Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56493 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #390 on: April 03, 2010, 08:59:10 pm »

I just met my first forgotten beast, a giant woodpecker with a trunk and bronze feathers.

Of course, it HAD to be flying, the ONE way anything from the underground could get into my fortress.
a giant woodpecker... with a trunk?

just... trying to rap my head around that. Is it in addition to the beak? or instead of the beak? then how is it a woodpecker?

or does it have a beak on the end of its trunk? truly, it is a horror from the deeps...

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 03, 2010, 09:02:23 pm »

Why do you assume the trunk is on it's face? I would assume the trunk to be in place of the torso. My only question, doesn't it peck at itself?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 03, 2010, 09:06:09 pm »

do forgotten beasts trigger traps when knocked unconscious/stunned?

cus if so I'ma have ta make a combination cave in cage trap or something.put the weird thing in my zoo for when the nobles make me mad.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 03, 2010, 09:14:40 pm »

Why do you assume the trunk is on it's face? I would assume the trunk to be in place of the torso. My only question, doesn't it peck at itself?
When I hear trunk I think Elephant really, so naturally I assume it has something to do with the face.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 03, 2010, 09:57:03 pm »

I just realized, I only have 14 dwarves currently, and I just had another forgotten beast come. So, as such, I doubt that Forgotten Beasts come based on population. It may have been my wealth or the adamantine.

Something to add to the wiki.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #396 on: April 03, 2010, 09:57:11 pm »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 03, 2010, 10:02:32 pm »

So now I'm moving my entire fortress directly on top of the HFS shaft, with a long ramp extending from the surface down for caravans.

Elven Trader-(Panting) Ugggh, I havent seen a tree in months, where's that trade dep -- whats this? A mysterious red substance approaching me with radiating warmth? Ah, how nice, a heating system! Dwarven engineering, by Armo--AAARRRGHHHHH IT BURRRRNS!

It's taking a ridiculously long time to designate. You really don't realize just how many z-levels deep you are until you have to designate a ramp on each and every one of them.

Also, does anyone know if caravans can go down a ramp that's like this?

Code: [Select]
level one:
████████
█▲++████
█▲++████
█▲++████
████████

Level two:
███████
███▲++█
███▲++█
███▲++█
███████

etc.

It'll work, I have something like that on my current fort and it works.

My first fort was just an experiment to dig down and get a glimpse of the good stuff, on my current one I'm carefully getting an industry up and running proper dwarf living quarters, barracks, hospital, etc. Pretty close to the surface so far, once everything is stable, I'll send a fully outfitted squad further down and conquer everything in sight, get some slade/adamantine, and try to raid the HFS.
After everyone dies horribly, I'll revisit as an adventurer, collect the useful artifacts, and invade hell.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2010, 10:37:27 pm »

This version really makes me have to use more Z-friendly design. Unless there's weird plumbing projects involved, I never need more than, oh, 6 Z-levels to make a huge fortress. Other than that it's all exploratory digging and the like. But it seems silly (aside from magma) to explore the caverns because there's already more exposed gems, metal and coal than I can use. I feel like the caverns should be more important somehow; as it is they feel optional.

Also, three years in with 150K fortress wealth and no goblins? I can see they have a civ within range... so why no invasions?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2010, 10:39:33 pm »

You should still need a minimum of 80 dwarves before you can get sieges.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 03, 2010, 10:41:26 pm »

You should still need a minimum of 80 dwarves before you can get sieges.
I coulda sworn they came before then in 40d. At least as ambushes or whatever.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 03, 2010, 10:50:05 pm »

This version really makes me have to use more Z-friendly design. Unless there's weird plumbing projects involved, I never need more than, oh, 6 Z-levels to make a huge fortress. Other than that it's all exploratory digging and the like. But it seems silly (aside from magma) to explore the caverns because there's already more exposed gems, metal and coal than I can use. I feel like the caverns should be more important somehow; as it is they feel optional.

Also, three years in with 150K fortress wealth and no goblins? I can see they have a civ within range... so why no invasions?

Remembering that goblins come from out of the limited amount in legends and take time for populations to regrow, I would guess attacks are going to be larger and more organized in order to minimize losses, otherwise we might whip out all goblins from the face of the earth! And that would be annoying because then we need to start war with other races, and they make for awesome trade partners now.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 03, 2010, 10:52:32 pm »

So for my first actual attempt at a fortress I embarked on a glacier to be sure there was no flowing water. Ironically I struck the Earth over a cavern that naturally floods itself. I still get 20 fps in spite of the water so I've been able to engineer several collapses to seal off sections but because of bad luck I've still got a few open sections in the dams.

The only animal around in the visible area is a forgotten beast but he's cut off from me because of what appears to be a glitch in the underground layer- There are about three layers of air over the surface but at a region tile boundary the floor drops 3 tiles without any ramps or such. He wanders away long before I ever meet him.

I quickly saw a roaming giant cave spider and undesignated all tasks near it. Later on it decided to patrol up into my access tunnel and start attacking my poor mason. The cook was also nearby and without any kind of help they obliterated it without any harm to themselves.

More fruitless cave ins and I have a troll show up and go stand around in some 6 deep water. Like the spider it decides to come up to meet me and mangles my mechanic badly while I try to work out how to station a squad somewhere. I end up just telling the squad to kill him instead and the first recruit is able to wound the troll all over even reducing the function of some of its organs but can't cause any lethal damage. With the whole fort showing up to lay down on the same tile and punch him in the feet the troll finally drops, but the wood cutter's axe is probably the reason for that.

I'm surprised the mechanic managed to drag himself up to my hospital zone before dieing of thirst but even after a good deal of work form the doctor nobody will bring him water. Unfortunately she is also slow to heal but maybe crutches and casts and splints and... um, a new throat will help.

Each time I load some rocks all over around the wet areas collapse for no apparent reason.
Unfortunately this fort is probably over because they've all gone FUN and won't perform most jobs normally anymore opting instead to hang around jobless at the meeting zone no matter how many times I save and load.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 03, 2010, 10:58:42 pm »

I suspect the whole 150 z levels on a flat embark thing is a bug. If you create a world from the 'design a new world with parameters' menu and use any of the defaults, you'll get something more like 50 total. It's just the 'create a new world now' worlds (or ones you've designed to have a ludicrous number of Z levels) that are so massively huge.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 04, 2010, 02:59:50 am »

When I hear trunk I think Elephant really, so naturally I assume it has something to do with the face.
And here I thought "trunk" was roughly the same thing as "torso".
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36