Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Hospitals  (Read 1816 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitals
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

To continue in my early modern age vein (which might be too modern for DF) you could just have stretcher teams that, after the battle is well and truly over, drag the survivors to the surgeon for emergency amputations and the like.

Medics are so modern it'd break the fantasy mood, I think. They were brought about in the wake of World War one and Florence Nightingale's work.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2007, 10:30:00 pm »

Peg legs and hook hands just make too much storyline sense. Further, having a powerful dwarf laying in bed the rest of their lives because they lost a FINGER just doesn't seem.. right.

Get an eyepatch, strap on a hook, hobble around on a peg, and get back to work you whiners! A grizzled war veteran missing a few limbs or at least an eye is an awesome character and DF suffers for only having them as useless bed-bound slugs.

Clockwork limbs are right out though, they're miles beyond anything that's in the game right now technology-wise. Is it cool? Sure. Is is consistent with the gameworld? No, I don't think so. :P When magic is fully integrated into DF, perhaps golem-limbs could be cool though, including chances of insanity/berzerk due to being crudely melded with a magical force.. but that's far, far off.

[ August 11, 2007: Message edited by: Stromko ]

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2007, 01:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>To continue in my early modern age vein (which might be too modern for DF) you could just have stretcher teams that, after  the battle is well and truly over, drag the survivors to the surgeon for emergency amputations and the like.

Medics are so modern it'd break the fantasy mood, I think. They were brought about in the wake of World War one and Florence Nightingale's work.</STRONG>

Medics are not modern, just the concept. The romans for example had competent healers, battlefield medicine had not caught up at the time because people had no inkling about bacteria, shock and the like. They did however know a lot about bleeding and broken bones.

Which begs the question... how advanced are the dwarves in DF? I mean they can create a forge that harnesses a magma flow for heat without melting or creating a mini-volcano. Thats pretty advanced, granted in a different branch of science. Personally id say the best level of technology for them would be "enough to be fun".

[ August 12, 2007: Message edited by: Tamren ]

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]