Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56545 times)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #315 on: April 03, 2010, 08:51:33 am »

Apart from some path finding issues I love this new version.
When I build a stairway up, 10 tile walkway and stairway down the dwarves that dug it couldnt figure out how to get back to the booze stockpile and almost died of thirst
only once they become very thirsty they finally went back and they didnt even have any jobs to do.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 03, 2010, 09:15:07 am »

160 z levels to magma, gordon bennet Toady.

Currently my dorfs have to guantlet run between the safe zone above level 10 and the forges down in level 160. Although theres only major cave systems between levels 50 and 100. Many are eaten by giant toads.

Cant work out how to get me soilders to get weapons and fight yet must defeat this interface.

in adventure mode i couldnt find a way into the underground. I got a quest to kill a giant porcupine but according to the quest map it was located in a town, never found it.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 03, 2010, 09:56:57 am »

So.
While my squads were training a Lasher with an axe went berserk, entered martial trance, and killed every military personnel within 2 seconds.
He then injured some of the other dorfs, followed them to the hospital, and killed them all.
Then... he went outside where he DIDN'T trip on any trap, killed some more, and finally died of thirst:

THANK YOU TOADY FOR THIS AWESOME GAME!!!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 03, 2010, 10:05:44 am »

Heh, I'm building a fort with a central stairway which is 96 z levels high (main fort is at around -53). And in the center of said 3x3 stairway, is open space. ATM I am setting up a dropping area from which to splatter things in a specially smoothed splatter room. Oh ya, and right before said room is a floor grate.
Assuming a z level is about 5 feet high (not unreasonable considering dwarves probably range in the 3-4ft range, plus the floor and ceiling and it would be at least 5) and assuming my math is right, the whole thing is about a 150 meter drop. Neglecting air resistance, it will take around 5.4 seconds to go from top to bottom, with a final velocity of 53 m/s, 176 ft/s, 120mi/h, or 190km/h, however you prefer. Straight down onto a grate. I imagine it would be similar to an egg slicer.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 03, 2010, 10:06:21 am »

I have an eight-legged quadruped for a Jungle Titan in my legends screen.

I have no clue how that works.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 03, 2010, 10:14:25 am »

Unfortunately I am too tied up IRL to devote time to starting a new fortress, but it was fun just embarking and seeing what was different.

anyway....

This is fantastic!!!

Toady, you have done it. You madman! Have you any freaking idea how cool DF is now? Of course you do, but you are probably too exhausted to think about it.

You think you had an insanely good base of rabid fans before? I can only imagine what your donations will come to this month. Enjoy every cent! (I gotta go to my bank and find out why my new savings card no longer has Visa attached before I can send some myself tho... X_X)

The very idea of monthly/weekly updates from now on.... ooooooooOOOooooo man.

Now somebody make a first person map explorer so I can experience the underground in style.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 03, 2010, 10:21:14 am »

Anyone figure out how to make dwarves teach one another skills? Or better yet, anyone figure out how to make hotkeys to take you to points? Because a fort at -53 and spanning from 0 to -97 is a pain to navigate. Guess that wasn't to hard to figure out...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:25:13 am by alway »

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 03, 2010, 10:27:48 am »

Anyone figured out how to reduce the number of Z levels?

150+ levels underground is too much for me, I'd rather encounter magma at level 10-15 and HFS at 15-20, this is just too much.

Other than that, will take a lot of learning to get into the loop. Especially the army part.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 03, 2010, 10:30:12 am »

Anyone figured out how to reduce the number of Z levels?

150+ levels underground is too much for me, I'd rather encounter magma at level 10-15 and HFS at 15-20, this is just too much.
I also would like to know this. embarking on utter flatland reduces it quite a bit, but then i have no mountain to dig into! just dirt/rock, straight down.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 03, 2010, 10:38:03 am »

You can change the layer heights in custom worldgen, you can really change just about all the params of the underground actually.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2010, 10:40:46 am »

Yes, it seems trivial. I have following settings for layers:
   [CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:10]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:2]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:2]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:2]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
   [LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
And it produced 50 z-levels underground (bottom one at -52)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2010, 10:58:57 am »

Umm...I don't know about y'all, but for me dragons seem to be made of Nerf.

My first (and so far only) adventurer was a human with a bronze two-handed sword and bronze armor, no crazy high skills, and yet she's killed two dragons already with nary a scratch. Her FIRST kill was a dragon that had 68 kills to its name.

And no, the dragons weren't already half-dead when she found them. First one went down in three hits--a strike to the belly, a twist of the blade, and another strike to decapitate the bugger. Second one went down in three hits as well--first strike shattered the left front leg bone, which dropped the dragon over like a cheap folding chair, then a whack to the upper body, and finally a slash to the head which shattered the skull, tore the brain, opened an artery, and tore a tendon. If this was Rolemaster, I'd say I just rolled a 300 on the "E" critical table.

Are dragons nerfed? Is bronze uber now?

Or...are adventurers rolling up as demi-gods? I just noticed that she's got Superhuman Strength *and* Superhuman Agility *and* Superior Endurance, all pretty much out of the gate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2010, 11:16:43 am »

I have an eight-legged quadruped for a Jungle Titan in my legends screen.

I have no clue how that works.

I'm thinking it's like a four legged creature with two shins per leg that split off at the knee cap.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2010, 11:21:52 am »

Or perhaps it only uses 4 of its legs for movement. The others would be similar to arms. If both a creature's legs and arms had the same underlying structure, it would make sense for both to be called legs.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2010, 11:28:56 am »

Just had a forgotten beast show up in my map. Hasn't gotten to my fort yet, will update after that happens. Under the units list it is listed as "Uninvited guest".     

This amuses me greatly.

Edit: the beast attacked but didn't kill a couple dogs, mucked around in one of my secondary dining rooms, and was summarily slaughtered by a glassmaker in leather armor weilding a battle axe. A mere novice axedwarf took him down pretty quickly. Also, my dining room is now decorated with forgotten beast blood. Awesome. Is there a way to collect said blood in a barrel?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:56:21 am by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 36