Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56485 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #405 on: April 04, 2010, 03:23:06 am »

You be thinking of ents then. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 04, 2010, 03:24:01 am »

Half wood pecker, half ent.

It eats itself?

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 04, 2010, 03:29:17 am »

I have the best forgotten beast ever:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think wrestling has been nerfed far too much. My 16 millitary dwarfs (Trained in wrestling) couldn't even scratch a goblin ambush of 6. I'm being serious. I lost 30 dwarves to just 6 goblins. I eventually pushed them back with piles of recruits

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 04, 2010, 03:32:44 am »

I think wrestling is now a support skill, like dodging, biting and shield using. You should equip your squad with a weapon.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 04, 2010, 03:33:46 am »

Yeah, I was in the process of making some weapons when the goblins ambushed me.

But now I know

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 04, 2010, 09:53:59 am »

I embarked on a dark fortress because I was hoping they'd be friendly, so I could have some free defense while I train up an army to slaughter them all in their sleep. They were, but, strange thing is, they're all human. even the prisoners. This amuses me greatly. Oh well, time to get training.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 04, 2010, 10:08:05 am »

So I finally tunneled into the caverns. There was nothing but a giant toad a long ways away so I cut some lumber. A forgotten beast showed up, but I sealed the caverns off in time. Another one showed up, this time a flying mud panther but he couldn't get into my fort. I accidentally re-breached the cavern without knowing it. I suddenly got messages about a farm plot being destroyed and dwarves being interrupted by the forgotten beast. I thought I was SOL but I sent my meager militia(armed only with wooden shields and training weapons). My militia man ran up and hacked it to death with a wooden training axe.
Edit: wow the Mup the Forgotten beast was weak, looking at the combat logs, a horse had already kicked off one of its legs.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:11:15 am by Onlyhestands »
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 04, 2010, 10:20:12 am »

Why do you assume the trunk is on it's face? I would assume the trunk to be in place of the torso. My only question, doesn't it peck at itself?
When I hear trunk I think Elephant really, so naturally I assume it has something to do with the face.
And here I thought "trunk" was roughly the same thing as "torso".

It does, in most contexts.  However, an "elephant's trunk" is its long, snaky proboscis.

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 04, 2010, 10:30:41 am »

I haven't read the whole thread, but I noticed that near the beginning, people were saying they disliked having to do ESC to leave menus. That's easily fixable by altering your keybindings via the menu. I was getting bugged by it, so I just replaced it with SPACE. As for the rest: low FPS (40-60-ish), the top levels of caverns are deceptively quiet (AAAH, WHERE DID THAT TROLL COME FRO-EAAUUGH!!), and no more easy soil farming. I loooove the new caverns and the seeming amazing abundance of mineral wealth present at every fortress. The embark screen is a bit more interesting now, and I can't wait until I have enough dwarves to form a decent sized military so I can explore the caverns more. Oh, and has anyone encountered things like drathans? At least I think that was what they were called. They seemed like they'd be fairly peaceful, but they were outside the bunker I had set up in the cavern, so I didn't go check them out.
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 04, 2010, 10:35:37 am »

I haven't read the whole thread, but I noticed that near the beginning, people were saying they disliked having to do ESC to leave menus. That's easily fixable by altering your keybindings via the menu. I was getting bugged by it, so I just replaced it with SPACE. As for the rest: low FPS (40-60-ish), the top levels of caverns are deceptively quiet (AAAH, WHERE DID THAT TROLL COME FRO-EAAUUGH!!), and no more easy soil farming. I loooove the new caverns and the seeming amazing abundance of mineral wealth present at every fortress. The embark screen is a bit more interesting now, and I can't wait until I have enough dwarves to form a decent sized military so I can explore the caverns more. Oh, and has anyone encountered things like drathans? At least I think that was what they were called. They seemed like they'd be fairly peaceful, but they were outside the bunker I had set up in the cavern, so I didn't go check them out.

Don't let them fool you. They may seem like peaceable grazers, but inside they are bonified dwarf killers. I lost five dwarves to one of the bastards. Untrained dwarves, but still.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 04, 2010, 11:43:22 am »

That's easily fixable by altering your keybindings via the menu.  I was getting bugged by it, so I just replaced it with SPACE.

Until you use a string filter search in (well, anything that has it) and hit space....

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 04, 2010, 11:51:49 am »

I have to say that im really starting to like elves
I just seized 1900 units of booze from their caravan
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 04, 2010, 11:52:24 am »

I've worked out some detail about the world gen values for caverns. Very low tunnel density and high openness makes rather boring open areas that don't slope very much. This would be the most like having another above ground layer except for how much of it ends up under water. Reversing the values gives only web-tunnels all over but doesn't seem to shift the elevation as much more as I expected.

This version really makes me have to use more Z-friendly design. Unless there's weird plumbing projects involved, I never need more than, oh, 6 Z-levels to make a huge fortress. Other than that it's all exploratory digging and the like. But it seems silly (aside from magma) to explore the caverns because there's already more exposed gems, metal and coal than I can use. I feel like the caverns should be more important somehow; as it is they feel optional.

Also, three years in with 150K fortress wealth and no goblins? I can see they have a civ within range... so why no invasions?

I suspect the whole 150 z levels on a flat embark thing is a bug. If you create a world from the 'design a new world with parameters' menu and use any of the defaults, you'll get something more like 50 total. It's just the 'create a new world now' worlds (or ones you've designed to have a ludicrous number of Z levels) that are so massively huge.
Although he was talking about how all the exposed minerals in the caverns makes wealth shoot up ridiculously fast I can see people thinking there were 150 z levels on some maps. Embarking next to a mountain my absolute height reads something like 130 though my magma ocean is right around zero.

I embarked on a dark fortress because I was hoping they'd be friendly, so I could have some free defense while I train up an army to slaughter them all in their sleep. They were, but, strange thing is, they're all human. even the prisoners. This amuses me greatly. Oh well, time to get training.
I made a squad and tried to have them kill the leader of a dark fort but either neither group could scratch the other or they just weren't really fighting.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 04, 2010, 02:02:55 pm »

First expedition into the underground
"you have discovered a passage downward!" OH JEEZ THERE'S A CRUNDLE
WHAT THE HELL IS A CRUNDLE? AM I IN DANGER? no wait it just scurried off the map

Second expedition into the underground
sealed off an area for farming and mining - WHERE DID THAT GIANT RAT COME FROM
it breached my defences, passing stonefall traps with only a broken leg. For some reason the Giant Tiger I stole from the elves refuses to kill it. It kinda just hangs around now, occasionally spooking my dwarves.

Thrid expedition
"you have discovered a deep cavern underground!"(layer two?)
everything seems peaceful for now, but then a troglodyte and a Giant Cave spider showed up.
They have yet to move from their spawning locations...

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 04, 2010, 04:11:23 pm »

I guess this is an okay place to ask this - Is anybody else having trouble getting their squads to equip their weapons? I've made a whole bunch of iron battle axes, and I have all of my squads set to carry battle axes, but none of them are picking them up. I can't even find the axes I have in the 'equip specific weapon' equipment list. I was, however, able to get my commander to equip an artifact axe, so I kinda know what I'm doing. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36