Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56568 times)

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #285 on: April 02, 2010, 08:07:35 pm »

Also, my only docter is still resting in bed, I checked his wounds and his left upper leg is yellow, but it only says he has a scar. Anyone know whats up with that?

Physician save thyself! I seem to recall hearing that until the wound is diagnosed, you don't actually get much information on it. My guess is, since there's nothing wrong outwardly, it's probably a broken bone. Since dwarves won't work while injured (until they're treated anyway) and he's your only doctor, his wound has gone undiagnosed.
Thing is, he's perfectly fine with standing around, doing nothing. He doesn't even go over to the booze stockpile to drink.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 02, 2010, 08:18:41 pm »

Iton: I'm sorry Urist, you have terminal SDS, there is no cure.
Urist: Oh by Armok, NO! What does SDS stand for?
Iton: Stupid dwarf syndrome.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 02, 2010, 08:24:52 pm »

My weaver went beserk so i sent my militia commander to go fight him..
"The Weaver throws the militia commander by the upper front tooth with the weaver's left hand!"
...What?

...the weavers winning so much.. it appears his silk cloth is deflecting the militia commanders attacks quite well...

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 02, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »

In adventure mode, I ended up wandering in the underground cavern system without seeing a single damn enemy for twenty minutes before killing myself.

Blah.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 02, 2010, 08:37:47 pm »

Wow. On this map only 40 levels down I came across ClownVille. Commencing operation "Shell the Damned Things." This shall consist of caving in natural rocks down through the magma ocean and into ClownVille, leaving big gaping holes at the bottom of said magma ocean. This shall be Fun. Edit: Oh ya, it also goes down through a massive underground lake before penetrating into the magma ocean. It will go from -24 to clownville at -38.

On another note, this fort seems to be going fairly well. Luckily I haven't encountered goblins yet, since my skills with the military screens are still abysmal (at least I got em to train now!). So far, I have lost around 3 dwarves in "Mining accidents." And another dwarf because none of the other three dropped the "body parts" he demanded for his mood.  8)
Of those 3 dead, 1 died instantly, 2 died of infection due to failing to figure out how to run a hospital in time (got that down now aside from the bugged plaster and soap). I haven't yet figured out how to even start getting dwarves to teach each other skills.

So far my favorite clown description is a winged leech made of fire.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:41:54 pm by alway »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 02, 2010, 08:48:42 pm »

I REALLY wish this "Clown" fad wasn't real... but apperantly it is...

Anyhow one issue I have is how impossible it can be to get into caves. ARROWS EVERYWHERE!

I've only gotten in once by pure luck (plus the cave only had two arrows)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 02, 2010, 08:51:17 pm »

I REALLY wish this "Clown" fad wasn't real.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 02, 2010, 09:00:03 pm »

Heh, make that 5 dead in mining accidents... Lost 2 upon dropping my rock. Made a wonderful hole right down to the glowing pits... unfortunately, it isn't filling up since glowing pits are like bottomless pits.

Also, is it just me or are everyone's glowing pits at or around -40? I thought we were supposed to be able to go down to -100 or so...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:22:39 pm by alway »

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #293 on: April 02, 2010, 09:24:01 pm »

Depends on the world I think. My first fort had them 188 z's below the surface.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2010, 10:35:44 pm »

Whoah. This is new, right?

Draws quite a stark contrast to the dwarves we know, going into battle with their babies recklessly swinging from their beards.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2010, 10:50:02 pm »

Well I just got my first crash.  Spent six hours on this fortress and now it's all gone because I never got around to saving.  I guess this is what we were supposed to be expecting but it doesn't make it any less agitating.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2010, 11:01:27 pm »

Well, on a glacier embark I had to dig 100 levels to find a cavern. On my current embark, I had a sea full of lava before 100 levels.

How deep you have to dig is random.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2010, 12:59:09 am »

I kinda don't like how narrow/small these caves are, I was hoping for more open and sparse caves.

In that case I don't think you have explored the entire cave system!
I know they are far, but they just aren't big enough for me, they just seem so small.

Also, my only docter is still resting in bed, I checked his wounds and his left upper leg is yellow, but it only says he has a scar. Anyone know whats up with that?

The full cave system spans entirely along both X and Y axis, as well as many Z levels. Maybe you just forgot about the new fog of war. You need to explore the caves you see!
I know, but most of the time they are very narrow and shallow, I was hoping for more epic caverns.
Actually, it's your lucky day. Next time you gen a world, check the advanced parameters for 'min openness for caverns' or something along those lines. In all likelihood that should solve your problem entirely.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 03, 2010, 01:12:13 am »

Whoah. This is new, right?

Draws quite a stark contrast to the dwarves we know, going into battle with their babies recklessly swinging from their beards.

Miscarriages are actually not new.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2010, 01:35:40 am »

Digging too deep... or trying to! I've dug down to -154, which is -10 on the lower black numbers, and am encountering semi-molten rock.

Not warm stone, which cancels digging designations with a message. Semi-molten Rock, which cancels digging designations silently and is probably undiggable entirely. So far every square I've revealed with my stairways on level -155 has been semi-molten, so I can't dig any deeper yet--I'm making exploratory shafts and rooms to try to figure out if it's possible to dig deeper or if the whole level is semi-molten and I've dug down to the Mohorovičić discontinuity. I believe that would probably qualify as Too Deep, demons or no demons.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36