Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released  (Read 121979 times)

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01 Released
« Reply #375 on: April 04, 2010, 07:44:46 pm »

sweet jesus. why did i have to check this now.

i have friends coming over in like half an hour, and they are staying around all day. now all i am going to be thinking of is how much i want them to go home, so i can try out the new df version.

toady, what have you done to me.

Really cool friends would come over with their laptops and all play DF with you while swilling beer and cooking you Bar-B-Que.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 04, 2010, 07:47:08 pm »

I agree with Sav above - I don't bother worrying about anything now. Everything I need is right there, every time. Even on the embark, materials are poking out the walls...

Definetly need to tone down the ores and gems, it's not as fun as it used to be, searching for them and digging them out over several months.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 04, 2010, 09:11:13 pm »

I agree with Sav above - I don't bother worrying about anything now. Everything I need is right there, every time. Even on the embark, materials are poking out the walls...

Definetly need to tone down the ores and gems, it's not as fun as it used to be, searching for them and digging them out over several months.

It's necessary, You basically need a legion of Dwarves in full mastercrafted steel to fight some of the more HFS Friendly Clowns.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 04, 2010, 10:37:56 pm »

I think that was one of Toady's goals to be able to embark anywhere and still play with everything.

Enh... I actually don't know if I like this change. On one hand, I'm going, "YAY, no more trading for iron I don't have / killing invaders for iron / killing caravans for iron". On the other hand... it all seems a bit easy now. Really, too easy. Finding adamantium used to be a big deal. Now it's on every map?  :-\

Also, it seems I can't even dig a passageway out for some living quarters without tripping over three veins of hematite and two gem deposits. How am I supposed to keep the low-rent housing.. low-rent?

In many senses, it really feels like my settlement isn't unique anymore. That's one thing I really liked in the previous version, the very real sense that WHERE I put my settlement made a HUGE difference in its character. Not everybody gets cave trees, not everybody gets iron and flux stone and hematite... A big part of the game for me was exploring the place with mining tunnels and finding the unique things about the map. Finally found that big magnetite deposit? Time to tunnel out and make some noble living quarters and a great hall! They lent very unique touches to each place, depending on what I found first and where.

Right now it seems like the biggest difference is whether or not you have trees aboveground - and that doesn't feel very dwarfy at all!

Hrm. Is there a way to turn down ore/gem frequency in the world gen files or something?

Sav

Well, sources for your basic metals SHOULD be common.  Maybe too many gems.  Adamantium should definitely be rare, but you should be able to find it from every embark.

I am very sad the portion of the army ark that allows you to send armies off your initial embark screen is not in this release.  That right there is the solution to resource availability.  Don't have it where you are?  Go find it...

jarvoll

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 04, 2010, 11:24:13 pm »

Adamantium should definitely be rare, but you should be able to find it from every embark.

Really?  It seems to me that if it's *guaranteed* to be in every embark, then there's no mystery, no sense of awe if/when you find it.  I'd argue more towards a likely-but-not-guaranteed-in-every-embark scenario, for that reason.

EDIT:  Incidentally, currently engaged with the slightly-insane project of pumping the magma sea up to my fort, 149 z-levels.  This is made pretty difficult compared to how it would have been in 40d by two things: 1) underground caverns getting in the way of digging straight up/down; and 2) Screw pumps don't auto-transfer action any more, meaning I'm having to build a gigantic tower of parallel axles and gear assemblies, attached to over 20 waterwheels, just to power the 140-odd screw pumps.   Fun times :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:33:10 pm by jarvoll »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 05, 2010, 12:48:25 am »

You need to remember the difficulty of getting to it now. The mystery before was finding it (unless you just used the site finder). The mystery now is: where is it, and can I fight my way there?

Anyway... The ores need to be less available at surface levels. High availability deep is pretty awesome, but 6 veins of ore poking out on embark at a relatively flat location was a little bit of a dud for me. We should have to work for it.

