Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56526 times)

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2010, 12:54:49 pm »

In uniform designing you can stumble upon raw adamantine items, so it maybe could be possible to make items out of certain rocks.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2010, 12:57:06 pm »

I now have some items with no material, for instance, a goblet. In the description it says "This is a goblet" with no material listed. it is also a no quality item...

Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2010, 01:00:20 pm »

Old bug is old.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »

Slade has no metal version or anything like that for a reason. It is unminable. I came across some non-clown HFS in a temple made of slade (see a few pages back), and it can not be designated for mining (much like partially molten rock found at magma seas). However, I would bet removing the [DEEP] tag would change that...

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2010, 01:18:57 pm »

My impressions of the new version?

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2062-dwarvesvselves-bloodbathroyale

Made of awesome.
Sanity is for the weak.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2010, 01:19:59 pm »

Slade has no metal version or anything like that for a reason. It is unminable. I came across some non-clown HFS in a temple made of slade (see a few pages back), and it can not be designated for mining (much like partially molten rock found at magma seas). However, I would bet removing the [DEEP] tag would change that...
I'm going to test that. removing [DEEP_SURFACE] from slade in the raws causes a error box saying Missing Reaction Definition.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:32:39 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2010, 01:52:05 pm »

Someone try mining slade with an adamantine pick.

What, it might work!

Either that or slade is probably meant to be a 'drop-only' kind of material, is my guess.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:56:31 pm by Normandy »

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2010, 02:01:33 pm »

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD MY DWARVES ARE FLASHING WHITE AND BROWN DOWN ARROWS WHAT DOES IT MEAN OH GOD WHAT DO I DO

EDIT: Also, gypsum plaster?

You need fuel to make rock powder?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:03:42 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2010, 02:17:47 pm »

Just broke into an underground cavern.  So that's what towercaps look like.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2010, 02:31:31 pm »

Looking through the plant raws to get that page of the wiki back up, I've discovered that gnomeblight actually does something now. It... poisons gnomes. Somehow. I'm not sure how you use it, but it does something now!
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2010, 02:43:02 pm »

What, it might work!

Either that or slade is probably meant to be a 'drop-only' kind of material, is my guess.
Ya, I was thinking to try with adamantine, but then I figured since it was disallowing the actual designation rather than just an error message, it is probably unminable. Which leaves one experiment to do: mine out under it and drop it.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2010, 03:03:39 pm »

!!HFS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HFS!!

Also, first impressions?  Dug into an underground cavern, giant cave spider webs all over the place, and a toad ate my dwarves, while troglodytes beat the snot out of my doctor before chasing after a horse.  I saw a little white "2" that usually represents remains or bones next to the doctor, and when I 'k'ed it, it was his "right front tooth".  If I survive this, I will make it into a totem.

Regarding your !!!STUFF!!!

I need to try and play a serious fort, haha. Can't wait to seriously attempt to tame the underwilds.

Interesting. One of mine likes
which seemed thematically appropriate for the season.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2010, 03:05:31 pm »

What, it might work!

Ya, I was thinking to try with adamantine, but then I figured since it was disallowing the actual designation rather than just an error message, it is probably unminable. Which leaves one experiment to do: mine out under it and drop it.

I fiddled with reveal2 a bit and found out that while you can't put a dig designation on Slade, you can apparently put a channel one on top of some Slade.  Also, reveal really gives you an idea on how absurdly common the veins and gems are now.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2010, 03:06:10 pm »

So how are you supposed to make weapons out of slade? It only appears as a rock in the raws, as far as I can tell, not a metal.

Is it [SHARP]? (Can't check myself, not at my home computer.) If so, you could make something similar to obsidian short swords. Other than that, I don't know; maybe it is specially handled like adamantine production?
The [SHARP] Tag appears to be out entirely, Obsidian no longer has it. Slade and Raw Adamantine both use Metal Material Templates though, maybe that has something to do with it?

It may be impossible to actually make anything out of them in Dwarf Mode. Have we seen any outside of the Arena? You can give your combatants weapons and armor made out of any metal in the arena, so I imagine the same thing may be true of Slade.

I remember Toady pondering whether he should allow adamantine titans, but I can't recall how that was resolved. Probably the same thing applies to Slade, in which case you should be able to at least get bits and pieces of it (i.e. severed limbs) to use in adventure mode.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2010, 03:10:39 pm »

Anyway, my best guess is that Slade is hardcoded to be indestructible. If you look in the Raw definitions, it's density, strength in all categories, etc. are all so absurdly high, I'm not sure nuclear fire would melt it.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36