Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: SparkGear X-TREME  (Read 58264 times)

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
Re: SparkGear X-TREME
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2010, 04:21:13 pm »

Yeah, watch out for Thrathnu too, he's still wandering around the second cavern probably. Before I scummed he had no arms, no feet, and everything red. He couldn't hurt anyone, but since my dwarves refused to grab weapons (even after I had to rotate a squad out of combat so they could eat and drink) he wasn't getting hurt either.

Got the pump system figured out? Also there's a tree in the way of a wall in the second cavern; that'll need to be chopped down and a wall built there before the system can start.

Oh yeah, how's my score?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2010, 05:54:13 pm »

Yeah, watch out for Thrathnu too, he's still wandering around the second cavern probably. Before I scummed he had no arms, no feet, and everything red. He couldn't hurt anyone, but since my dwarves refused to grab weapons (even after I had to rotate a squad out of combat so they could eat and drink) he wasn't getting hurt either.

Got the pump system figured out? Also there's a tree in the way of a wall in the second cavern; that'll need to be chopped down and a wall built there before the system can start.

Oh yeah, how's my score?

Actually, Thrathnu was the problem.  When I cut down that tree you're talking about he was able to get into that staircase.  If I have time during my turn I'm going to try taking a hammer dwarf at him in tha cavern where he won't bother anyone else and where I'll have room for a couple guys to attack him.
At last, she is done.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2010, 06:44:41 pm »

I think the site just went down, but anyways... It is now 12:44 GMT, and I am claiming a spot for the 15th of April.
Yeah, thats how sad dedicated I am :P I have 2 weeks off school and nothing else to do so  :-\
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2010, 08:27:34 pm »

Okay, huggz is added. Writing up scores for the past few days.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2010, 12:08:08 am »

Word of caution: I might know why that mason went nuts for lack of body parts. I've just discovered in my fort that shells fall under that category now. Since the insane ramblings don't tell you which particular body parts they want, this might be the cause.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2010, 12:48:10 am »

Thought it might be that.  No chance to fish for turtles now... fortress is on lockdown for siege #2: trolls and all mounted gobbos.  Troll killed that butcher shop outside, but I was able to pull the bridge just in time.
At last, she is done.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2010, 06:12:39 am »

Quick note: DDFD seems to be going really slow.  I'll keep trying to get the save posted.  Turn details to follow.

--------------

Save File

I awake.

My head begins to clear as the warm, forge-borne light permeates the cell I call home.  Another day of hard labor ahead, I quickly rise for the morning whiskey that makes life bearable.

But wait.  Something’s not right.  Groggy, nearly sober, I stumble out my door into the hallway.  The colors seem… different.  Objects gleam with a newness at once familiar and somehow strange.  I really need that whiskey.

Thirst quenched and sobriety safely deferred, I grab my pick and trudge down the stairs to work on the new mining shaft.  I go down ten flights, then 15.  Expecting to reach my destination any moment I continue going for another 145 levels.  This can’t be.  That’s ten times as deep as we could go when I fell asleep last night.  Now I know something’s wrong, and it’s not just lack of alcohol.  Confused and starting to panic, I ascend this behemoth stairwell to find out just what’s going on here.

Hungry, thirsty, and tired, I finally make it back to the main level of the fortress.  I grab a passing stonecrafter and ask him what happened to the stairway, how we managed to breach the formerly absolute barrier holding us back to 15 z’s.  Asking me if I’ve had enough to drink, he pats me on the beard and continues on.  I must get to the bottom of this.  I need to find our leader.

Searching for someone in charge I continue to get odd glances from all my brothers and sisters.  Finally, I corner a weaver and demand to know what’s going on.  “Umm… Graebeard… you’re the boss.  We all decided you were in charge once Samoorai realized how much work it is to pump magma up 160z’s  and stepped down as lawgiver.”

This isn’t right.  None of this makes any sense.  And then it comes to me: I’m still asleep.  I didn’t wake up this morning, I only dreamt I did.  I must still be in my bed back home where everything is normal.

