Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56458 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #450 on: April 05, 2010, 12:22:41 am »

GENTLEMEN.

gentlemen.

I have discovered a way to mine Slade without modding. I don't know if it's useable, but it CAN be dug through.

If you find an underground temple (built of slade) have your miners dig underneath it and dig ramps up into it. Digging out ramps will destroy the slade flooring, leaving a single piece of slade ore (I dunno if you can smelt it or not...)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 05, 2010, 01:09:26 am »

Good good! Now that we can mine evilite slade we can begin analysis of its usefulness.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 05, 2010, 01:14:03 am »

GENTLEMEN.

gentlemen.

I have discovered a way to mine Slade without modding. I don't know if it's useable, but it CAN be dug through.

If you find an underground temple (built of slade) have your miners dig underneath it and dig ramps up into it. Digging out ramps will destroy the slade flooring, leaving a single piece of slade ore (I dunno if you can smelt it or not...)

Not to rain on the parade or anything, but that's probably an oversight on Toady's part.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 05, 2010, 02:21:33 am »

Gentlemen...
It's a insignificantly small step for humankind, but it's a huge step for dwarven research. Male Babydwarves are born with a beard! Or they do have rapidly growing beards.
Oh yeha, and the dwarven genetics seem to be working perfectly. The baby got the genetic traits of his parents mixed. (eyecolor of the mother but eyeshape of the father etc)

3 months old bearded dwarf baby:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 05, 2010, 02:23:06 am »

Most likely the cat was hungry and wanted to wait untill the kid got fatter and flavored with beer.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 05, 2010, 04:18:37 am »

I'd keep a careful watch on that kid, given his like for slade. He's up to something.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 05, 2010, 06:26:11 am »

The entire thread is really a big spoiler but still... ;)
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 05, 2010, 06:50:27 am »

Well, I'm far too early in the game to actually share some worthy news or something, but I do have a number of impressions :)

On Hellfish's post, I have heard rumours of
so keep on looking, I guess?

The military screen is a clusterfuck of epic proportions, but hell, change is always welcome, if not always nice. I do miss the "Activate only this dwarf" option, though, it made repelling early threats so much easier. I guess there must be some way to do that now, but I haven't really been looking for it.

Crundles! I freaking love Crundles. I mean, the description itself doesn't paint them as much, and they're hardly more than a temporary annoyance. But how can anyone see the name Crundle and not love it?

That's about it, actually... not much in the way of great posts, but the time will come for that, too :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 05, 2010, 07:33:19 am »

I got the slow pathfinding bug without having any flows on my map. After saving and loading a dozen times to deal with it one of my miners found his way to channels I had designated and proceded to break his neck when the only thing he could still dig was a channel over open space. I gave up on it and don't plan to keep going when I hit this bug until I have a better tool for dealing with it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 05, 2010, 09:56:49 am »

The entire thread is really a big spoiler but still... ;)

I've found it's a bit randomized how tough forgotten beasts are. I've had ones that died in one hit, and others that took on 50 armed dwarves with no problem.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 05, 2010, 01:18:56 pm »

Hrm.

At least they're unarmed.
(this was a small world running for 5000 years with numbers of demons and subdemons maxed out. The only true civ was goblins, the others transformed into roving bands. One of the elven bands occupied a former human capitol and... went Chinese)

(also, this is just the mob I encountered while running from a similar mob up north)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:20:49 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:54 pm »

Bronze is MUCH better than iron now. I mean seriously, a bronze weapon will cut through iron armor like it wasn't even there, same with bronze bolts. Whereas iron weapons will get deflected by even copper armor.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 05, 2010, 02:09:48 pm »

Hi!

I just need to express this.

There is so much new stuff to discover. When your dwarves start breeding, check the personality page of the new-born, especially the age entry.

Not much, but another case of love for detail.

This game is just so awesome!

Deathworks

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 05, 2010, 02:48:41 pm »

Hilarity ensued earlier when a one humped camel wandered into my fortress.  Everyone started canceling their tasks so I requisitioned a quick militia to kill it.  Of course camels are pretty fast and skittish when attacked so...queue Benny Hill music.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 05, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »

My elven dungeon explorer just died after a suicidal jump... of two z-levels down. Not even via a mortal wound, just hit the floor and died on the spot. I guess they're a bit too frail for that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36