Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56503 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2010, 06:12:04 am »

You should probably report bugs in bug forum, so Today will notice them.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2010, 06:16:20 am »

Just had a single ogre eradicate my entire fortress before the first season was up.
No, he wasn't a killing machine, my fortress starved to death wrestling him for most of the season with 6 dwarves and 6 dogs piled on his exhausted, unconscious bulk punching and biting with no apparent effect. It was like that time they tried to choke a zombie fox to death...

I had this in reverse. Two of my dwarfs were attacked by fishhead-men or the like, and though both dwarves quickly had just about EVERY limb in their body horribly mangled, the dwarves just wouldn't die.

The wound list in their status screen was huge, and because the fishheads kept kicking and stabbing them, even bodyparts I had never heard of (like floating ribs) were eventually in red. They kept surviving for a month to come though, before finally dying of dehydration. Shouldn't they bleed to death or die from general trauma or something? I just kept begging for them to feel the sweet relief of death. :-\

EDIT:
Another bug I noticed:

I had explored part of a cave, but I couldn't reach it yet, with ocean in the way. Trying to dig my way towards it, the digging designations tiles that would connect to the non-accessible part of the cave would keep getting cancelled, stating: 'Digging designation cancelled: Urist Mcminer is unable to reach location'.

I know you are unable to reach it! That's why I want you to dig there from our side of the cave! Stop cancelling it and just proceed!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:31:46 am by MathijsBuster »
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2010, 06:33:48 am »

Does anybody know where to find the raws for demons? I have looked around and didn't notice them.

Vermadus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2010, 06:53:45 am »

Hopped into generating your own world, and maaaan!
You can pick how many titans and demons you want, which i all pulled to the max (1000) and of course, z-level aboveground, wooo!

After also making my small world filled with terrifying and removing all titan requirements to wait to attack, I embarked with some biters and doctors and checked around.

250+ z-levels on a 4x4 and still 100 fps, imagine my surprise!
Of course, the first thing i did was dig downwards, and not a few minutes later, I hit a cavern! Sadly since this isn't merged i couldn't zoom out so I couldn't get a good overview, but damn!

The military screen is a bit confusing, so I couldn't draft my dwarves to fight the wandering skeleton carp and the titans.

I'll wait for the merge and some tilesets, and then have some more FUN.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2010, 07:41:11 am »

Ya, the biggest problem I have come across so far is the military screen... Someone needs to write a tutorial on it or something since it is so hard to figure out.

GoogleFrog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2010, 07:54:20 am »

First impression: Oh no I'm going to starve farms aren't working.

Then I was amazed at how deep it is. I dug through 3 caverns down to Z level 21 (from surface at 160) and hit semi-molten rock. This was a bit disappointing as the rock seems to have purpose other than get in the way. After a bit of exploration I discovered that by pure chance I had mined down the middle of a large column of rock in the middle of a magma sea :D.

I set up a burrow with booze, food and beds for my miners about 2/3 of the way down as they were wasting so much time walking up and down. Unfortunately the burrow didn't work as I could only define it to the edge of what I had already mined out. They would mine out 1 layer of rock then proceed to mooch around their booze stockpile waiting for me to tell them the newly discovered rock is part of their burrow.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2010, 08:28:33 am »

The requirement to irrigate underground farms in Fort mode, however, is seriously limiting.  There should be at least SOME very low value plant/fungus that can be grown in non-irrigated conditions.
It's been said already and I'll say it again, this is a bug and will be fixed. You are supposed to be able to farm in soil without irrigating it.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2010, 08:37:53 am »

Wow, no more cooking of seeds! I guess that never really made sense anyway, making a whole meal from one cooked seed. I wonder if that change is related to the farming bug...
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2010, 08:41:01 am »

So can we conclude that slade will now make for the weapon of choice? I think we can!

After digging around a bit and finding a fair amount of FUN I'm wondering from somebody who managed to get a real fortress going strong, is there a lot of slade, or not much...
I found quite a bit of it, but its not letting me mine it out! :-[
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2010, 08:42:01 am »

Possible bug:
"She is tough, but she is very weak" in one of my dorf's status screen.

I think I remember hearing Toady say something about this.  "Tough" I think actually describes physical constitution, as in they don't get hurt easily.  It doesn't have any direct relationship to strength.  I'm picturing an old dwarf lady who falls, doesn't break her hip, but still can't get back up.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2010, 08:47:39 am »

My nearly legendary miner just died because he didn't want to path over 1/7 magma  :-[. God damn 2 tile chamber of magma hidden in adamantite.. I'll never again mine adamantite with multiple miners.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then the game crashed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:52:40 am by Rakonas »

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2010, 09:35:08 am »

I broke into a huge cave.

There is an eyeless ogre there, scaring the shit out of my dwarves.

This is awesome.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2010, 10:13:23 am »

Holy fuck. I just found a ...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2010, 10:19:57 am »

Holy crap! I just butchered a dog, and I got massive amounts of food: 13 fat, 13 meat, a brain, 2 lungs, a heart, a liver, intestines, tripe, sweetbread, spleen and 2 kidneys. all of the organs were prepared. This means I'll have 37 pieces of food from one single dog. And I also got 13 bones and nervous tissue to mess with. I have no idea what to do with the latter. But seriously, 37 pieces of food. From one dog! ONE DOG!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2010, 10:25:22 am »

Holy crap! I just butchered a dog, and I got massive amounts of food: 13 fat, 13 meat, a brain, 2 lungs, a heart, a liver, intestines, tripe, sweetbread, spleen and 2 kidneys. all of the organs were prepared. This means I'll have 37 pieces of food from one single dog. And I also got 13 bones and nervous tissue to mess with. I have no idea what to do with the latter. But seriously, 37 pieces of food. From one dog! ONE DOG!

Was it an especially chubby dog? Hehe.

I guess dwarves just eat smaller portions. Most of their calories come from booze, anyhow...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36