Seeing everyone look to me, I decide to play along.  It’s my dream, so why not have some fun.  I decide to tackle the magma issue while I wait to wake up, and see if I can’t fix this place up a bit.

I begin to shout orders, taking joy in the sight of minions scurrying off to do my bidding.  As the day bears on I begin to weary.  A meal and some booze later I feel better.  Odd that I can order people around in my dream somehow still need to eat and drink.  Oh well.  Odder still is the food around here.  Liver?  Organ meat?  Not that I’m complaining about the variety, but this all seems too strange to be springing from my unconsciousness.  Pondering the strange phantasms of my idle brain, I wonder if I should seek help from the Therapist once I awake.

Come nighttime I retired to my grand quarters.  Lying in bed while others slept did no good.  It seems I can’t sleep while in this dream.  Surely I must wake up from all this soon.

The horrors of the last several days are nearly overwhelming.  I still have not slept.  I am beginning to lose hope that I will ever wake up, that I will ever return to the simple, safe world I know must exist beneath this gruesome lie.

It all began with a siege.  Simple, I thought.  Then I saw the mount on which the twisted goblin leader strode.  Never have I beheld such a horrifying sight.  A "Rutherer" they call it.  It's hideousness is matched only by the villainy of the goblin race.  My confidence faltering, I decide to play it safe by letting those foul beasts rush straight into my cage traps.  One of my soldiers refused such cowardice by immediately rushing out to engage the invaders.  His death was swift.

Only two of the ignoble cretins made it through.  Thinking my victory already earned, I order a squad of soldiers out to clear up the remaining garbage.  Stronger than I ever feared, those two goblins hospitalized four of my soldiers before they fell.

This encounter has made me realize that the former plan of fueling our beautiful forges with the wood of surface trees is untenable.  There is no above ground wall to protect our woodcutters and gatherers from these monstrous sieges.  We must look downward for our salvation.

My grassp on this world is fading.  Still no sleep.  Nor couldcould I sleep if sleep might come.  Not after the my atttempts to use the system of underground caverns human-cheesing through our maountain.  They present a tempting target; flush as they are with grwoths suitable for our forges' unquenchable appetite.  But no.

The things that meat us down there have names, but I cannot pronounce them.  I know them only by the carnage they wreak.  First we hear of a skinless aligator that has infiltrated our caverns, then we heer it's thunderous footsteps reverberating through the mountain.  Heading directly towards an opening in the future magma pump system, it tears through the fortess bleeding foulness throughout our home before it is finally brought down.

This attack was soon followed by the appearance of Sedme: a flying thing that also breathes fire.  I have managed to avoid this monstrosity tthus far, but see it inching towards my building and know it will soon rain fire upon us.

Stil no rest.  This cannnnnnnot fo on much olnger.  More seigeres.  Hav'ent seen the sun since I can't remember when.  Mae never again.  Cant get topside long enough to make draownin chamber. Only hope lies in Magma.  Magma dissolves all.  heh.  I am placing our galss, melters, and forges directly on the omlten core of this world.  Glass corckscrews.  One hundred moar will do it.  no charkoal needed, heh.  Then I will wake up.  Then I will leeve this place.

It is working.  I no that ill wake up once magma reacheees the surface.

I can now see everything with perfect clarity.  I have broken through.  I can see the truth.  What I once thought was a dream is not a dream at all.  This world is more true than the one I used to dream.  I am not sleeping... I have finally woken up.

I also see that this world, while truer than the last, is still a shadow of the truth cast by the flame of Armok's consuming fire.  I will not return whence I came.  I will step forward rather than backwards.  I have diverted the labor of the fortress to a new project: to a machine that will aid in my transcendence.

It is simple, really.  This body will join Armok's blood, freeing my mind to step forward into the light.  I am designing a place to wait in water, while Armok's cleansing fire descends upon me.  What was once flesh will become stone.  I will become pure.  I will become like unto a god.

