Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting the word out  (Read 1979 times)

Thirster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting the word out
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:54:11 am »

Assuming it isn't a April fools

I think with only few days left we should start getting the word out to the masses.

Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, 4chan, AT, etc etc, every social media you can think of. Talk about it at school, uni, work, get the word out.

I'll be doing my part, will you?

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting the word out
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:17:48 am »

I'm not sure if we should start just yet. Like Toady said, the initial version will be buggy and it won't have the speed-up code Baughn has worked so hard on. People might have a better experience in trying the game out for the first time (or returning to it) when it's more stable and works faster.

Also, people seem to like tilesets and StoneSense, which will take some time to get working right. (Though tilesets not that long if I'm not mistaken)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:22:37 am by LASD »

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:33:31 am »

I honestly think this is the least of our worries
Thank you based dwarf.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 07:39:30 am »

I'm not sure if we should start just yet. Like Toady said, the initial version will be buggy and it won't have the speed-up code Baughn has worked so hard on. People might have a better experience in trying the game out for the first time (or returning to it) when it's more stable and works faster.

Indeed. crashy-buggy version would do more damage than good. First impression matters a lot and you are pretty much guaranteed to make people remember it only as "it crashed and did not work, i deleted it, i don't care about it".

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:28 am »

please don't tell 4chan.

he's not a cool guy and does afraid of everything.

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:00:55 am »

Indeed. crashy-buggy version would do more damage than good. First impression matters a lot and you are pretty much guaranteed to make people remember it only as "it crashed and did not work, i deleted it, i don't care about it".
yeah exactly, let's wait til it's relatively stable before advertising it to our not-yet-addicted friends.  ;)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:21:32 am »

Also, people seem to like tilesets and StoneSense, which will take some time to get working right. (Though tilesets not that long if I'm not mistaken)
QFT.
Altho I'll post about release on my local forums.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:53:25 am »

Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, 4chan, AT, etc etc, every social media you can think of. Talk about it at school, uni, work, get the word out.
I don't want to reveal what an immense geek I am QUUIIIIIITE yet.

please don't tell 4chan.
he's not a cool guy and does afraid of everything.
Actually, 4chan has contributed a lot to the user base. I found it from /tg/ and I'm by no means am a mouth-breathing arsehole.
I don't think you get how many donations/users can potentially come from 4chan.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:01:28 am »

I found it from /tg/ and I'm by no means am a mouth-breathing arsehole.
Which orifice do you use to breath then?

;D

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 09:07:39 am »

I found it from /tg/ and I'm by no means am a mouth-breathing arsehole.
Which orifice do you use to breath then?

;D
Maybe he meant an ass-breathing mouth-hole?  :P

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:53:16 am »

Hi!

Actually, I would recommend to wait about spreading the word. As it is even now, we are worried about how the wave of downloads will crash the servers. And inviting more people to join the first waves does not really seem like a move that helps (^_^;;

Deathworks

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:56:00 am »

I don't want to reveal what an immense geek I am QUUIIIIIITE yet.

I'm embarrassed to admit to the real world that I know the difference between a firewall and an anti-virus, let alone that I play dwarf fortress... but I'm so tempted to scream it as loud as I can just in case one of my friends is a closet geek as well. How can I make subtle references without revealing my geekiness or seeming like a freak? Probably impossible.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 11:25:55 am »

How can I make subtle references without revealing my geekiness or seeming like a freak? Probably impossible.

Easier than you think.  Making a subtle DF reference that no one gets will simply go unnoticed by people unfamiliar with it while fellow geeks may understand and appreciate it.  Something like this will ferret out out the hardcore dorks, while norms will think you're a hipster with some random t-shirt.
At last, she is done.

Mylar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 11:30:35 am »

Sometimes you never know who is a closet geek. My wife's cousin was over for dinner the other day. The kids turned on the Wii to watch some cartoons, and when they loaded the homebrew channel he started laughing and I questioned him on potential geek factors.

Turns out he:
+1: Had a flashcart in his DS.
+2: Has a softmodded wii.
+.5: Knew what nethack was. (but had never actually played...  meh, half a point there the vast majority of people hear "nethack" and start thinking of bad 80's hacker movies rather then a roguelike... actually, most people hearing roguelike would think of a thief, not a video game)
+6: PLAYS DF.

I never knew...

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 11:39:49 am »

I'm pretty sure most of the internet already knows. DF is pretty famous.
Pages: [1] 2