Oh, and thanks to hidden wealth (underground counts for architecture just like old HFS) the migrant system is broken. We're getting 15+ highly skilled migrants in the first summer. There may be more to it than my hypothesis (hidden wealth) as one person with a limit of 8 reports continuous migration throughout the seasons.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #381 on: April 05, 2010, 01:05:39 am »

Adamantium should definitely be rare, but you should be able to find it from every embark.
Really?  It seems to me that if it's *guaranteed* to be in every embark, then there's no mystery, no sense of awe if/when you find it.  I'd argue more towards a likely-but-not-guaranteed-in-every-embark scenario, for that reason.

Hah, Toady just can't win.
People were complaining like crazy with the first 3D version that it was too hard to find magma, underground rivers, and HFS which were guaranteed on every old 2D map, and that they just couldn't really get into the 3D version because of that. Now that those guaranteed features are pretty much back in the latest version, people are complaining like crazy that it's too easy to find those features.  :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:08:11 am by Janus »
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 05, 2010, 02:58:54 am »

Where can I find out what new additions this latest released contains?
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 05, 2010, 03:03:38 am »

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #384 on: April 05, 2010, 03:03:57 am »

Tis punishment for not looking at the site on april fools.

Of all the days to not look at the site, you had to choose that one?
[/quote]
Maybe, like the rest of us, he tried about 6,000 times then gave up?
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing has never been so much fun!
    • View Profile
    • https://terencebennett.wordpress.com/
« Reply #385 on: April 05, 2010, 06:43:01 am »

I checked the site out on the day, saw the new release. Laughed and did something else (thinking it a joke...).
Few hours later, I came back (early hours of the 2nd) and it was still up, and noone seemed 100% whether it was real or not (probably playing it).
I gave in, downloaded it and fired it up...
waited for the punchline which never came...
still waiting for it...best fool ever, how many of us lost a day of playing thinking it was a joke?   ;)

KPeriod

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 05, 2010, 08:12:00 am »

Wow, there goes my life.  Way to go Toady...

*sighs and downloads*

Here we go again...

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 05, 2010, 04:07:55 pm »

Yeah, the amount of ore/gems/fuel is absolutely ridiculous.  It could probably use some toning down, at least at the top 10 levels or so.

mostevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 05, 2010, 04:25:25 pm »

If resources levels are knocked back down it needs to be optional and not the default.   I and probably the majority of the games players don't have the time or inclination to play dozens of times to get a site where I can achieve what I want.  The current model of easier to find harder to get at Adamantium works for me, its not like you get enough to outfit an army.  This feels altogether more dwarfey to me.  We'll be sending mining and logging parties off map eventually anyway, and hopefully we'll be able to send out our own caravans to bring back what we need.

I think its important to have perspective on these things, as its those who play for hours everyday who are most vocal on the forums.  Pay too much heed to some of these voices and there'll be a 20 stage pillow manufacture process involving duckling farms before your dwarves can sleep.... and an unplayable game for anyone without severe OCD.

PS Even with more ore seams, I didn't find any useful weapon/armour metals on my last map before some underground creatures made it all too much fun.  I did have rather a lot of lead...

savanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 05, 2010, 08:18:43 pm »

We'll be sending mining and logging parties off map eventually anyway, and hopefully we'll be able to send out our own caravans to bring back what we need.

That'd be nice. SAND. Playing in a map with no sand? Have a glassmaker immigrant suddenly go fey? TOO BAD. I'm not sure what to say to a caravan to get them to bring back an entire caravan of sand, though.

... there'll be a 20 stage pillow manufacture process involving duckling farms before your dwarves can sleep.... and an unplayable game for anyone without severe OCD.

Hey, duckling farms... what a great idea!

Seriously, though. If you want faster beds, just take along some wood with your expedition. Really helps on maps with scarce trees.

PS Even with more ore seams, I didn't find any useful weapon/armour metals on my last map before some underground creatures made it all too much fun.  I did have rather a lot of lead...

Sounds like you embarked on a spot with 1. No sedimentary layers and 2. No cliffs. The first makes the iron be there - the second makes it easy as pie to get to. Oh, and 3. You then dug down into the underground without a military.

You need a military before you hit those caverns. Don't have the iron, do what we'd do in the old days, you know, last month - trade for it.

I really like trading. My only wish is that you could set up a dwarven outpost, ready to produce a bunch of stuff, and then export it... to another dwarven outpost, on the SAME WORLD. :)

Sav
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31