Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is anyone planning to mirror DF2010 on release?  (Read 3594 times)

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is anyone planning to mirror DF2010 on release?
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:52:45 am »

I will. If and when I download it, I will put a copy of it at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/734502/DF_2010.zip . It might not be a perfect mirror; dropbox will probably cancel it after a few hundred downloads. but it might help.

I'll probably also post a torrent on thepiratebay.org, assuming nobody else does it before me.

I anticipate server overload; are my fears overblown?

Anyone else planning to mirror?

edit: in case anyone cares, mirror now active.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:59:24 pm by riffraffselbow »
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone planning to mirror DF2010 on release?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:21:07 am »

Of course there will be a server overload, have you seen how many times the FotF thread has been viewed? Any responsible player should upload to a torrent site if they manage to get a copy then SEED LIKE A GOD.
I know I will.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:44:59 am »

then, it could be wise rename this thread to "DF2010 download mirrors" so we can post here where we seed that
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:57:04 am »

Megaupload,Rapidshare,Mediafire,Yousendit,4share,Dropbox,Hotfile,Filefront,QXShare,Sendspace...

They should all get at least one mirror.
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:44:51 am »

Megaupload,Rapidshare,Mediafire,Yousendit,4share,Dropbox,Hotfile,Filefront,QXShare,Sendspace...

They should all get at least one mirror.

I'll rapidshare ittt.

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 06:50:07 am »

Are you sure it is a good idea? If the server is enough to handle the DF2010 release, maybe Toady would be more interested in having accurate download stats rather than mirrors all over the place?
(just a thought, i really have no idea whatsoever...)

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 07:17:35 am »

Are you sure it is a good idea? If the server is enough to handle the DF2010 release, maybe Toady would be more interested in having accurate download stats rather than mirrors all over the place?
(just a thought, i really have no idea whatsoever...)
Well, is it enough to handle it? What preceding release of such hype has it handled before?Has it been upgraded since? I think mirrors are for the better,just to be safe. I also think availability is preferred to download stats.
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 07:18:32 am »

I assume this is referring to additional mirrors beyond those which Toady lists for every major DF release, as you can see on the DF download page? I see he only has one additional mirror up for the current release, but he's had more mirrors listed in the past and I'm sure he will for the upcoming release.

The only potential problem I really see is that his hosting plan might get too bogged down with traffic for you to get to the download page to find a mirror. Of course, in that case, I expect the Wiki might also list the mirrors, or another copy of it will probably be uploaded to the DFFD site pretty quickly for that matter.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:20 am »

Anyone who can/will make a torrent towards this.  Be sure to put a link on the wiki (hell put it on the main page if you want to make sure it's seen) and us wiki editors will get it on a page that explains everything people need to d/l it that way.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:08:15 am »

Once the torrent is up, (or, if I create the torrent :P) I'll set up my home line as a continuous seed, as well as a limited-bandwidth seed (so the wiki doesn't die) on the wiki servers.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 08:59:17 am »

Once the torrent is up, (or, if I create the torrent :P) I'll set up my home line as a continuous seed, as well as a limited-bandwidth seed (so the wiki doesn't die) on the wiki servers.

I wouldn't suggest using the Wiki server for this. As soon as the release is out, an enormous number of people will storm the Wiki to edit it for the changes introduced in 2010.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:14:47 am »

When I say wiki servers, I mean the servers that will not be affected by the storm of users.  For example, the database server is off limits to any programs but the database; however, the memcached server has plenty of availability for disk io ops and a 100mbps pipe that's essentially unused.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 10:09:51 am »

If you do create a torrent, you could just post a magnet uri in this thread, along with the other mirrors.

Also, why use PirateBay (which is blocked/throttled for a lot of people) - use a DHT trackerless torrent with peer exchange and then people won't get their speeds curtailed by the tracker either.

Naturally, if no-one else does it, I'll do the above, and I'll seed the file until the next version comes out.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 10:13:35 am »

Don't worry, I won't be using piratebay as a tracker.  I'm currently checking to see if a tracker I have implemented on another server can be opened safely for this purpose.  If all else fails, I'll just fallback to DHT PEX.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 12:36:16 pm »

New plan for getting it without downloading it from here: half of us go to Toady's house with USB drives and put it on there. Then he can count us and people that don't live close can still get it.
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.
Pages: [1] 2 3