Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56451 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #465 on: April 05, 2010, 03:39:31 pm »

My elven dungeon explorer just died after a suicidal jump... of two z-levels down. Not even via a mortal wound, just hit the floor and died on the spot. I guess they're a bit too frail for that.

Yeah, I figure a Z level is about the same as a story.  Two stories would be just below leg breaking height, maybe at with brittle bones.  Still much too low to kill you.  Unless you dive head first.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 05, 2010, 03:58:01 pm »

Pfft, I had a dwarf-sized adamantine colossi die to a 2z drop (onto slade, which may have made a difference). Makes me wonder if tissue material or what you impact on factors into things any, especially since I had a different one making regular 2-3z jumps off of/onto town features -- temples, castle roofs, etc. I also had one of those mini-colossi survive a multi-dozen z-level fall through a lava pipe into a magma sea. Shame the bugger couldn't get out of the thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 05, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »

My elven dungeon explorer just died after a suicidal jump... of two z-levels down. Not even via a mortal wound, just hit the floor and died on the spot. I guess they're a bit too frail for that.

Yeah, I figure a Z level is about the same as a story.  Two stories would be just below leg breaking height, maybe at with brittle bones.  Still much too low to kill you.  Unless you dive head first.

My expedition leader had that happen to him in one of my forts.  Pushed into the cistern, fell 2 levels.  Died on impact.  Another dwarf bled out having had the same thing happen.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 05, 2010, 04:19:55 pm »

I had my first experience with animalmen, after a lot of time just mucking around.  A cave swallowwoman spearman (haw haw) chased my spiderweb-collector across a cavern.  I drafted him so he threw a punch at her, then she took off... up into the thick of my fort, where she promptly began stabbing holes in my dogs.  I drafted a bunch of dwarves and they all piled on her and spent a while strangling her before she finally died, leaving the entire room around her sprayed in blood, vomit, and mud for some reason.  It was exciting.  The dogs both survived, despite having almost their whole bodies in red wounds.  Then the stupid weaver went off and got chased by another one.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 05, 2010, 04:56:17 pm »

Pfft, I had a dwarf-sized adamantine colossi die to a 2z drop (onto slade, which may have made a difference). Makes me wonder if tissue material or what you impact on factors into things any, especially since I had a different one making regular 2-3z jumps off of/onto town features -- temples, castle roofs, etc. I also had one of those mini-colossi survive a multi-dozen z-level fall through a lava pipe into a magma sea. Shame the bugger couldn't get out of the thing.
I thought fall impact damage happened at the surface of the liquid without there being another hard impact at the bottom of the fluid.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 05, 2010, 07:41:26 pm »

Hrm.

At least they're unarmed.
(this was a small world running for 5000 years with numbers of demons and subdemons maxed out. The only true civ was goblins, the others transformed into roving bands. One of the elven bands occupied a former human capitol and... went Chinese)

(also, this is just the mob I encountered while running from a similar mob up north)
Wow, it's like a zombie-apocalypse, but with elves... "The elf stands up" looks menacing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 05, 2010, 09:50:33 pm »

So.. walling off the edges of the map in the cavern doesn't prevent spawn... just... raises it up.

I have a wall lined with some furry under-lion dealios just perched up there scaring my dwarves. Bah.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 05, 2010, 10:24:00 pm »

what if you wall up to the cavern roof?

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 05, 2010, 10:30:20 pm »

I would, but now I'm worried that building stairs up to reach the walls would give the little nasties a fast-track to an all-you-can-eat dwarf buffet.

They're pretty harmless just standing up there on the wall, so... no harm, no foul, I suppose.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 05, 2010, 11:15:58 pm »

Hi guys, I havint read the whole topic yet but I saw some people comenting that the game runs much slower. I found a soulution to this, how ever it may have side effects in game play, im not shure. Go to your init file and go down untill you find partial print. Change it to YES and the game will run much faster (Leave it as 2). Ow though somethings run a bit to fast like the "beyond quailty" speach at the start races through.  ;D

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 06, 2010, 02:24:11 am »

I can now confirm that you can get legendary dwarfs as migrants. I got a legendary gem setter in my second wave before I even struck into the caverns. ;D

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 06, 2010, 03:03:54 am »

Yeah, I got a legendary engraver in my second wave. I only have 20 dwarves total dammit, I don't need a mythical doodler faffing about! And besides, he has even worse imagination and creativity than even my own two o7 engravers, which is quite a feat in itself. I reckon there'll be a LOT of squares carved around my burial halls...
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 06, 2010, 03:31:11 am »

Iton McSherif: Well, well. If it isn't Urist McEngraver, the famouse graffiti artist, I have a good mind to  put you away for a long time.
Urist McEngraver: You don't have a thing on me! If you don't have any evidence, and the nobals arn't ranting, you can't hold me!
Iton McSherif: We shall see about that boy! Empty your pockets!

*Urist McEngraver pulls out a chisel*

Iton McSherif: A ha! What do you call that! Your comming with me!
Urist McEngraver: That dosn't prove a thing! Its for making mugs, I swear it!
Iton McSherif: Very well. You got lucky this time, but don't let me catch you around here again! And I'm keeping the chisel!

*Urist MrEngraver runs off around a corner*

Iton Mcsherif: Wait, I forgot to check hes other pockets!

*Iton McSherif runs after Urist McEngraver*

*After turning a corner he finds the entire hallway filled with master work engravings of cats*

Iton McSherif: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 06, 2010, 08:27:30 am »

my dwarves absolutely refuse to move corpses of enemies for some reason... These corpses don't appear to be making miasma or anything, but it's kind of annoying since they're in high traffic areas. The blood seems to be spreading rather well... I've got a nice pool in my burial chambers, and I've got some lavish meals marinating in kobold blood across the map. I can't decide if that's a good or bad thing...it's certainly a dwarfy thing, though elf blood is preferable.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 06, 2010, 08:50:47 am »

Damn, forgotten beasts are nasty. Not because they're particularly tough, but because of their poison. I had a squad of 5 sword dwarves (of which only 3 had any skill at all) take down the beast in seconds.
Sweet, time to start celebrating my glorious victory, plump helmets for everyone, right?

Then I notice the miasma. I 'k' over it, and it's my youngest recruit and my militia commander (who dealt the final blow). Every single external body part is either brown or yellow. When they finally stagger back to hospital, it turns out they are literally rotting to pieces. Everything from their arms to their eyelids are 'severely rotted', and needs to be cleaned and then surgically removed.  :o

Poor little heroes.

Of course, as least they didn't suffer long; going to save, the game crashed  :-\

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36