Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Think magma vapor could hurt an environment?  (Read 1764 times)

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
Think magma vapor could hurt an environment?
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »

Alright, I was thinking of my "If Dwarves Advanced"  topic, and thought of something else.

Wouldn't magma vapor cause environmental harm in some sort or fashion? I'd think it would cause acid rain or something, because the gas itself is pretty much acidic.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Think magma vapor could hurt an environment?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 06:15:33 pm »

Magma is molten rock.
Any kind of vapor would be about the same as powdered rock.

That would be unpleasant, but probably not any more environmenticidal than ash clouds from fires, etc.

Now, pockets of gasses that have been "absorbed" per say into said magma, potentially including sulfur dioxide among others, could easily harm the environment.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:16:48 pm »

^ what they said.

*puts on environmental science hat*

Massive eruptions definitely have environmental effects- look at Krakatoa, for instance. It erupted in the 1800s and it took several years for global temperatures to get back to normal (I'm sure I read that somewhere besides Wikipedia.)
Permanent effects... well, the lava itself obviously changes the land it lands on, haha. But I don't know about the gases and ash. Geology isn't my major.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:07:58 pm »

well, the lava itself obviously changes the land it lands on, haha.
and also eventually makes more land,too.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TiagoTiago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:42:33 pm »

If you look into a volcano, if the heat doesn't kill you, the gases probably will.

edit:unless, of course, if you are using one of those spacemen hazmat mirror suits , then the biggest risks are the ground under you melting or collapsing, and lavabombs i guess, pyroplastic flows might be messy too i think

And as it has  been mentioned before, don't forget volcanic winters (kinda like nuclear winters, but due to volcanoes)

I'm not sure about medium scale effects though.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:47:50 pm by TiagoTiago »
---
Notification emails don't always reach me, please let me know if you think it has happened (like if i don't reply a thread i'm expected to reply for more than a week)

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 04:00:22 am »

OOooh!  My brother was in Ecuador a few years ago and there was a volcanic eruption not too far from the town he was staying in.  Ash was everywhere.  The main dangers where he was at were inhaling fine particles of ash, which I imagine could cause respiratory complications, and deposition of ashes on rooftops.  That stuff is heavy, as it is basically stone!!!  My bro said there were countless collapsed roofs and other damaged structures.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 05:20:05 am »

Ash clouds from volcanic lava have fluor and other toxic gasses.  Livestock grazing in such enviroment will get an unstoppable bone growth and die painfully.  This bone growth can take several months to develop afther the animal has been in the toxic gases.
We found the zirilid stream

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 09:00:01 am »

OOooh!  My brother was in Ecuador a few years ago and there was a volcanic eruption not too far from the town he was staying in.  Ash was everywhere.  The main dangers where he was at were inhaling fine particles of ash, which I imagine could cause respiratory complications, and deposition of ashes on rooftops.  That stuff is heavy, as it is basically stone!!!  My bro said there were countless collapsed roofs and other damaged structures.

Well, said fine particle of "ash" are actually fine powdered obsidian (essentially glass).  So you don't exactly want to get a lung full of ash (also really bad for cars, as those ash can grind their way through engine filters).  Even worse, it's a powder, which mean when it come in contact with moisture, such as those you find in your lung... boom, instant cement.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 02:17:38 pm »

The gas plumes that come out of volcanoes include silicon and sulfur compounds, but above the dense smoke (particle) clouds, there are mile-high plumes of invisible gas that drift downwind.  These plumes create invisible 'walls' in the sky that are hazardous to jet aircraft.  Sulfur + Silicon + water vapor + heat and pressure = a thin coating of glass and a haze of sulfuric acid inside your million-dollar jet turbine.  For bonus "fun" consider the abrasive properties of flying through a suspension of obsidian dust at Mach 0.75 and then trying to see through your windshield afterwards.

Have fun landing that plane, suckers!

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/tephra/ashandaircraft.php
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.