Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56530 times)

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #270 on: April 02, 2010, 07:02:33 pm »

All options are exited via ESC instead of space. That is annoying.

You can change key bindings.
If this has already been addressed, disregard this post. Im not reading 18 pages to find out.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 02, 2010, 07:06:06 pm »

My strength has been broken.   :(

I decided to dig deeper past the first cavern and just a couple of levels lower I found another one.  Only this one had a sizable group of lizardmen inhabiting it.  I was able to take most of them out but at a high cost.  And for some reason every dwarf in my fort decided to go down there to collect the leftovers and ended up getting hurt in the process.  So I figure it's time to call this fortress done.  I'll know better next time.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 02, 2010, 07:07:53 pm »

As nice as the middle world seems, it is still dangerous! I guess in a few weeks time it will be like HFS, useful as anything, but you avoid until your ready for it.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 02, 2010, 07:13:27 pm »

I kinda don't like how narrow/small these caves are, I was hoping for more open and sparse caves.

I decided to dig deeper past the first cavern and just a couple of levels lower I found another one.  Only this one had a sizable group of lizardmen inhabiting it.  I was able to take most of them out but at a high cost.  And for some reason every dwarf in my fort decided to go down there to collect the leftovers and ended up getting hurt in the process.  So I figure it's time to call this fortress done.  I'll know better next time.
Ouch, I've just had to deal with a troglodyte swarm a couple times, never any lizardmen.

Also, I love how we can finally build big above ground farms without too much hassle.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:33:42 pm by Zruku »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 02, 2010, 07:15:13 pm »

I kinda don't like how narrow/small these caves are, I was hoping for more open and sparse caves.

In that case I don't think you have explored the entire cave system!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2010, 07:16:36 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:13:51 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2010, 07:17:32 pm »

Shouldn't you be able to limit that with some burrow magic? would at leas prevent a large part of your fortress from going on suicidal collection runs.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 02, 2010, 07:36:50 pm »

I've started up a fortress in a cave. Pretty awesome. Just a couple troglodytes to be fended off with an axe-dwarf. Only thing that disturbs me is that, deeper below, random bits of the cave seem to be collapsing as I mine out my fortress. It's a little distressing.
!!&!!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 02, 2010, 07:39:14 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: Where falling rocks are more disturbing then glowing pits full of death.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 02, 2010, 07:41:49 pm »

I know they are far, but they just aren't big enough for me, they just seem so small.

Also, my only docter is still resting in bed, I checked his wounds and his left upper leg is yellow, but it only says he has a scar. Anyone know whats up with that?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 02, 2010, 07:45:11 pm »

I know they are far, but they just aren't big enough for me, they just seem so small.

Also, my only docter is still resting in bed, I checked his wounds and his left upper leg is yellow, but it only says he has a scar. Anyone know whats up with that?

The full cave system spans entirely along both X and Y axis, as well as many Z levels. Maybe you just forgot about the new fog of war. You need to explore the caves you see!

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 02, 2010, 07:46:54 pm »

The full cave system spans entirely along both X and Y axis, as well as many Z levels. Maybe you just forgot about the new fog of war. You need to explore the caves you see!
I know, but most of the time they are very narrow and shallow, I was hoping for more epic caverns.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:50:14 pm by Zruku »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 02, 2010, 07:49:14 pm »

I have found my caverns to be very open, with many narrow tunnels crossing between them, go up a few levels and you find a lot of open space.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 02, 2010, 07:49:40 pm »

Great, now I need to look that up because I only speak metric.

According to Google, the omnipotent being second only to The One Toad, 40 feet = 12.19200 meters

Personally I like to measure things in body lengths, dwarflengths, and beard lengths. So, a human being about 6 feet, a dwarf being 4, and a beard being 1-2 on average, I'd like to think bronze colossi would be 6 humans and a dwarf, give or take a beard.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 02, 2010, 07:51:45 pm »

Physician save thyself! I seem to recall hearing that until the wound is diagnosed, you don't actually get much information on it. My guess is, since there's nothing wrong outwardly, it's probably a broken bone. Since dwarves won't work while injured (until they're treated anyway) and he's your only doctor, his wound has gone undiagnosed.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36