Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Hospitals  (Read 1814 times)

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitals
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 12:23:00 am »

IVAN style limb replacements are not appropriate for Dwarf Fortress IMHO.  Too fullmetalalchemist-y.  Peglegs... good.  Maybe you could replacing a lost arm with a prosthetic axe or something?  Funny, maybe kinda stupid, but it would be a neat what-if feature.

There's a lot in the dev notes about healing and such, including magical healing.

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 02:56:00 am »

I wonder what the effect of replaceing all the arms of my wrestlers with maces and shortswords

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 06:40:00 am »

Hi!

Personally, I don't think dwarves should do any real replacement surgery. I agree that wooden legs as for pirates should be it.

However, I really think the healing system needs to be made more reliable, so that any dwarf will eventually be released from hospital. She may be lacking a limb or two, which may reduce her effectivity, but at least she won't flood you with really stupid job cancellations for bringing water.

Of course, if a dwarf is too seriously butchered, having them retired would also be interesting. I guess that would be the only case where bringing water all the time for the rest of their lives would make sense.

Mmmmhhhh, having dwarves collect experience in health care and then becoming nurses would be interesting, too.

Deathworks

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 07:17:00 am »

I'd like to see dwarves who are too badly hurt to work to spend their time teaching other dwarves. If a legendary soldier can't fight anymore, he can at least teach your dwarves a thing or two about fighting goblins. This would tie in with apprentices/teaching too.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 09:13:00 am »

quote:

Personally, I don't think dwarves should do any real replacement surgery. [/QB]

Agreed. At least ordinary healers/clerics etc shouldnt be able to replace lost limbs. Perhaps the mightiest magic users should be able to "heal them", but maybe that would be hardcore even. I dont see a problem with lost limbs. We can replace the "useless" dwarves. Yes its a pain to loose a dwarf due to injuries like this but so what? This is making the game more challenging and realistic.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »

quote:
I wonder what the effect of replaceing all the arms of my wrestlers with maces and shortswords  

Resistance is futile. We are the BORG. Assimilate.

No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »

We will definitely require peg-legs and hook-hands when sailing comes in.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 06:28:00 am »

What if replacement arms/legs would require VERY HIGH QUALITY (masterwork ?) mechanisms?

Small gears and the like to give a 'quasi-robot' arm?

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Twilight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 08:46:00 am »

Hello,
  I like the idea of a "doctor"!  Noble OR profession???  This is as big of a question as having it in the first place.

Just one comment on a doctor noble/craftsdwarf:  LET'S HAVE DOCTORS, BUT, THEN, OF COURSE, WE'D HAVE TO ALSO INCLUDE ATTORNEY  :cool:  [the beginning of the end??)!!

quot;Your world was destroyed by the price of plant cheese."

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

Sherrif Cancels Chain Animal: Listening to lawyer
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »

The Matron Noble.
A super strict female dwarf dedicated to making sure injured dwarves recover- at any cost.
About as pleasant to talk to as the Hammer and damned tough; any injured dwarves going into a mad rage are either going to get beaten back into bed or beaten beyond this life and the next.

How about it? Dwarven society just seems to be crying out for a bearded alpha-female to keep all the injured people under control.

I imagine she wouldn't have much to do with advanced surgery and the like, though. Perhaps administering nasty-tasting 'medicine' (or the traditional dwarven remedy; alcohol), bandaging up broken limbs and such. People assigned to health care would get a beating if they didn't deliver food and water for their patients, either. =P

[ July 22, 2007: Message edited by: Kholint ]

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 02:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kholint:
<STRONG>People assigned to health care would get a beating if they didn't deliver food and water for their patients, either. =P
</STRONG>

That would be an interesting failure mode for a fortress: the number of wounded slightly exceeds the available time for bringing food and water, so the Sheriff has one of the health care workers beaten.  Now there's one more patient, and one less health care worker.  Repeat until only the Fortress Guard is left standing.

The Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »

May I suggest either brewing healing potions/or Priest Noble/or Temple because this is a fantasy game after all, and healing needs not be all secular?
h34R my 1337 masterwork turtle bone crossbows of doom!

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »

Healing potions/spells where created for games that don't want to bother with the intricacies of health and medicine. But this is DF, I demand horribly complex procedures and requisites just to create a single band-aid. I want to lose hours of sleep trying to figure out how to make them and then cry myself to sleep because I mistakenly cooked the last seeds of the plant that I needed.

Joking aside. I suppose all that heathen stuff about healing will get on board along with the rest of the magic aspects of the game as development progresses.

[ August 04, 2007: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Nexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 05:52:00 am »

Just one thing, we have to remember that DF takes place in some kind of alternative medieval setting.  And everyone knows how good (bad) those guys were with surgery and the like; they didnt even know that hygiene was necessary when performing amputation.  So most surgery is a bit too complex, I think.  

Still, I like the idea of some simpler medication and a doctor noble, but there's really no point in having dwarves work with it too. They can just stick with the getting water/food for patients and occasional chat, while the doctor performs more advanced stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4