Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adasteel  (Read 790 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adasteel
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:35:24 pm »

In Vanilla DF and most mods it is only the dwarves that have access to the secrets of strand extracting. But what do the other races do with raw adamantine when they manage to find some and dig it up? Sure they can sell it to the dwarves for the GNP of the mountain home four years in a row, but what then? They know it is valuable, much more than microcline though they look similar, and likely they know that a metal can be refined from it. This should start the greatest espionage war of all time. Eventually someone is going to figure out how to manufacture it (be it a crazed wizard or brilliant alchemist or a demented merchant that makes a deal with a demon or a noble who lets loose a demon blight upon the land) or at least use it somehow.

Thus a I give you Adasteel, perhaps one of the above methods found this lesser method of utilizing raw adamantine or perhaps it was a dwarven misinformation campaign (with the higher quality adamantine just passed off as "superior dwarven forging techniques").

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Adasteel
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 08:00:48 pm »

well this seems awesome.  While it may be inferior to pure adamantine, you'll be able to stretch your spoiler-ite supplies and give more high quality equipment to your military.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 08:04:01 pm »

So it's an alloy of iron and adamantine? Worse than the pure stuff, but usuable by the other races? Nice.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:42:23 pm »

So it's an alloy of iron and adamantine? Worse than the pure stuff, but usuable by the other races? Nice.

*nods* Always bothered me that no other race could use it but they knew it was obviously valuable.

The way it is set up right now you will not find any race using it if they invade but any race being played in fortress mode that can use the smelter can make this stuff if they have access to the raw materials.

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:52:17 am »

One thing that comes to mind, is the fact you're getting a lot more adasteel bars out of your ore than you'd get adamantine wafers  (9 times as much, it seems, as 3 bars are created, each 3 times the size of a wafer) at only a 75% decrease in effectiveness. Perhaps something to consider, especially with this being much more economical to create large amounts of rather powerful weapons and armour for your entire fortress.

But I definitely love this idea! : D
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED
_|   _|             BUTTS

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:47:22 am »

Well you have a point about that, I'll have to consider it. Of course there is the argument that most alloy material makes up such a small amount of the final product (usually less than 10%).

1 Waffer = 1 unit, 1 bar = 3 units, 6 units of iron plus 1 unit of adamantine = 7 units 1/7 =14.29% so that seems almost right.

Maybe if I made it 100% of 2 bars and 33% of a third bar.