Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Concerning DF2010 Spoilers  (Read 2301 times)

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Concerning DF2010 Spoilers
« on: March 31, 2010, 05:37:52 pm »

When DF2010 is released, I fear that all within 2 minutes the secrets about HFS, Forgotten Creatures, and other possible spoilers are going to be flung all over the forum. Even with spoiler tags, things get revealed and some people may forget to use them. I think that the forum should either attempt to not discuss these things, or put anything concerning spoilers into a dedicated thread so not to ruin it for others. I know if you don't want to be spoilered you should try avoiding it, but for someone lurking the forums, it would be hard avoiding spoilers with ever three threads about the new HFS. Of course, my predictions may be wrong.

Thoughts?
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Concerning DF2010 Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:42:00 pm »

You want to be not spoiled, stay away from the forums. No matter what you will do it will leak.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 05:43:11 pm »

Thankfully it'll be near impossible to spoil everything about the forgotten critters, given their generation.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 05:52:43 pm »

Wait.
Repeat the first 4 words in your post.
Again.

I think that most people will be playing it nonstop for a while before returning to the forums to talk about it. That's what I'm planning on at least. Most of the community are decent people and I'm sure would put up plenty of warnings and spoiler tags anyway. The wiki even has the warnings and gigantic page pauses to keep away those who want a surprise.

Heck, I remember it took me a few months on the forums to discover current HFS (and I had to click a tag).

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 06:01:25 pm »

This is the way things used to be done around here - Nobody ever really spoke about all the spoiler-y stuff, and if they did it was in a very oblique way.

Now people just throw it out wherever, ruining the surprise for countless people. Kind of sad, really.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 06:08:53 pm »

The worst part about the current handling of spoilers is that people use fucking ridiculous terms like "clown" and "funhouse", which only serve to intrigue a player to look it up. People should just use spoiler tags or Toady should make a Spoiler discussion subforum.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 06:10:09 pm »

Yeah there's only usually been one big spoiler in the game, and then people started endlessly using that terrible clown euphemism trying to be witty, and therefor actually making people more curious and aware of the thing they were originally trying to hide.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 06:13:58 pm »

Oh really? I've spent too much time in the Finally... section. When I was more active in the DF areas of the forums everyone was always very good about keeping spoilers safe.

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 06:14:43 pm »

Good posts. Keep it up.

One thing I see with the spoilers is that while the forum we have now is very mature, when the next version comes out new people are going to "come out of hiding" and start posting on the forums. And chances are one of those new people could be a immature spoiler troll. Or an elf. Whichever one is worse.
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 06:17:18 pm »

the forum we have now is very mature,

How do you figure?

Whiskey Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 06:24:18 pm »

Considering how rare the "HFS" has been in the 3d versions to date, you pretty much have to look up spoilers just to know it exists.

In the 2d versions you were almost guaranteed to run into it eventually, whether you knew about it or not, so keeping it a semi-secret actually made things more Fun for newbies. 

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 06:38:11 pm »

Considering how rare the "HFS" has been in the 3d versions to date, you pretty much have to look up spoilers just to know it exists

that's what they're fixing in this version though... with the new underground it will be a lot easier to encounter the HFS.

which is why we have to be more careful about spoiling it.. it could happen to anyone know!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 07:08:55 pm »

I personally just looked up the spoilers once I saw some allusions to them on the forum. In fact, I'd be surprised if more than a handful of players had the willpower to not do the same. I always assumed that basically everyone knew what the spoilers were and that the use of spoilers at all was just common courtesy to appease ourselves. I don't really see people playing a game without a plot in the typical sense reading the word 'spoilers' and not being intrigued. I haven't even played on a long-term map with HFS before myself. It's just as well known as every other aspect of the game.

That being said, if you don't want things in general - and not just HFS, the forgotten beasts, whatever - spoiled for you, just don't come on the forums for a little while. I imagine there'll be tons upon tons of posts and new threads about what's going on and much shouting of "for science" and whatnot. As Toady once said, it's all going to be secret until the first five minutes and then everyone will know. For me, it's the keeping it secret in the development phase that's important, and Toady's done a great job of that; I fully expect myself to eagerly devour every new piece of information unearthed by the community whether I've stumbled across it or not.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 07:55:29 pm »

Spoilers? there is nothing to hide!

Everyone has encountered
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and
the only spoilers i think we can expect to see is the new
and the
. so really, there is nothing to hide.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:29:49 pm »

losing is fun thus so losing to know this info from first hand experience must be tons of fun. it's a shame for those who get the first hand expericence to win.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2