Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56549 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2010, 11:56:40 am »

Ya, the biggest problem I have come across so far is the military screen... Someone needs to write a tutorial on it or something since it is so hard to figure out.

QFTMFT.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2010, 12:12:04 pm »

Ok, I only caught it after some dwarfs had started hauling it away to some random stockpile, but butchering the forgotten beast yeilded;

61 shells
24 lungs
36 intestines
a feather
71 fat
294 meat
99 bone
and a skin.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2010, 12:17:02 pm »

http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/blhkj/how_to_use_the_new_military_screen/ <-- Here.

I used the DF Magmawiki and figured it out.  It's not that complicated, but it is not strait forward.

daysanew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2010, 12:23:11 pm »

So I sent my first expedition force to explore a cavern I found. I didn't have enough red shirts uniforms to go around for my squad, but that was ok. So my milita commander was the first one down into the cavern and the first one attacked by the giant olm. It went well considering none of my guys was trained in anything and my two crossbow men forgot to get ammo (or I didn't set it up right ot get wooden/bone ammo). at the beginning of the fight the olm latched onto, then ripped out my militia commander's right hand off, then happily dropped it on the ground. But my militia commander, well he is tough, and apparently doesn't bleed, as he was able to use his one good hand and strike a blow to the olm before he was knocked down. The rest of hte fight was spent by my crossbow men chasing the hurt olm around hitting it over the head with their crossbows until the militia commander was able to get up and finish it off with is axe again.
I was quiet surprised to find that A. a torn off hand doesn't bleed, and B. A torn off hand doesn't need medical care and C. A torn off hand is fine after a day or so (besides the one hand thing).
Also a few other things I noticed. When my one handed dwarf was unhappy he had several meeting with the current outpost leader and felt better afterwards (his statues said he felt better after crying one someone's shoulders), this maybe an old feature as I haven't played the older version a lot.
Not sure if the hand thing is a bug, as I wanted to see the healthcare in action. But the dwarf wasn't bleeding, nor in pain so after the shock went away everything seemed find.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2010, 12:53:42 pm »

I had a Milker show up in my first immigration wave. He came with a cow. The cow turned out not to be a heifer, but a bull.

I'm... I'm not going to eat that cheese.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

talrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2010, 01:26:58 pm »

So I channelled into the sea of magma....  It was home to a lone Fire Man.

Said Fire Man booked it like all hell STRAIGHT up the path I had opened... I thought it was the end for my undefended fortress...  Instead he headed straight north and right off of my map.

I think he was running late..

*Puts on glasses*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 03, 2010, 01:45:22 pm »

For those who mentioned problem with no tasks at soap makers shop - there are none until you have all the resources for creating soap, i.e. tallow and lye. After you have everything you need "make soap" order just pops out there.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2010, 01:47:03 pm »

Lol, just tested out my huge drop shaft with a donkey. Everything flew off the torso. The tail, the head, and all 4 legs.

On another note, we must rethink our relations with the elves! Of the two forts I have built so far that lasted til spring, elves have brought awesome goods! Namely, 3 grizzly bears for one of them, and a giant eagle for the other! On the first trip!

@ diego: ya, the biggest problem seems to be the inability to put lye into a barrel after it is made (in buckets).

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2010, 02:02:06 pm »

OH JEEZ I FORGET WHAT YOU MAKE LYE OUT OF

without soap, my wounded dwarf is just pulling pus out of her wounds and leaving it ALL OVER THE PLACE

there is dwarf pus all around the well - it's not a sanitary drinking area!

also, you got elves? I didn't even get the dwarven trade caravan in autumn!

when do elves usually show up? late spring?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2010, 02:06:43 pm »

It would appear they do. Just be sure to have plenty of mugs, since with the weights on goods lowered, they bring a lot of stuff even on the first trip. I didn't start mug production until they showed up and only barely managed to get the giant eagle by selling uncut gems I have lieing around.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 03, 2010, 02:10:23 pm »

What do the
look like in 3D? Do any of the 3D programs work with 2010?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 03, 2010, 02:13:28 pm »

ok, just had my second forgotten beast this year. It fell into an underground lake somehow in the process of the fight. Pumps are now being constructed So I can recover the corpse.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 03, 2010, 02:15:49 pm »

What do the
look like in 3D? Do any of the 3D programs work with 2010?
Not as good as they look in my imagination, that much is certain. I'm trying to avoid 3D programs for this release.  ;)

That said, I can speculate as to what they look like: 1. hard to see in because of the pillars 2. Not as cool as the game interface makes them appear 3. more colorful than a Mc Donalds play area due to all the stone types

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 03, 2010, 02:24:38 pm »

just got elves.

They have a breeding pair of elephants for sale.

If I can buy them my meat problems will be solved FOREVAH

also, HOW DO YOU MAKE LYE
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36