Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scorching biomes are awesome.  (Read 4769 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Scorching biomes are awesome.
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:37:24 pm »

I genned a world where I changed the minimum temperature to -1000 and the maximum to 1000. My dwarves now live in an area where every caravan, every migrant, every thief and every ambush spontaneously combusts upon entering my territory. It is awesome.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scorching biomes are awesome.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:50:36 pm »

Your dwarves actually live there?

And not, y'know, instantly explode like everything else?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 06:59:46 pm »

Well, they have the protection of Armok. (the protection of [TEMPERATURE:NO] in the init file when I first embarked.)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 07:05:22 pm »

I would love to see clothing act as the [TEMPERATURE:NO] tag. That way you have to have environmental suits. I suppose the wrestlers would have to be fixed as it would be too much fun to watch them explode when they lose their shirt.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:23:08 pm »

Well, you can mod in exosuits fit for extremely cold areas, but having an actual magma-proof suit would be awesome. You know, instead of waiting for the fire imps to come out, bring the fight to THEM. With axes.

And yes, spontaneous migrant combustion sounds good. I really need to do that the next time I embark somewhere, after some time it becomes really annoying to assign a job to every migrant before they just sit there and eat my good dwarves' food drink my good dwarves' booze.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:14:02 pm »

I recall that I once accidentally set the mintemp to 500 once.  On arrival in a 'scorching' biome, all of my dwarves and animals caught fire, followed by their supply of rum exploding.

I found myself thinking, "WHY IS ALL THE RUM GONE!?"

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:24 pm »

Well, you can mod in exosuits fit for extremely cold areas, but having an actual magma-proof suit would be awesome. You know, instead of waiting for the fire imps to come out, bring the fight to THEM. With axes.

And yes, spontaneous migrant combustion sounds good. I really need to do that the next time I embark somewhere, after some time it becomes really annoying to assign a job to every migrant before they just sit there and eat my good dwarves' food drink my good dwarves' booze.
Adamantine platemail already does that if I recall.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:12:36 pm »

I recall that I once accidentally set the mintemp to 500 once.  On arrival in a 'scorching' biome, all of my dwarves and animals caught fire, followed by their supply of rum exploding.

I found myself thinking, "WHY IS ALL THE RUM GONE!?"
Were this any other community, I'd believe you when you say that it was an accident.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 01:43:48 am »

I genned a world where I changed the minimum temperature to -1000 and the maximum to 1000. My dwarves now live in an area where every caravan, every migrant, every thief and every ambush spontaneously combusts upon entering my territory. It is awesome.
I did that once. Except without TEMPERATURE:OFF, and I tried to show someone how to play DF with that world... Yeah....
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 03:33:01 am »

It's going to be a shame when the simulation becomes complex enough to render things like temperature during world gen. We won't have hilarious stuff like this any longer.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs