Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 121972 times)

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #390 on: April 05, 2010, 10:37:54 pm »

Am I blind or is there not a linux version out yet?
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #391 on: April 05, 2010, 10:50:13 pm »

Works under Wine for me, at only a slight speed penalty.

Also guys, no matter what, all my military dwarves just individually drill. I've never seen any of this teaching stuff other people talk about even though I started with someone with axe and teaching skills. Any suggestions  :-[
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 05, 2010, 10:54:11 pm »

I'm thinking both.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 05, 2010, 10:55:20 pm »

A slight speed penalty? how about an FPS cap of 2?
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #394 on: April 05, 2010, 11:07:28 pm »

A slight speed penalty? how about an FPS cap of 2?

Muck around with your settings... turn stuff off, see if partial print works for you... my fiance is running it under Wine on a netbook and getting roughly 30fps, the same as on my Windows netbook.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 05, 2010, 11:09:48 pm »

Use Baughn's DF accelerator; it's been reported to work (even though according to baughn, it really shouldn't).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 05, 2010, 11:25:02 pm »

I got it to run at about 30 FPS in root, but id much rather have 100

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 05, 2010, 11:39:49 pm »

I got it to run at about 30 FPS in root, but id much rather have 100

On my 2,7ghz dualcore (only one core is used I assume) desktop I get around 30 to 90 fps, on a 4x4 area. 90 in the beginning and declining all the way to 30 when all the refuse that refuses to rot started to pile up.

I think it's too much to ask for 100fps when you are running DF through a 3rd party software. Especially when the Z-levels game has to handle has increased from 15 to almost 200.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 05, 2010, 11:54:10 pm »

Breached a partially water filled cave system.  Nice source of spider silks.  Some of them are giant cave spider silk, which made me nervous, but there doesn't appear to be a GCS hiding anywhere ;)

Year 3 now, still no fish! 

Spoilered encounter with the new Hidden Fun Stuff (tm)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #399 on: April 06, 2010, 12:14:51 am »

Breached a partially water filled cave system.  Nice source of spider silks.  Some of them are giant cave spider silk, which made me nervous, but there doesn't appear to be a GCS hiding anywhere ;)

Year 3 now, still no fish! 

They will suddenly spawn from cave-edges and attack. While others have reported a GCS being unable to kill a peasant, it killed my silk gatherer in one hit.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 06, 2010, 01:52:01 am »

I'm going to have to realearn how to play now... Hail To The Toady One!
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 06, 2010, 02:29:45 am »

Hi!

If resources levels are knocked back down it needs to be optional and not the default.   I and probably the majority of the games players don't have the time or inclination to play dozens of times to get a site where I can achieve what I want.  The current model of easier to find harder to get at Adamantium works for me, its not like you get enough to outfit an army.  This feels altogether more dwarfey to me.  We'll be sending mining and logging parties off map eventually anyway, and hopefully we'll be able to send out our own caravans to bring back what we need.

Just to get this straight - you are talking about Adamantium there, right?

Personally, I am one of the more casual players, so I never really deal with Adamantium at all (preparing for the clowns sounds like too much hassle for me), but I don't mind either way with the Adamantium. But I can see the benefit of arguing that the Adamantium prisons are indeed the core of the world and thus accessible everywhere.

However, even though I am a casual player, I do feel that the normal metals and things should be reduced a little bit at least in the first two or three layers. It just seems really awkward to have three levels of cliff face and six different metals/gems poking out of them right from the start on. One vein of metal, or maybe two, I can understand, but this is currently really weird.

Deathworks

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 06, 2010, 04:22:06 am »

There's no adamantium!

There's Adamantine!

Arrrgh, did I pointed that out loud in a post? I need a break...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 06, 2010, 04:41:24 am »

the new caverns look so good, can't wait till adventurer skills so i can head down there naked and unskilled with only an axe and a pick -Armok provides
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 06, 2010, 05:11:46 am »

Yeah I love this version esspecially the underground, I allready learned to use the military screen and got used to the new menus.
The only negative thing is the path finding: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52665.msg1136376#msg1136376
but other than that I love it, good work toady one.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31