Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56524 times)

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2010, 10:42:30 am »

It seems that rising pets for food is more prosperous than ever :)

On side note, I dropped a bronze colossus 4 z-levels and not only didn't he mind it but he slaughtered a herd of unicorns whilst wrestling another colossus. Theese guys rule.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:59 am »

!!HFS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HFS!!

Also, first impressions?  Dug into an underground cavern, giant cave spider webs all over the place, and a toad ate my dwarves, while troglodytes beat the snot out of my doctor before chasing after a horse.  I saw a little white "2" that usually represents remains or bones next to the doctor, and when I 'k'ed it, it was his "right front tooth".  If I survive this, I will make it into a totem.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2010, 11:17:43 am »

I'v been spoiled by lurking on the forums but I broke into the caves but I am walling off a section to act as a check point/Military barracks/ Farming zone. However the rest of the cave is going to be a dangerous frontier space
Thank you based dwarf.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2010, 11:22:54 am »

!!HFS
HFS!!

Also, first impressions?  Dug into an underground cavern, giant cave spider webs all over the place, and a toad ate my dwarves, while troglodytes beat the snot out of my doctor before chasing after a horse.  I saw a little white "2" that usually represents remains or bones next to the doctor, and when I 'k'ed it, it was his "right front tooth".  If I survive this, I will make it into a totem.

Regarding your !!!STUFF!!!

I need to try and play a serious fort, haha. Can't wait to seriously attempt to tame the underwilds.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2010, 11:24:30 am »

had an encounter with crundles left me with three dead, one of which was my expedition leader, and I now seem to be unable to appoint new nobles. the only ones I have show up under [n] are the broker and chief medical dwarf, who are thankfully alive and well. is this a bug?
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2010, 11:33:00 am »

In the legends i just found a forgotten beast that was in the shape of a tarantula and made entirely of flames and i cant wait to kill it
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2010, 11:40:22 am »

All my dwarves are fat and over 70. They're also lazy, cowardly, stupid, weak and susceptible to illness.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2010, 11:40:43 am »

So how are you supposed to make weapons out of slade? It only appears as a rock in the raws, as far as I can tell, not a metal.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2010, 11:40:57 am »

Just had a single ogre eradicate my entire fortress before the first season was up.
No, he wasn't a killing machine, my fortress starved to death wrestling him for most of the season with 6 dwarves and 6 dogs piled on his exhausted, unconscious bulk punching and biting with no apparent effect. It was like that time they tried to choke a zombie fox to death...

I had this in reverse. Two of my dwarfs were attacked by fishhead-men or the like, and though both dwarves quickly had just about EVERY limb in their body horribly mangled, the dwarves just wouldn't die.

The wound list in their status screen was huge, and because the fishheads kept kicking and stabbing them, even bodyparts I had never heard of (like floating ribs) were eventually in red. They kept surviving for a month to come though, before finally dying of dehydration. Shouldn't they bleed to death or die from general trauma or something? I just kept begging for them to feel the sweet relief of death. :-\

Actually, now that you mention it, that's the whole reason they were trying to kill that ogre in the first place. While they were killing his two buddies (I guess this is before they all decided to drop their weapons?) He was busy beating the booze out of my other miner. The thrashing lasted for the better part of a week and left the miner with all his organs cyan and all his other parts red. Eventually he starved to death, with the rest of the fortress.

ray10k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2010, 11:55:26 am »

I first had a problem where the game would crash whenever I tried to make a new world, but later found out that turning off the graphics solved that problem (I understand the "mayday" version had something to do with fixing this bug).
also, seeing how this is a first impressions thread, my initial response to my first found cave: "hmm? why did the game pause? did I find hidden fun stuff?... ok, this isnt HFS in the normal sense, BUT (...) IS IT FUN!!!"

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2010, 11:59:39 am »

In interface.txt I couldn't help but notice
[DISPLAY_STRING:KEYHANGULKANA:Hangul/Kana]
[DISPLAY_STRING:SHIFT+KEYHANGULKANA:Shift + Hangul/Kana]
[DISPLAY_STRING:KEYJUNJA:Junja]
[DISPLAY_STRING:SHIFT+KEYJUNJA:Shift + Junja]

wtf?

That are asian writing systems. Korean, Japanese, etc.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 02, 2010, 12:27:42 pm »

So how are you supposed to make weapons out of slade? It only appears as a rock in the raws, as far as I can tell, not a metal.

Is it [SHARP]? (Can't check myself, not at my home computer.) If so, you could make something similar to obsidian short swords. Other than that, I don't know; maybe it is specially handled like adamantine production?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2010, 12:33:39 pm »

my dwarves appear to be having some sort of kinky strip party in my dining hall... I have no dwarves being trained atm, the barracks is far away, and yet there are piles of clothes littering my dining room. there are sufficient stockpiles for clothing and the like, so I can only assume they belong to the dwarves... why they aren't wearing them, I haven't the foggiest.

Edit: Also, my craftsdwarf's workshop for some reason has the task to "make Unknown material crafts"  It isn't getting worked on, and it appears to be blocking other tasks, but I'm gonna try and get a screenshot....how to i get screenshots again?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:50:29 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 02, 2010, 12:38:33 pm »

I think the answer to that is in your sig-quote actually.

I've been tentatively trying to comprehend the creature raws.  ...Augh.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2010, 12:40:06 pm »

Is it [SHARP]? (Can't check myself, not at my home computer.) If so, you could make something similar to obsidian short swords. Other than that, I don't know; maybe it is specially handled like adamantine production?
The [SHARP] Tag appears to be out entirely, Obsidian no longer has it. Slade and Raw Adamantine both use Metal Material Templates though, maybe that has something to do with it?

It may be impossible to actually make anything out of them in Dwarf Mode. Have we seen any outside of the Arena? You can give your combatants weapons and armor made out of any metal in the arena, so I imagine the same thing may be true of Slade.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36