Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 122012 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #360 on: April 04, 2010, 01:10:38 pm »

So far it's been awesome and everything works except a few errors.

like the file compression error, it's back, I've tried to save my fortress 5 more times today and all 5 had errors in them that force me to go back to my last save. It's extremely annoying.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 04, 2010, 01:13:32 pm »

And my first world? Fittingly, it's called...

The Past Universe.

To all that we leave behind and all that we gain, entering a new era of Dwarf Fortress!
The one I'm playing now is The Ageless Planet.

It seems so fitting in such an odd way to me.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 04, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »

like the file compression error, it's back, I've tried to save my fortress 5 more times today and all 5 had errors in them that force me to go back to my last save. It's extremely annoying.
IIRC, there's an init option to disable save compression.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

savanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 04, 2010, 01:19:35 pm »

I think that was one of Toady's goals to be able to embark anywhere and still play with everything.

Enh... I actually don't know if I like this change. On one hand, I'm going, "YAY, no more trading for iron I don't have / killing invaders for iron / killing caravans for iron". On the other hand... it all seems a bit easy now. Really, too easy. Finding adamantium used to be a big deal. Now it's on every map?  :-\

Also, it seems I can't even dig a passageway out for some living quarters without tripping over three veins of hematite and two gem deposits. How am I supposed to keep the low-rent housing.. low-rent?

In many senses, it really feels like my settlement isn't unique anymore. That's one thing I really liked in the previous version, the very real sense that WHERE I put my settlement made a HUGE difference in its character. Not everybody gets cave trees, not everybody gets iron and flux stone and hematite... A big part of the game for me was exploring the place with mining tunnels and finding the unique things about the map. Finally found that big magnetite deposit? Time to tunnel out and make some noble living quarters and a great hall! They lent very unique touches to each place, depending on what I found first and where.

Right now it seems like the biggest difference is whether or not you have trees aboveground - and that doesn't feel very dwarfy at all!

Hrm. Is there a way to turn down ore/gem frequency in the world gen files or something?

Sav

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 04, 2010, 01:22:40 pm »

IIRC, there's an init option to disable save compression.

well now i just feel dumb for not having read everything in the init after searching for an option to enable searching for features (caves/vents/underground stuff) in the starting location finder. By the way, those are missing too, if that wasn't intentional. I'll miss them in the least.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 04, 2010, 01:49:53 pm »

Hrm. Is there a way to turn down ore/gem frequency in the world gen files or something?
I think the [ENVIRONMENT] tag in the raws still works in the same way, with the last number in it being the frequency of the mineral, though I'm not sure it'll work, didn't have the chanche to try. If you try it out, please tell me if it works ;). You'll need to change inorganic_stone_gem.txt and inorganic_stone_mineral.txt.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 04, 2010, 03:18:22 pm »

What are your system/OS specs?

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 04, 2010, 03:33:22 pm »

:D Yay release!! Been playing it since it released but finally sat down to type my praise.

So far it's been pretty awesome. Getting my military to do kill orders took awhile. Only other major problem i have is dwarves randomly spacing out (saving and loading fixes this) and apparently rain is the most deadly thing ever. (already submitted report). when this version gets bug squashed it will be crazy awesome.

mostevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 04, 2010, 06:03:44 pm »

Very impressed, with the new features.  Countless suprises from the underground have made for a very interesting day.

The military are still pretty nuts though, having finally worked out the schedule system they started training.  (I think, they sometimes but not always seem to do what they're told in terms of manning positions)
I just had an axedwarf give a striking demonstration using his copper axe rather than all the practice weapons I've made.  (maybe because i didn't have an armourer?)  After killing two dwarves in the demonstrations, another got upset and killed the instructor.  The survivors are about to wipe out the rest of the otherwise very successful fortress.

Also, where do we get shells from now?  I can't find a stockpile option for them.  I brought a lot of lobsters but thats not given me any.

Anyone else got previously uninjured dwarves and pets seemingly randomly bleeding to death?  I'd think something invisible was munching them but the kills are too clean?

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 04, 2010, 06:48:41 pm »

Anyone else got previously uninjured dwarves and pets seemingly randomly bleeding to death?  I'd think something invisible was munching them but the kills are too clean?
Due to a bug, rain is magma. Keep everyone inside.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 04, 2010, 06:53:53 pm »

My rain don't hgurt anyone.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 04, 2010, 06:58:13 pm »

What? Really? Hmm... I must embark in an area with high precipitation and watch the goblins burn!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

mostevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 04, 2010, 07:19:14 pm »

These lads and lassies were inside.  And I've had dwarves out in the rain without issue, so it must be a climate specific problem.  The first 3 may have been due to obsidian production steam, though they weren't that close to it.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 04, 2010, 07:22:13 pm »

sweet jesus. why did i have to check this now.

i have friends coming over in like half an hour, and they are staying around all day. now all i am going to be thinking of is how much i want them to go home, so i can try out the new df version.

toady, what have you done to me.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 04, 2010, 07:31:15 pm »

sweet jesus. why did i have to check this now.

i have friends coming over in like half an hour, and they are staying around all day. now all i am going to be thinking of is how much i want them to go home, so i can try out the new df version.

toady, what have you done to me.
Tis punishment for not looking at the site on april fools.

Of all the days to not look at the site, you had to choose that one?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31