Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 121960 times)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #405 on: April 06, 2010, 10:03:01 am »

the new caverns look so good, can't wait till adventurer skills so i can head down there naked and unskilled with only an axe and a pick -Armok provides

Well, you could do that half-heartedly...  Found a fortress for the sole purpose of breaching the underground; as soon as that's done, abandon (or kill everyone), and come back with an axe...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 06, 2010, 04:43:34 pm »

Every natural cave I've been in has gone straight to the underground.  I've already had a couple adventurers go down there.  In fact, one of them traveled 6 map tiles underground. 

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 06, 2010, 05:47:38 pm »

I agree that resources need to be thinned out above the first underground layer. I don't mind the density in and of itself, since god I hated prospecting before, so much designating and it leaves the layer completely ugly. But there should be a sense of "I need to go through this risky area to get the good stuff". Like keep the same distribution according to the layers but have a greater ratio of rock at the top.

I also think the 2nd cave layer should be visually distinct from the 1st, but I don't know what to suggest there. Something to make it feel like a deeper, more dangerous place. That might happen sometimes for all I know, but each time I've dug down so far it's just been more of the same mud, mushroom trees, and water.

I know this is the first pass at these features but those are just my thoughts.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 06, 2010, 07:37:11 pm »

I agree that resources need to be thinned out above the first underground layer. I don't mind the density in and of itself, since god I hated prospecting before, so much designating and it leaves the layer completely ugly. But there should be a sense of "I need to go through this risky area to get the good stuff". Like keep the same distribution according to the layers but have a greater ratio of rock at the top.

I also think the 2nd cave layer should be visually distinct from the 1st, but I don't know what to suggest there. Something to make it feel like a deeper, more dangerous place. That might happen sometimes for all I know, but each time I've dug down so far it's just been more of the same mud, mushroom trees, and water.

I know this is the first pass at these features but those are just my thoughts.
Well there are more dangerous creatures and more/different mushroom trees as far as I can tell and also I think there are some options for worldgen on how dangerouse the creatures get the further you go down.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 06, 2010, 09:25:40 pm »

Ah good, most definitely good. Now I have something else to keep me busy while I recover from last week's car accident. Will just have to get reacquainted with Dwarf Fortress entirely, since it's been a few months since I've played it.

Looking forward to the new features that's for sure, though I haven't the foggiest idea what they are.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 06, 2010, 09:31:47 pm »

I found the HFS... after mining ONE tile of adamantine. Now to see if I can seal the tunnel before my 10 legendary wrestlers(I can't figure out how to get them to pick up the weapons I assigned them) have to fight 10x their number of clowns... Why did I think a door on the mineshaft would be enough?!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 06, 2010, 10:05:43 pm »

Ah good, most definitely good. Now I have something else to keep me busy while I recover from last week's car accident. Will just have to get reacquainted with Dwarf Fortress entirely, since it's been a few months since I've played it.

Looking forward to the new features that's for sure, though I haven't the foggiest idea what they are.
Yeah you shouldnt browse the forums, I got spoiled because of that because most things arent behind spoiler tags but yeah you should play DF first for a few days and then come to the forums.

(I can't figure out how to get them to pick up the weapons I assigned them)
Yeah in the military screen it says that they should pick up any prefered melee weapon but when I activate them most of them just walk around as wrestler.

It think I encountered a bug: one of my military dwarfs got injured by a berserk dwarf (he went berserk even though he had everything avaliable i dont know why) and now the doctors walk up to him with the job "suturing" and stand around for a little while and then take the thread back to the stockpile and the dwarfs health menu says he still needs suturing??

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 06, 2010, 10:38:56 pm »

I had trouble getting my military dwarves to use the assigned weapons too, but I think assigning an arms master (or whatever it calls it) on the noble screen helps?  Since after I did that, all my dwarves suddenly use the weapons I tell them to.

Buzzard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 07, 2010, 01:15:10 am »

Do we have an ETA on the Mac/Linux version? I can't wait :D

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 07, 2010, 01:29:04 am »

Do we have an ETA on the Mac/Linux version? I can't wait :D
It runs under wine pretty well. Partial print has weird effects when you move window around, but i got used to it fast.

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 07, 2010, 02:43:14 am »

registered just to post this... ::)

Anyway, love the new system. Still figuring out some parts, but meh.

My only complain is the amoun of gems. I prefer new "extra-ore", but it's kinda hard to dig out leving room when you can't swing a pick without hitting gems. Neither is it dorfish to leave gems behind...

Still, awesome!

*edit*

Oh yeah, and people with laptops, you might want to change your key bindings little. I changed mine so that secondary menu scroll is now ,/. and one-step is -
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 02:48:51 am by Mandemon »
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 07, 2010, 03:26:27 am »

I wonder how to make sope, I wish you could assume controll of one of your dwarfs just like in arena mode, that would be awesome.
Just imagine taking one of your dwarfs to explore the underground or fight of some creatures but I think I would most often use that to force my dwarf to move to that well he says he can't find :D

EDIT: NOOOO! my 3 year old fortress, my best so far just crashed when I was about to save and now the save file is corrupt!!

I have no idea what could have caused this  :'(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:13:27 am by bluephoenix »

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 07, 2010, 06:47:28 am »

There's a option in the init file, that tells the game to compress the saves.

The little help text associated says to turn that off if you get corrupted saves.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 07, 2010, 06:54:37 am »

Well I discovered that earlier but thought I dont need to turn it off, ah well I guess I am smarter now  :-\

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 07, 2010, 07:03:03 am »

You would be even smarter if you enabled at least yearly autosave, and autobackup. With how probable crashes are in general, not keeping seasonal autobackup is downright irresponsible.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31