Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 122017 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #345 on: April 03, 2010, 09:47:56 pm »

FUCK. THAT SOUNDS SO AWESOME. WHY DID MY COMPUTER DIE?!?!?!?!?!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 03, 2010, 11:13:28 pm »

Since it seems questions to Toady are supposed to be directed here:

There appears to be no material template for ordinary water/ice/steam.  Do the properties of water need to be hard-coded for some reason, or did you simply see no reason to export it to the raws?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30:32 pm »

Since it seems questions to Toady are supposed to be directed here:

There appears to be no material template for ordinary water/ice/steam.  Do the properties of water need to be hard-coded for some reason, or did you simply see no reason to export it to the raws?

This was addressed in the List thread:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Footkerchief
So anyway, a next-version related question: will all of the oddball materials like glass, charcoal, potash, and of course water (the kind that gets carried in waterskins, not the flowing kind) be moved out into the raws too?

They aren't there yet, though they have their own material definitions just sitting off in the code now, so loading that from a file instead wouldn't be very hard to add at some point in the future.  The main reason I didn't raw them this time around is the materials for liquids as a flow on the map (water/magma), since those don't currently interact with their material definitions and there are some things to think about there.

savanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 04, 2010, 01:15:22 am »

So a general 'oops' moment for all of you aspiring megalomaniacs...

You can dig down now and find massive caverns on pretty much every map, possibly with a underground sea or river, and even a magma lake or three...

Planning to flood the underground caverns to conquer them using an aquifier or stream is, in fact, a brilliant idea! The sight must be beautiful from down there - mist coming off from the waterfalls down the 2x2 stairwell, cascading off the cavern levels and into the lakes. Only when they realize that IT'S NOT STOPPING will they begin to panic... and by then, it will be too late!

But ....

Your framerate will cry. TRUST ME. I've got a beefy machine that normally cruises along at 200 FPS (even now) and currently is sitting here whimpering along at 10 FPS when I dug a channel from the stream to the massive, massive stairway down into the caverns.

But in closing, all I can really say is... troglodytes? I HOPE YOU CAN SWIM.

Sav

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2010, 01:30:57 am »

Odd. My wimpy machine that's been running my first fort at 40 fps from the start (the second somehow runs at 100..), didn't so much as flinch when I rerouted the waters of an underground lake onto the heads of zombie serpentmen a few dozen levels below. I dropped to 30 after some migrants arrived, but no horrendous slowdowns due to flows.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

savanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 04, 2010, 02:09:04 am »

Odd. My wimpy machine that's been running my first fort at 40 fps from the start (the second somehow runs at 100..), didn't so much as flinch when I rerouted the waters of an underground lake onto the heads of zombie serpentmen a few dozen levels below. I dropped to 30 after some migrants arrived, but no horrendous slowdowns due to flows.

Yeah, I'm going from Z-level 0 down to 13 where there's an underground lake, and I holed the lake earlier which cascades to 25, where there's a spill-off into a cavern from 26-27, and on 27 there was another lake I dug sideways to dig a secondary tunnel to and drill down further, but the water spill from 25 is also feeding into 27's lake now, which runs to 33's cavern, which has various ramps and spillways naturally that feed down to 37. Oh, and my main tunnel also still runs down from 27 down to the magma sea on 43.

It's a fairly complex flow. It didn't REALLY bog down until I dropped the stream from 0 to 13, though. I suspect the cascades had something to do with it.

Sav

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 04, 2010, 02:14:50 am »

Hey guys, if the game is a little slow, don't forget Baughn's accelerator. It's only a stopgap, but it helps.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 04, 2010, 02:15:04 am »

I found this oddity in Arena mode. If you make a rock block in midair, it doesn't fall! It just floats there like a skyship or something. But, if you encase a creature in midair, you'll get the whole "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" message, complete with dust. I had wanted to bombard a kobold army with blocks, but then I had to spawn more creatures to turn into bombs.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 04, 2010, 04:39:00 am »

Holy crap what just happened?!
And I'm not talking about the game, but the layout of the site.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 04, 2010, 05:02:16 am »

But in closing, all I can really say is... troglodytes? I HOPE YOU CAN SWIM.
Actually, this is not going to work. Most of caverns are connected to open edges, same for some lakes. So water will just go off map.
MAGMA IS THE TRUE ANSWER!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 04, 2010, 08:22:56 am »

I have a problem... I'm unable to play as a Dwarf!

Not literally, but, I grow weary of digging tunnels and all that... It's just so easy, even in 2010.
Meanwhile, above-ground villages keep me enthralled for decades. If I can reach decades at this speed :P

I'm about to start an above-ground village on the smallest possible play-zone (Is it 2x2?). Wish me luck.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 04, 2010, 08:26:18 am »

I'm in a large world with a 4x4 embarking space.
I just reached my first Autumn and have 12 dwarves now.
I have also breached the underground.

My frame rate has only dropped slightly.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 04, 2010, 08:35:57 am »

I think I started on a 4x4 last time I tried to play, and got 10-30fps (Guessing, FPS was turned off).

I just started at 2x2, and I'm running great on 70+ fps. This is with the addition of Bhaun's accellerator, Not sure if it's making a difference, though. Probably is. :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Two things I do love about DF2010 though, is 1. More detailed World Maps, and 2. Far more ore deposits.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 04, 2010, 08:38:17 am »

I think that was one of Toady's goals to be able to embark anywhere and still play with everything.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 04, 2010, 09:57:35 am »

I found this oddity in Arena mode. If you make a rock block in midair, it doesn't fall! It just floats there like a skyship or something. But, if you encase a creature in midair, you'll get the whole "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" message, complete with dust. I had wanted to bombard a kobold army with blocks, but then I had to spawn more creatures to turn into bombs.
they only stay if its on the top z-level if it is one below that it will drop, but if you pause it before it falls you'll see that the rock is a whole bunch of different minerals, including gold and diamond
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31