Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56497 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2010, 01:38:56 am »

Its not that they will work to death, but seems that when there is a job to do, there lust for booze can wait a little longer.

Therefor if you keep everybody doing something, stocks will last longer! Stock pile shifting for the win!

I'm starting to think I won't need masons anymore. The amount of metal everywhere means I can skip the stone age and go straight to iron. Don't even need to cut wood or lava because the amount of coal will cover everything.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2010, 01:46:42 am »

Here to report, a max skilled dwarf in full adamantine armor with a slade warhammer will destroy a BC without even taking damage.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2010, 01:59:15 am »

It's the little things that make this new version great.  Not dealing with the discovered stone pauses was the first thing I noticed.  I love the way the labors are categorized now. 

Still trying to get used to the new military system.  I got three dwarves drafted but they're not really drafted the way they were before.  It seems like they still retain their previous jobs.  I got them self training in the barracks.  They don't really seem to want to train with each other.  I noticed the schedule has them set up to train all year long and I figured out how to lower the minimum number to train but they're still not sparring.  Maybe they don't start sparring until they get more proficient, I don't know.  I guess that would make sense.

Got my metal industry up and running before the first caravan even showed up.  I usually don't start with metal until well into the second year.  The cheaper anvils helped with that.  I made a handful of silver crafts that were surprisingly valuable, between 200 and 500 DB.  While I was trading some of them I noticed some were small sculptures or something of my own dwarves!  The descriptions of those were pretty cool.  I had to hold on to a few just for that.

And thank Armok, the migrants are coming in only a handful at a time now!  Well into the second year and I only have 16, which is just right for where I'm at right now.

On a whole everything just flows a lot more smoothly.  I've gotten things up and running a lot faster than I was able to before.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2010, 02:02:13 am »

By the way... 10 max skill marksdwarves behind fortifications 1 z-level up with slade bolts will not kill a BC. Even though every single shot shattered a limb, he kept coming and killed them all.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2010, 02:16:59 am »

Seems like too many bugs making things not work right, plus I want the mayday graphics to work right, so I can wait.

Having quite a bit of fun with arena mode though.

That's my feeling exactly. Did the obligatory 'crack the HFS' run. Now I'm content to wait a couple more weeks for the (more) debugged version, maybe with the 40d## series implemented.

And a massive modding wiki section to explain the raws. I knew they were going to be more complex, but I wasn't expecting a ten-fold increase. :D :o
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Moneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2010, 02:33:55 am »

So far so good. The only bug I've run in to (if it can be classed as one) is two orphaned babies spamming the announcement "Dwarven Baby cancels clean self: Too insane". This after having a forgotten beast come in and wreck up the place.

Crundles keep climbing up from the depths, along with a variety of other beasts (Blood men, Trolls, a giant toad). The crundles have been the most annoying by far, they aren't difficult to kill but find a way to constantly interrupt as many Dwarves as possible.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2010, 02:37:38 am »

So I start off this fort... and I check the building list.

It lists my wagon and an Upright adamantine shortsword.

I click "zoom to building tasks"... it takes me to a hidden tile on the very bottom Z-level.

there's an adamantine shortsword in the bottom of the world.

I MUST HAVE

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2010, 02:47:45 am »

I got a grand master weapon smith and a dwarf with great in most combat stats, both in a single migrant wave. Seems toady got annoyed with three things, us bitching about not enough ore, us bitching about mega beasts being too easy and us bitching about useless migrant.

All amended.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2010, 02:59:55 am »

My first impressions?

* NO F*CKING WAY!! (In a good way)

* (after messing around trying to get it to display right) Dammit... I'm frustrated and annoyed, but at least I can play now.

* Alright! Anvils only cost 100 points and you can make wooden training weapons without modding! And hot damn, you can cut down trees with wooden axes!

* Why the hell can't I plant anything undergound? (I figured it out. I think I actually kinda like it like this.)

* Alright, metal ores and special stones are everywhere! No more tedious mining tunnels for the sole purpose of finding ores.

*(After realizing how much I've been spoiled by Dwarf Manager and Dwarf Therapist) FFFFUUUUUUU-

So... yeah. Managing seven dwarves manually is trouble enough, I don't think I can handle more. I probably won't be playing much until Dwarf Therapist or Dwarf Manager is updated to be compatable with the new version.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2010, 03:02:58 am »

In worldgen, there are options about forcing magma and adjusting Z levels.

I cried because of the awesome.

Also, Kicker and Biter skills in adventurer mode. :D

Also, HANDS ON DENTISTRY!
AWESOME!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:18:48 am by Peewee »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2010, 03:07:35 am »

So I start off this fort... and I check the building list.

It lists my wagon and an Upright adamantine shortsword.

I click "zoom to building tasks"... it takes me to a hidden tile on the very bottom Z-level.

there's an adamantine shortsword in the bottom of the world.

I MUST HAVE

This tickled me tremendously.

GET THAT SWORD AND REPORT BACK   ;D
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2010, 03:10:08 am »

Yes, because there is even the tiniest chance that sword isn't surrounded by DEATH!!! You even look at that sword and HFS (Hell fire shit) will come for you!

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2010, 03:15:20 am »

Here to report, a max skilled dwarf in full adamantine armor with a slade warhammer will destroy a BC without even taking damage.

slade is super crazy, though; 10 proficient dwarves with slade twohanded swords will carve a bronze colossus in twain in less than a second. 10 same skilled dwarves with adamantium swords will be slowly mangled and murdered; with iron swords, the colossus won't even take any damage
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:21:03 am by Ampoliros »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2010, 03:19:02 am »

So can we conclude that slade will now make for the weapon of choice? I think we can!

After digging around a bit and finding a fair amount of FUN I'm wondering from somebody who managed to get a real fortress going strong, is there a lot of slade, or not much...

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2010, 03:25:38 am »

Yes, because there is even the tiniest chance that sword isn't surrounded by DEATH!!! You even look at that sword and HFS (Hell fire shit) will come for you!
.....while you're alone with the sword and surrounded by some [M]ega [A]wesome [G]ear [M]echanism [A]ssembly cutting off your way back..... :D
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---
This is why I don't go outside.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36