Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 122023 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2010, 03:22:09 pm »

It lost the req/bloat numbers, and is now instead 0.<Core number>.<Version number>

With so many different reqs and bloats, finding how many were actually added is probably a lot more taxing on Toady than is appropriate. This system is simpler and more straightforward.

edit: ninja'd!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ren Fraggle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2010, 03:55:25 pm »

I can't get the bug tracker to work.  It seems to have forgotten me. 

I wanted to report a bug about volcanoes.  In the earlier version, the shape of a volcano changed as you go up or down.  It seems that isn't so anymore.  The shape of the volcano is consistent from the bottom all the way to the top. 

That would probably just be a minor thing, except every volcano I've checked opens on a slope at the top, except instead of just having an opening in the slope, the wall of the volcano extends out of the mountain side to the highest part of the slope it touches.  There is a thin obsidian tube filled with magma growing out if the side of the mountain.

--I got the bug tracker to work.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:28:59 pm by Ren Fraggle »

Firewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2010, 04:11:32 pm »

I have to admit I haven't played DF in a while (so it might just be me being a numpty). But is anyone else having problems with making charcoal from wood?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2010, 04:20:49 pm »

The wood burner job is under farming, I believe.
Hello Hunam

Firewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2010, 04:24:41 pm »

The wood burner job is under farming, I believe.
Ah so it is! omg, been looking for that for ages, things have moved around a little, but its been a while :-) Thanks for the quick reply!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2010, 04:34:03 pm »

No problem. Anyway, the starving/thirst bad thoughts should really be removed when the only reason the dwarves are not eating is that they are trying to finish their training session/barrel/bin/bucket/boose/planting/berry gathering
Hello Hunam

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2010, 05:06:58 pm »

For those having issues with military training till they've nearly starved to death...
It seems as though putting a stockpile with food/drink in the barracks helps that.  Either that, or my troops aren't training as much as they used to, it's kind of hard to tell.  Either way, they're no longer starving/dehydrated, and unhappy because of it.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 03, 2010, 05:09:32 pm »

I put a 3 by 3 stockpile in the barraks earlier and they still got starving/death of thirst unhappy thoughts
Hello Hunam

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2010, 05:20:22 pm »

Aah...  :-\
I downloaded, plugged in my graphics and deaccented language raws, went through the ini and set things to my preference...

It crashes as soon as I select "create new world" from the main menu.

It seems to work if I turn off the graphics, so...
Did I really manage to screw something up or are graphics just broken? Did something change in the way graphics need to be set up?

I'd search the forums but I'm really trying to avoid spoilers until I can play... :(

grognoglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2010, 06:09:21 pm »

Congrats on the release.   I just kicked in my release donation (before I forget) but I think I'll wait a week for the brave to clear the inevitable bugs before I jump in.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2010, 06:24:31 pm »

The new site is rather hard to read with the world map background. I think the old site layout was better.

I haven't been able to get the computer that can run DF yet, so review pending.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 03, 2010, 07:28:29 pm »

Apparently you don't need a large population to be able to assign an arsenal dwarf.  I reached my pop cap at 30 and noticed that the option wasn't available.  Later I noticed the "Fortress attracted no migrants..." message so on a whim I took a look at the nobles and sure enough the option to assign an arsenal dwarf had appeared.  I'm thinking it might have more to do with created wealth than population.

Scrotch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 03, 2010, 08:22:20 pm »

Apparently you don't need a large population to be able to assign an arsenal dwarf.  I reached my pop cap at 30 and noticed that the option wasn't available.  Later I noticed the "Fortress attracted no migrants..." message so on a whim I took a look at the nobles and sure enough the option to assign an arsenal dwarf had appeared.  I'm thinking it might have more to do with created wealth than population.

Until the OSX version is released, I won't be able to play 0.31 and thus can't check this, but I'm wondering if the Arsenal Dwarf position might require a certain amount of armor and/or weapons to be present before becoming available (nothing for this dwarf to do, so no point in having someone in the position?).  Had you made any between checking, or had any hostiles arrive who would have "created" some of these items?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 03, 2010, 08:30:08 pm »

When I think about it, giving dorfs time off from training every so often is actually a realistic idea, because as of now training is very rigorous and the dwarves spend most of the day doing drills leaving next to no time to even eat or drink.
Hello Hunam

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 03, 2010, 09:37:00 pm »

No... No... Noooo!

Can I run it? Yes.
Can I play it? Yes.
What speed? 10-20fps.

Damn thee, my broken PC and this crappy backup minitower!

DAMN THEE!

--

I had a play of it, I got through a month in about 30 mins... So.. Slow. Dolike the 100+ Z levels. Luckily I noticed this half-way through digging my X stairs. (I dig a huge chute staircase).

...I found a clan of something-men, who were hostile, in a nearby cave and a cave crocodile on the other side of the complex. I built a bed as a base for a barracks and walled up all but one entrance. I sent down my doctor and brewer to test out the military force (Dolike the Single Training thing), who were, by the way, training naked except for a cape and boots in the deep caverns, because I hadn't quite got ahold of the Uniform system.
So, there they were in this small, awkwardly cramped, room training on their lonesomes, when behold a Cave Crocodile comes storming in (at 1 square every two seconds or so) and bites off my doctor's head. I checked the description, and apparently it was "cut open" and bleeding "<name> <name>'s dwarf blood" from the head. He died soon after. As did my Brewer.

And the rest of my five dwarves.

At one point, the cave crocodile got door'd out from the slightly-flooded underground farm, till the Planter got thirsty and decided to open the door.
Funnily, the Crocodile attacked the carpenter, who was on the other side of the room, whilst the Planter slipped out unnoticed.
The chase was on, but I lost two stone from starvation on waiting for the crocodile to catch him, which is when I abandoned the fort.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:43:55 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31