Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Hospitals  (Read 1815 times)

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospitals
« on: July 13, 2007, 10:30:00 pm »

Im getting really annoyed at all these injured dwarves doing nothing but causing trouble by being all deperessed so heres what I perpose.

'Doctor' Noble.

This noble comes and gives you access to the making of a 'Hospital Workshop'

The workshop enables the following

The production of bandaids, surigical equipment, the choice to do surgery. Also you have the choice of making implants for lost limbs and painkillers.

Surigical equipment would be all made of steel and is needed for doctors to operate on bleeding, mangled, and patients with lost limbs. Painkillers are made by willow ( aspirin ) logs + 3 crystal vails. Implants are made by 1 wood + 2 metal bars.

A new Labour option would be 'Doctor'. Health care labour is only good for bringing people into beds and giving them food and drink.

Doctor dwarves would be able to treat dwarves once their in a hospital zone ( designated by a bed'room' ). They can stop bleeding, replace lost limbs, mend broken limbs and ease pain.

The higher the skill level doctor the higher chance of the patient being properly treated, the time it takes to treat a patient and the time it takes a patient to recover.

With the hospital, dwarves who suffer from major injuries that are properly treated would only have to wait 2 weeks before being able to continue with their duties.

When having a doctor with a level of novice or below there is a possible chance that the patient might die during surgery.

Doctor dwarves when reaching the level of 'Doctor' can be activiated into becoming a full time doctor. Like how Fortress Gaurds are made. There must be a 1:20 ratio of doctors to dwarves or the Doctor Noble gets mad.

lastly, doctors are given the option of 'enthunaise'. When choosing this the patient dwarf will be killed painlessly. If you do it to a dwarf who is really badly injured, the doctors will probably not be sad. But doing it on a somewhat major or minor patient will cause the doctors to tantrum.

Battleguy01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitals
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

I like all the ideas, except the replacing of lost limbs.
OH DUDE ! You just copied and pasted the spambot's links !!! YOU LAZY A** !" ~Blob

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:47:00 pm »

Acacia has aspirin properties as well. Other substances could be used as well, I am sure. How about curare? Poison arrows (Indiana Jones style) and can be used as an anaesthetic, by a SKILLED practitioner. There is a reason anaesthesiologists have the highest malpractice insurance...

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

I would've thought you could use Obsidian for surgical equipment as well...

I do like the idea of this though, except for replacing limbs. I think that instead you should have the option to amputate limbs. For example, if you had a dwarf with a mangled arm, then you could choose to wait for it to heal or amputate it. Amputation would obvously mean loosing the limb but they would also be able to get back to work much sooner.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 12:49:00 am »

Amputation would probably play a bigger role once/if gangreen and infections start playing a role, along with diseases and such.  Otherwise, fixing a 'mangled' item would only take some severe surgery.

(I've always imagined a mangled object to be something where the bone has broken in several spots, and/or the broken bone has been badly misplaced and perhaps has pierced the outer layer of skin, and/or most of the flesh has been torn off of that extremity.  In these cases, it is repairable, but there would probably be permanent damage, but I'm also no doctor, so...)

Some new colors would probably be needed for infected wounds: Light/dark green for an infection from a lightly damaged item, and lighter/darker for broken and mangled limbs and such.

But yes, obsidian could be used as a surgical implement...  Knowning DF's creators, though, you'll be able to use just about everything if something like this comes up.  I think doctors would just us a knife or an axe, personally.

Ian Crowsmell, Doctor, cancels Amputate Head: Needs axe.

Medicine and cures is another consideration.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 01:54:00 am »

But surgery isnt just a hack and slash job. It must be done accurately and percisly! Small tools are needed to get into the tightest spot and not some blade thats been hacking at trees. Obsidan would be okay too then.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 02:48:00 am »

Not hack and slash? Look at US Civil War Surgery! It's atrocious ;D

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 03:10:00 am »

Well yeah thats war surgery. This isnt war surgery. Its not for the purpose of gettin' troops either ready for death or back on the battle field, this is to get dwarves back working as soon as possible without killing them. Its not as if dwarves will be on the battlefield long enough that they can be rushed back and forth from a hospital to a battlefield.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 04:33:00 am »

I think we definitely need something like dwarf priests to heal the wounded. However replacing lost limbs?! Maybe with high magic, but not with healing.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 12:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>I think we definitely need something like dwarf priests to heal the wounded. However replacing lost limbs?! Maybe with high magic, but not with healing.</STRONG>

Actually, this makes me think not of magic, per se, but an herbalist priest, like Friar Lawrence from Romeo & Juliet.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

you might be interested in this old thread. http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001008

We batted ideas back and forth for quite a while.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

Why does everyone have to bring magic in the equation. Id just prefer regular doctors, the only silly thing would be the replacement of limbs with implants made from wood and metal.

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lokum:
<STRONG>Why does everyone have to bring magic in the equation. Id just prefer regular doctors, the only silly thing would be the replacement of limbs with implants made from wood and metal.</STRONG>

What's wrong with hook hands and peg legs?

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

Maybe a replacement limb should be limited to an artifact. The artifact system could look at the friends of the creator, and if their best friend lost an arm, they could get a new one made.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »

Replacement limbs should be in, I think. Just don't think modern prosthetics with mechanized joints. Think pirate peg-leg. Leather strap, fitted pole, there ya go, a new leg.

Of course such a limb wouldn't be nearly as functional as a real one; have a -50% movement speed for example.

As I think about this further, I'd say peg-legs are about it. A replacement hand with basic functions seems way too complex for the dwarves, but for a missing leg (especially if below the knee,) I'd imagine the dwarves could work it out.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4