Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uncharted waters 2 and DF  (Read 382 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Uncharted waters 2 and DF
« on: July 13, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »

Here was a brainstorm i had last night while thinking about adventure mode. (yes some of us do! quite a few i would imagine).

Anyway in uncharted waters 2 you could pick an adventurer and the y each had a slightly diffferent spin.
My idea is for different skills available in adventure mode, careers if you will.  A guild may pay you for mapping out certain areas or for finding a lost artifact or treasure for them. Also you would gain a reputation. Maybe a little more diverse than the standard good vs. evil or rep points.  Kinda fablish i guess but what do you think?

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uncharted waters 2 and DF
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

In Fable you have only thing that has a real effect on the game: fame/infamy and all that kind of thing. You are either good and thus everyone loves you, evil and so everyone fears you or neutral and no one cares about you.

I vaguely remember there being a fame rating.

In Fallout however you could be totally good, stacked up to here *points with a 10 ft barge pole* with good Karma (I.E You have done good deeds and word has gotten around) and yet be totally hated in one town because each town has its own independent "I do/dont like you" rating.

In Age of Wonders (TBS) you had a relationship number with members of other species that went up or down depending on your alignment and what you did to them. If you burn their towns and kill their people they naturally would not like you. If you were evil and they were pure good then they would hate you from the word "Go".

In The Elder Scrolls (I.E Morrowind, Oblivion) if you joined a faction your faction members would like you more while faction enemies would dislike you more.

In Dink Smallwood an old woman implies that she burnt your house with your mother inside because you killed her pet duck.

I reckon that all of these systems (With the possible exception of Fable because we don't want our people growing horns/halos) would be pretty good when mixed together. It covers cause-and-effect ("I'll never join you. You killed my father!"), Racial tension ("Oh great. Hippies" vs "Oh great, midgets") and keeping the whole heroic fame thing under control. (I.E You don't kill a minotaur for a small mountain village that no one has heard of and then become a hero everywhere you go. You might also be able to massacre an entire village and kind of get away with it.)

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:52:00 pm »

Having things like different relations with different races/civilisations would also be good when armies are implemented. For example, you might be seen as a mighty hero by both an elf civ and a human civ and as a result the people of both civ's would love you. However, if they then went to war, you would have to choose a side. Say you chose to help the humans in this war, then the elves and humans might still both see you as being very powerful, but while the humans would continue to love you, the elves would hate you.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

Or maybe you could use your influence with both people to stop the war all together? Anything will be possible in DF one day.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »

Well I think at the start you were sort of getting at having different professions than "mercenary" or "ultimate fighting champion", I'd be cool with that.

Maybe one day you could start in adventure mode, recruit some crafty dwarves, gather all your provisions, and go start a mountain fortress, without having it start automatically like we do now.

It would be good to have a rep with each civilization, maybe integrate it with the "Legends" system.