Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56517 times)

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #375 on: April 03, 2010, 06:20:43 pm »

Well at least you can actually MILK non-vermin creatures now.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 03, 2010, 06:36:00 pm »

Well at least you can actually MILK non-vermin creatures now.
After you un-cage them. trying to milk a caged animal results in continous tug-of-war between hauler and milker!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 03, 2010, 06:52:23 pm »

Just noticed an elf bringing in stuff on a warthog.  Just thought that was amusing.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 03, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »

I embarked on a desert with no lava and, upon embarking, realized there was no coal. So I decided to dig down and see if I could find the magma down there.

Just broke into the magma sea. I'm actually quite surprised at how little resistance I had getting there, and how little there was when I actually breached it. I was expecting a swarm of unkillable fire-spewing of fog-demons charging into my fortress and raping everyone, though I guess that comes next.

Then, I noticed that one of my miners was thirsty, then realized I was over 100 z-levels below my main fortress.
So then, I thought, "This won't do, my dwarves having to walk over 100 z-levels just to get to the magma forges..."

My first thought was to pump it up to my fortress. My second thought was to just move the food and such down, which I liked but then I had another thought, "But food and beds are pretty much my entire fortress right now..."

So now I'm moving my entire fortress directly on top of the HFS shaft, with a long ramp extending from the surface down for caravans.

I also find it humorous that I've managed to get this far down before the first caravan has arrived.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:11:31 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 03, 2010, 07:20:33 pm »

Going down is easy, if you miss all the cool stuff.  Try exploring the midlevels, will ya? You might find something FUN!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 03, 2010, 07:27:11 pm »

Going down is easy, if you miss all the cool stuff.  Try exploring the midlevels, will ya? You might find something FUN!

I hit all the mid levels, though I just mined around them because I don't have a military yet (except the first one, I walled off a small section and began farming it because I was running out of food).

When I have a military of some kind (likely in full adamantine) then I'll explore the other cool stuff.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 03, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »

Just wiped out my first camp of reptile people. After my dwarves made their way back topside, they proceeded to wash the blood off themselves at the well in the middle of my courtyard. The blood, went, everywhere. Now my statues are soaked in blood, my farm plots are drenched in blood, my trade depot is covered with blood, everything in sight is stained that crimson red.
I can just imagine what the elves will think when their caravan shows up...

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 03, 2010, 07:37:09 pm »

just got elves.

They have a breeding pair of elephants for sale.

If I can buy them my meat problems will be solved FOREVAH

also, HOW DO YOU MAKE LYE

I noticed that even though they're arriving alive, the tame animals brought by the elves aren't showing up in the Animals screen after I "buy" them.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Eagle + Exploding Booze = Phoenix
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 03, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »

So now I'm moving my entire fortress directly on top of the HFS shaft, with a long ramp extending from the surface down for caravans.

Elven Trader-(Panting) Ugggh, I havent seen a tree in months, where's that trade dep -- whats this? A mysterious red substance approaching me with radiating warmth? Ah, how nice, a heating system! Dwarven engineering, by Armo--AAARRRGHHHHH IT BURRRRNS!
“PHOENIX, n. The classical prototype of the modern "small hot bird."

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 03, 2010, 08:02:08 pm »

Elven Trader-(Panting) Ugggh, I havent seen a tree in months, where's that trade dep -- whats this? A mysterious red substance approaching me with radiating warmth? Ah, how nice, a heating system! Dwarven engineering, by Armo--AAARRRGHHHHH IT BURRRRNS!

It's taking a ridiculously long time to designate. You really don't realize just how many z-levels deep you are until you have to designate a ramp on each and every one of them.

Also, does anyone know if caravans can go down a ramp that's like this?

Code: [Select]
level one:
████████
█▲++████
█▲++████
█▲++████
████████

Level two:
███████
███▲++█
███▲++█
███▲++█
███████

etc.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 03, 2010, 08:03:58 pm »

Elven Trader-(Panting) Ugggh, I havent seen a tree in months, where's that trade dep -- whats this? A giant clear glass scorpion! Of all the nerve! How many trees did they kill to make it? and what's that in its mouth!

A dwarf head? Did it just... did it just move? Sweet Sun Berries Nooooooo!!!

Hey, it's not like the traders are psychic. How would they know you'd dug too deep?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 03, 2010, 08:16:03 pm »

So, for some reason my custom tileset refuses to work. I've seen pictures of other people with custom tilesets, so I don't know what's wrong. It's an 8x8 tileset. I haven't misspelled the file name, I've done the window size math right, and the file is a bmp (this version can't use pngs, right?).

Pheonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Eagle + Exploding Booze = Phoenix
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 03, 2010, 08:17:05 pm »

@abculatter_2: It'll work like that I believe. Personally, When I have a long way down to travel, I like to work in tight circles on my descent so space doesnt have to be so tight, and you'd be moving more or less straight down.  ;)

@Gread: I'd know if I was descending ramps for a month, and happened upon magma (oh sweet mother of carp and all things wooden not magma, no, NOT MAGMA...:D

@penguinofhonor: Will it refuse to work at all, as in a crash at startup? Or is the screen just black?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:21:05 pm by Pheonix »
“PHOENIX, n. The classical prototype of the modern "small hot bird."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:08 pm »

@penguinofhonor: Will it refuse to work at all, as in a crash at startup? Or is the screen just black?

It crashes at the startup.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 03, 2010, 08:31:44 pm »

I just met my first forgotten beast, a giant woodpecker with a trunk and bronze feathers.

Of course, it HAD to be flying, the ONE way anything from the underground could get into my fortress.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36