Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF Stat facebook app?  (Read 2965 times)

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
Re: DF Stat facebook app?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 09:26:26 am »

Also, I'll say it first, Daysnew should move this to modding section.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

daysanew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 02:12:45 pm »

It isn't a mod, doesn't alter the game in anyway.

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 03:09:49 pm »

Neither do Stonesense or Visual Fortress.  'Modding' seems to be taken to mean any third-party code that's meant to interface with the game, whether or not data is going in or coming out.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 03:14:06 pm »

Neither do Stonesense or Visual Fortress.  'Modding' seems to be taken to mean any third-party code that's meant to interface with the game, whether or not data is going in or coming out.
to mod (third-person singular simple present mods, present participle modding, simple past and past participle modded)

1. (slang) To modify an object from its original condition, typically for the purposes of individualizing and/or enhancing the performance of the object.

His friends were particularly impressed with the way he modded his Ruckus.

Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 03:25:39 pm »

to mod (third-person singular simple present mods, present participle modding, simple past and past participle modded)

1. (slang) To modify an object from its original condition, typically for the purposes of individualizing and/or enhancing the performance of the object.

Yes, I realize what the common use of the word is, but it doesn't fit the context of these forums or this game (note that I said 'the' game in my prior post, not 'a' game).  Programs that do not necessarily change the game ('the game' being Dwarf Fortress) have traditionally gone into the modding board.  Precedent, etc.  Quoting the dictionary at me changes nothing.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 03:30:03 pm »

Yes, I realize what the common use of the word is, but it doesn't fit the context of these forums or this game (note that I said 'the' game in my prior post, not 'a' game).  Programs that do not necessarily change the game ('the game' being Dwarf Fortress) have traditionally gone into the modding board.  Precedent, etc.  Quoting the dictionary at me changes nothing.

I was making a point. I disagree with you. I don't think it's modding.
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 03:39:02 pm »

I was making a point. I disagree with you. I don't think it's modding.
parlance (plural parlances)

1. A certain way of speaking, of using words, especially when it comes to those with a particular job or interest.

"In the parlance of the Dwarf Fortress forums, 'modding' can refer to programs that do not necessarily modify the game."

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 03:42:00 pm »

Instead of arguing about semantics, we should just let a mod know and do what they think is best.

Edit:  Also, I approve of the idea of a Facebook app.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:44:47 pm by MagicGuigz »

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 03:45:35 pm »

This is the part where I say 'I'll drop it if he drops it', yes?

daysanew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 03:49:36 pm »

Well either way I choose the general forum because this doesn't change game play, part of my decision on this was the DFterm has remained on the general board (with no complaints), so I figured if this is the place for DFterm this would be the place for my topic.
If a forum mod. feels it should be moved I won't complain.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:51:32 pm by daysanew »

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 03:54:19 pm »

This is the last I'll speak of it.

This doesn't modify the game in the same way a visualizer modifies it. It's really only talking about it-just using another program to do so.

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 04:01:21 pm »

This is the last I'll speak of it.

This doesn't modify the game in the same way a visualizer modifies it. It's really only talking about it-just using another program to do so.
'In the same way a visualizer modifies it'?  What are we talking about, here, computer programs or quantum mechanics?

Fine, here's the last I'll say about it: I think that this topic would better fit in on the Modding board because of the presence of similar topics, moreso than the General board.  That said, it would be no miscarriage of justice if it just stayed here, and the conversation about the classification of the topic could have been a great more civil than it was.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 11:58:40 pm »

I was just suggesting that so some people who have more knowledge of the use of DFhack would see it and chime in with helpful advice.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.
Pages: 1 [2]