Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Filling Bottomless Pit With Magma  (Read 2753 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Filling Bottomless Pit With Magma
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:37:21 pm »

Seeking input from players who have experience with using the bottomless pit as a magma reservoir. I'm playing on a map with a magma pipe and a bottomless pit, and I want to create a screw pump tower between the two that will create three multi-z level magma stores.

My main question revolves around the bottom of the pit. I think I remember someone talking about smoothing the pit's lower tiles to create a surface that will support magma. Does this need to be done using constructions, or can it be accomplished a different way? I'd rather not use constructions for this job if I can avoid it. Casting the magma is an option, since I have a river nearby, but that's gonna be a lot of effort.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Filling Bottomless Pit With Magma
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:51:16 pm »

From my experimentation with using bottomless pits as reservoirs you will have to build constructions across the bottom.  You cant really cast magma down there, as you have to have it puddled on the bottom, and it cant do that if it keeps falling into the chasm tiles now can it?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:53:33 pm »

Unless I build an iron bridge on the bottom level, pour magma onto that, then cast it.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 09:57:38 pm »

What happens to constructed floors when you cast on top of them? I've always assumed they're obliterated in the process. If that's the case, and not constructing is an aesthetic option, you can indeed cast a concrete floor across the pit, it'll just take an extra step.

[edit]
Ah, you beat me to it. Are bridges obliterated in the process as well?
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:01:20 pm »

If you're using bridges, it'll work as long as you pour the water in from the side - if you drop it in the middle, it'll cause an instant cave-in and destroy the bridges.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 10:11:34 pm »

I'm also interested in the results of casting on top of constructed floors. If I mine out the obsidian, will that reveal the object used to create the construction, or will that item be removed from the game, or will it remain in my stocks screen as a ghost item?

Also, regarding the bridge scenario, will a cave-in occur if the cast obsidian is connected to a wall when it's created?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 10:12:46 pm »

If you're using bridges, it'll work as long as you pour the water in from the side - if you drop it in the middle, it'll cause an instant cave-in and destroy the bridges.

That's if you're pouring the water as the second step, after the magma is in place, right? Otherwise, this is something new to me, and blows my mind.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 10:37:34 pm »

I'm also interested in the results of casting on top of constructed floors. If I mine out the obsidian, will that reveal the object used to create the construction, or will that item be removed from the game, or will it remain in my stocks screen as a ghost item?

Also, regarding the bridge scenario, will a cave-in occur if the cast obsidian is connected to a wall when it's created?

From my experience, the floor materials will probably become "hidden" - in order to retrieve them, you might be able to channel out the obsidian floor and have them show up, or you might simply have to construct more floors on top and then deconstruct them (yielding 2 stones per tile).

If the obsidian is connected to a wall when it's created, it should not cave-in.

That's if you're pouring the water as the second step, after the magma is in place, right? Otherwise, this is something new to me, and blows my mind.

In order to make obsidian, you have to mix water and magma together, so the bridge has to be already covered with water or magma beforehand. If you cover it with magma, then you pour water on it from the side; if you cover it with water to begin with, then you pour magma on it from the side.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 12:01:37 am »

If you construct floors on the bottom z level then cast obsidian over them, the constructed floors are replaced with natural obsidian floors that can't be deconstructed or channeled away(no channeling on bottom z level) or even destroyed by collapsing stuff on them. The ghost items will remain in your inventory even though you can't see them or get to them.  It pretty much kills the pit tiles. 
I never tried using magma-proof bridges, though, so IDK with that.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:42:43 am »

Why would you ever want to destroy a perfectly good bottomless pit?!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 09:00:43 am »

Because we can.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:01:20 am »

That's what I wanted to know.

Then I read the topic and now I want to know why everybody's so carried away with the obsidian casting. You can build a perfectly normal floor down there and it'll hold the magma just fine. If you want natural flooring, dig your own pit rather than ruining a perfectly good natural feature.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 11:19:30 am »

maybe it's the drain for a underground river or something and he wants some of the cave creatures to survive

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 03:23:49 pm »

Nah. The way he's describing it, he wants to use the pit as an extra magma reservoir. That would require either damming up the river (which would save said creatures anyway) or filling the entire cavern with magma (which would encase them all in obsidian).
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 04:12:09 pm »

It is possible to magma cast at level 1 above the bottomless pit tiles, without leaving constructions behind.  You just need to floor over the very bottom with magmaproof bridges, fill it with 2 z-levels of magma, then pour in water on the top layer ensuring no cave ins (which can be hard to do, without buckets or constructed guide paths or turning cave ins off, doh).  After that, just open the bridges to let out the remaining magma and go down to deconstruct them.

I can think of one good reason to use a pit as a second reservoir, you don't have to wait a year or two for it to be dug out. 
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: [1] 2