Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56527 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #300 on: April 03, 2010, 02:00:37 am »

I'm not sure if this is how migrants are meant to be or what, but as my wealth has increased, the migrants specialized. Before, they would have a smattering of low-end, manual jobs and some social skills. Now, I am getting more crafters of better skill, with less skills outside their profession.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 03, 2010, 02:30:28 am »

Digging too deep... or trying to! I've dug down to -154, which is -10 on the lower black numbers, and am encountering semi-molten rock.

Not warm stone, which cancels digging designations with a message. Semi-molten Rock, which cancels digging designations silently and is probably undiggable entirely. So far every square I've revealed with my stairways on level -155 has been semi-molten, so I can't dig any deeper yet--I'm making exploratory shafts and rooms to try to figure out if it's possible to dig deeper or if the whole level is semi-molten and I've dug down to the Mohorovičić discontinuity. I believe that would probably qualify as Too Deep, demons or no demons.

OH GOOD GRIEF. No wonder I didn't find the adamantine--it's in the MIDDLE of the magma sea!! The semi-molten rock must be how the game deals with the lower reaches of a large magma pocket--warm stone *might* let magma in, semi-molten rock *WILL* let in PRESSURIZED magma, and so it doesn't even let you CONSIDER it. Not even the most suicidal of dwarves would willingly melt his pick in that mess.

The adamantine's placement, however, gives me just enough room to sink a shaft through the magma sea that I know won't strike semi-molten rock.

I hope.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 03, 2010, 02:34:48 am »

Digging too deep... or trying to! I've dug down to -154, which is -10 on the lower black numbers, and am encountering semi-molten rock.

Not warm stone, which cancels digging designations with a message. Semi-molten Rock, which cancels digging designations silently and is probably undiggable entirely. So far every square I've revealed with my stairways on level -155 has been semi-molten, so I can't dig any deeper yet--I'm making exploratory shafts and rooms to try to figure out if it's possible to dig deeper or if the whole level is semi-molten and I've dug down to the Mohorovičić discontinuity. I believe that would probably qualify as Too Deep, demons or no demons.

OH GOOD GRIEF. No wonder I didn't find the adamantine--it's in the MIDDLE of the magma sea!! The semi-molten rock must be how the game deals with the lower reaches of a large magma pocket--warm stone *might* let magma in, semi-molten rock *WILL* let in PRESSURIZED magma, and so it doesn't even let you CONSIDER it. Not even the most suicidal of dwarves would willingly melt his pick in that mess.

The adamantine's placement, however, gives me just enough room to sink a shaft through the magma sea that I know won't strike semi-molten rock.

I hope.

Good news, everyone! There's already a shaft through it! And I've found some glass demons and a chickadee monster!
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 03, 2010, 02:43:52 am »

I hope.

Good news, everyone! There's already a shaft through it! And I've found some glass demons and a chickadee monster!

Bad news, everyone. I don't think we're going to make it!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 03, 2010, 02:54:20 am »

anybody else had this problem:

There are no tasks in the soap maker's workshop - I can't make soap!

Is this because the soap reaction is in the custom reaction folder?

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 03, 2010, 03:23:04 am »

Got the same problem. I cant even render the fat in my kitchen!
It seems it ignores the 'reaction_other.txt'...
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 03, 2010, 04:05:21 am »

Hah, I can render fat!  ;D

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 03, 2010, 04:11:50 am »

Well I just got my first crash.  Spent six hours on this fortress and now it's all gone because I never got around to saving.  I guess this is what we were supposed to be expecting but it doesn't make it any less agitating.

Sucks, I know, but that's why I keep a timer next to my monitor so I can tell how long I've been playing. I save every hour or so.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 03, 2010, 04:24:48 am »

Autosave:seasonal is usually enough to not lose too much upon such crashes

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 03, 2010, 04:38:42 am »

Got the same problem. I cant even render the fat in my kitchen!
It seems it ignores the 'reaction_other.txt'...
I believe fat is auto-rendered, I might be wrong there.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2010, 07:23:10 am »

I had an elven caravan come in the second spring. Two merchants, two warthogs, and HOLY SHIT tons of stuff. Wooden cages, barrels, splints, crutches, arrows, armor, crafts... Rope reed ropes and clothing (suprisingly all clothing and armor was dwarf-sized, probably because size differences don't matter that much now). Tons of plants, drinks and flour... Also about 40 animals - horses, donkeys and mules - yay for milking industry!
There were about 50-100 pages of goods total!
Well I wasn't going to pay for that amount of stuff, nor I had enough goods for it actually, also I didn't want the elves to come with all that stuff againt next year so I decided to seize. I selected only useful / valuable stuff, and still got 100000☼ of items! Holy crap elves are crazy now!
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 03, 2010, 07:25:17 am »

you can use the joblist> manager to render fat and make soap btw.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 03, 2010, 07:34:56 am »

Just had my first ambush - kobolds instead of goblins, with short swords and steel shields. Just 3 of them slaughtered 20 dwarfs in mere seconds, w/out receiving any serious wounds.
Combined with the fact that they have TRAPAVOID and CANOPENDOOR, this is going to be challenging

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 03, 2010, 08:12:29 am »

Indeed. I may have to re-think my elf melting policy with this release. On their first visit, they gave me not one, but 3 grizzly bears!

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 03, 2010, 08:30:23 am »

His corpse wasn't in The Golden Trances.  ???
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36