(No further entries)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:09:48 am by Graebeard »
At last, she is done.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2010, 08:37:49 am »

Done this turn:
  • Dug out a magma industry 160z's down.  Glass corkscrews and pipes are flying out of the furnaces.  Designated a burrow and assigned dwarfs to keep them down there working.  Also irrigated in case that area ever needs to be locked off from the world.  No way to lock it off yet, but it can be done.
  • Added several floors of pumps, continued channeling out the pump system.  Lots of pump parts ready for building.
  • Widened the 160z central staircase to at least 3x3 to accommodate traffic.
  • Defined some burrows.  Set up a "stay inside" alert for civilians that keeps them to the main central levels inside.  You know, in case we can ever retake the surface.
  • Began a large above ground wall to protect forest, lakes, and catapults.  Could not finish before siege flood.
  • Set military uniforms to metal plate and started making armor.  More needed.
  • Didn't finish my project to encase my dwarf in obsidian.  The magma is all set up, but I haven't figured out a good way to do the water part and floor tiling is incomplete.  Last several hours have been running at 15 fps (started at 30) because of all the invaders, and I just couldn't get it done.

To do:
  • The pump stack system opens to the cave system, and has been constantly attacked by weird ass creatures.  If I were to keep playing I'd completely seal it off so there's no chance the flying fire breather Sedme could get in there.  I lost several pumps when the others made it in.
  • The pump stack system has not been properly dug out the whole way up.  Make sure you don't need to do any channeling before you place more pumps.
  • [DO NOT OPEN A PATH TO THRANTHU.  Fighting him launches serious pathfinding bugs and he doesn't seem to be killable.
  • With the invaders and ensuing FPS dive I wasn't able to complete my obsidian encasing maching or the tiling in my tomb.  Feel free to finish it and sacrifice me if you like.  It's right next to the magma forges.
  • Retaking the top would be awesome, but those gobbos up there are some mean bastards.  be careful.
At last, she is done.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2010, 09:34:40 am »

Aww, you didn't go into my office! How dare you rob me of a startled, confused cry of "What the?!" *shakes fist*
The pump stack system opens to the cave system, and has been constantly attacked by weird ass creatures.  If I were to keep playing I'd completely seal it off so there's no chance the flying fire breather Sedme could get in there.  I lost several pumps when the others made it in.
So you cut down that tree and didn't seal the breach? It's only one tile. I made damn sure the rest was totally sealed off. I think.
The pump stack system has not been properly dug out the whole way up.  Make sure you don't need to do any channeling before you place more pumps.
Yeah, that's a LOT of work, and I really needed sleep at that point. But yeah, to all that follow make sure you channel it all out right.
[DO NOT OPEN A PATH TO THRANTHU.  Fighting him launches serious pathfinding bugs and he doesn't seem to be killable.
At least not without a much better trained and armed military. Or lots of spike traps. Check my sig'd fortress for my corridor of death, that does the trick on EVERYTHING. Triple refined design ;)

Oh yeah, put me down for another turn. Friday the 16th please.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:37:01 am by Samoorai »

Azulth

• Bay Watcher
  • No.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2010, 03:05:59 pm »

Can't make it today, sorry. Way too much work to do.

Anyone can take my turn.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2010, 03:18:14 pm »

I'd like to jump in and finish my suicide machine transcendence device if no one minds.
At last, she is done.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2010, 03:20:48 pm »

as soon as i get some free time i am definitely getting in on this.........muahahahaaa.
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2010, 07:35:00 pm »

yea, go for it Graebeard.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:08 pm »

Device nearing completion.  Also, I've been having problems with miasma in the hospital.  Then I noticed that the four dwarfs resting there were rotting.  EVERY PART OF THEM WAS ROTTING.  Also happened to one of the bears :_(

Eww.

Gross.

Thanks, Ngotol.  Your breath was fearsome indeed.
At last, she is done.

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2010, 09:03:15 pm »

Wow, that is gross. Glad morale is holding up, though. ;)

BTW, what was that about going outside to use the drowning trap? Just get them to come into the entranceway and pull the fourth lever from the left. It's labeled 'Last Resort Drain', and the description talks about the evaporation room, which is now the pool that holds water for the drowning trap. Don't forget to tell everyone to stay inside, which I see you've set up an alert for.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28