Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56443 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2010, 07:03:16 pm »

After about 20 minutes of digging straight down, I managed to come across not 1, but 3 underground objects. And that was all from digging straight down from the same square to -43. I didn't even make it near the -100 or so level. I found: A cave system, had a bunch of clusters of GCS webs, so I didn't enter it. Another cave system (possibly connected) with a lake. Found all sorts of new underground trees and such... And a cave blob (basicly WoW oozes). The best underground thing I found was a "sea of magma." And buried under about 4 layers of magma, ADAMANTINE. Also, apparently magma seas have a bunch of "partially melted rock" near them, which is basicly undiggable rock layers, impeding my downward progress any more in that specific spot.

I then abandoned the site to start an actual fort (since I had not been building a fort at all at that point). Oh, and like beekay said, TONS of minerals, especially when you reveal an underground feature.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2010, 07:04:43 pm »

So I decided to dig, down. Waaaaaayyyy down.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not bad for a first post. :D

Beware!

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »

KIMBERLITES ARE ACTUALLY VERTICAL COULMNS.

Edit, false alarm.  I was excited about that possible acurrarcy tweak, but nope.

And, it has been noted, but HOLY CRAP there are a lot of minerals and gems.  Like, almost absurd quantities.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:09:04 pm by LordZorintrhox »
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2010, 07:07:58 pm »

Sea serpents, man...

*shiver*

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2010, 07:10:51 pm »

What is this farming bug?
I've had no problems creating farm plots and planting seeds on them both above and below ground.
Above ground is fine for me as well; do you muddy your underground farms? They don't seem to detect any available seeds unless you muddy them.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2010, 07:13:02 pm »

Yeah, according to Baughn, this is a bug, but I actually kind of like it. It puts some of the challenge back into farming. Of course, with all those

First thought: jesus christ, that's a lot of minerals. :o I embarked with chalk on the top layer, and it's bauxite, coal, magnetite and limonite as far as the eye can see. My entrance ran into a vein of native platinum within seconds. I dug a few levels down and hit star ruby. I plan on using bauxite for just about everything, I love that colour.

Also, yeah, everyone is ugly as fuck.

- Lot of new skills like Observer, Fighter, Miscellaneous Item User etc... I hope we'll quickly find out what it does.
I only checked this in arena, but Fighter goes up like a rocket in combat, and Observer seems to be used as a way for highly skilled combatants to predict attacks. This is really just guessing though.
Observer helps dwarves spot sneaking enemies.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2010, 07:15:00 pm »

Observer helps dwarves spot sneaking enemies.
Huh. That was my initial thought, but in that case, I have no goddamned idea why that would be trained in combat...

Maybe that dwarf just really liked looking at the finely-made walls while attempting to wrestle a ninjalligator.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2010, 07:16:37 pm »

Let me say this:
Age of the Hydra and Ocean Titan.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2010, 07:18:27 pm »

I wanted to experiment with how the new damage system works, and holy shit...

Spawned a grand-master fighter giant fully clad in
with a spear, ran up to an unarmored elf and stabbed him through the chest, breaking 2 ribs, tearing apart the heart and breaking the spine neatly in half. Instead of either A: immediately dying/passing out or B: bleeding to death, he got right back up after I had charged him, followed me for 10 whole tiles with a giant gaping wound in his middle and crawling, dragging his useless legs behind him before passing out and finally, finally after about 30 seconds later, bleeding to death.

This seems somewhat unrealistic.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:22:30 pm by woose1 »

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2010, 07:19:30 pm »

Beware!

I already cracked it. I'm trying to find a way to mine the rock at the very bottom.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2010, 07:21:04 pm »

...I've also found out that
is basically un-breakable with anything other than more

EDIT: Speaking of which, how do you target specific bodyparts with weapons?

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2010, 07:27:12 pm »

Has anyone noticed the existence of a substance called Plaster?  Apparently it can be made at a kiln with gypsum, and it can "harden with water". 

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2010, 07:29:57 pm »

Looking into the raws- there are a lot of new tags. Does [ARENA_RESTRICTED] mean they only appear in the arena, or can't appear in the arena? Because I know I've seen cap hopper meat in the embark list...

I love that there's descriptions of the creatures in the raws now. Anyone else here want a pet fluffy wambler now?

As for my fort, I think I'll get back on that before I try modding. Gems seem to be a lot more common than before (although having dug straight down into a patch of kimberlite helped in that regard.)

About what level do the underground things start showing up? I mean more like the caverns, etc., not the HFS. I don't even have a military yet, so bringing the Circus to town would be a bad idea. XD

Edit: Also, forgot to mention- megabeasts seem to be more resilient during worldgen, since for once I was still in the Age of Myths at year 200.

And thank you, Toady, for explaining a lot of the new tags right there in the raws.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:34:48 pm by InsanityPrelude »
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2010, 07:32:11 pm »

OMG I SAW AN ELK-BIRD. In my cave, it was just running around.
@insanity: I have spotted 'cap hoppers' in my cave, vermin it seems, so if they have arena restricted tag, it must mean they can't go in arena.
As for what level, 10-15ish has been what I have seen over my past 2 digs. Although it may be even hgiher than that. The initial caves, while they have some interesting stuff in them, aren't too dangerous as long as you stay away from the GCS (wall suggested to avoid any unknown suprizes like the aforementioned elkbird (hostility unknown, and I would like to keep it that way). You probably won't get anything terribly deadly until at least -40 (about where I found my magma sea).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:36:31 pm by alway »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2010, 07:33:05 pm »

Oof, I really miss the way te gamescreen was setup with mayday graphics.....

Arena is pretty cool though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36