Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is anyone planning to mirror DF2010 on release?  (Read 3588 times)

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone planning to mirror DF2010 on release?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 02:57:31 pm »

I offered my server to Toady as a mirror, so there will be at least one extra mirror. Im sure other people have also done the same.

However, if Toady were tempted to, for the first few hours only link to a torrent that he made and uploaded somewhere id fully support that. In fact, a bay12 tracker might not be a bad idea.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 03:27:28 pm »

If I get on in time to see the main page get updated while I browse it, I'll host it on evilshare post the link on the forums.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 03:37:16 pm »

I plan to set up a torrent seed, though it looks like I won't need to make the actual torrent.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 04:19:37 pm »

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 06:08:47 pm »

If I get on in time to see the main page get updated while I browse it, I'll host it on evilshare post the link on the forums.
Rapidshare is as good as worthless, unless you have a premium account; 10 downloads is no fun for anyone.

Use something like Mediafire (virtually no restrictions, no arduous CAPTCHAs) or whatever to do it.

By the way, I just said The Pirate Bay because it's the largest tracker out there and it's the one I know and love. Wasn't aware a significant number of people have problems with it. That said, I'm a newb when it comes to starting torrents, so I'll let the people with experience (and unused 100mbps lines) handle it.

edit: @Ren forgot about that, that's right. So it could be linked to from TPB with no problems, anyway!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:37:09 pm by riffraffselbow »
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

iten

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 06:14:05 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think The Pirate Bay even runs a tracker anymore. I think their torrents just use DHT, or sometimes open trackers.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 12:17:38 am »

I could put it on my box.net profile. As far as I know there isnt any restrictions and its also fairly fast.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:41 am »

Megaupload,Rapidshare,Mediafire,Yousendit,4share,Dropbox,Hotfile,Filefront,QXShare,Sendspace...

They should all get at least one mirror.
if you toss it on sharebee, it'll cover about half of those.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 11:28:03 am »

The biggest problem may be communicating the location of the mirrors; if bay12games goes down, what is the forum then?

Everyone should have a dwarf fortress thread in another forum as a backup location.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 12:23:46 pm »

Once the torrent is up, (or, if I create the torrent :P) I'll set up my home line as a continuous seed, as well as a limited-bandwidth seed (so the wiki doesn't die) on the wiki servers.

What I meant was put a hotlink to the torrent on the wiki, so people can know how to easily find it.

The biggest problem may be communicating the location of the mirrors; if bay12games goes down, what is the forum then?

Everyone should have a dwarf fortress thread in another forum as a backup location.

The wiki servers are separate.  and since the game won't actually be downloaded from there, I find it unlikely it'll have any problems.

I assume that toady though has something set up where downloads of the game, no matter how high, won't break the forums.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:26:43 pm by Mason11987 »

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 01:33:15 pm »

I'm ready to mirror, but the question is: Should we?

I hope Toady addresses the point.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 05:06:53 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think The Pirate Bay even runs a tracker anymore. I think their torrents just use DHT, or sometimes open trackers.
you are correct.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 06:22:45 pm »

Might as well post to the Facebook page as well.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

StrongAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 06:58:51 pm »

How are y'all planning to handle the rapid patching?  Can you ensure your torrents/mirrors stay up to date?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 08:24:11 pm »

How are y'all planning to handle the rapid patching?  Can you ensure your torrents/mirrors stay up to date?
Here be a problem. Can you update a torrent without making a new one?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 [2] 3