Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Filling Bottomless Pit With Magma  (Read 2756 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Filling Bottomless Pit With Magma
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 05:15:32 pm »

Yeah, the main reason is "because I can." Also, filling the pit will get rid of the annoying undead infesting it. I've decided to go with the construct, cast, reconstruct, deconstruct method. Seems the simplest way to go about it.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 07:11:13 pm »

To the doubters, how better to incorporate a drain into your magma cistern, than by building it over a natural drainage feature?

The nice thing about starting one level up, and using the double magma layer approach, is you won't need to deal with hidden constructions (if you're anal picky, and face it, many of us are), and you still have the bottom layer as useful as ever. If you cast on the bottom layer, you'll have to arrange an outlet ahead of time to get around the no-channelling rule.

these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 07:13:39 pm »

Here's a challenge for you: Use a pressurized watercannon and magmafall to obsidian-cast the bottom level without using supporting constructions.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 07:44:02 pm »

The nice thing about starting one level up, and using the double magma layer approach, is you won't need to deal with hidden constructions (if you're anal picky, and face it, many of us are), and you still have the bottom layer as useful as ever. If you cast on the bottom layer, you'll have to arrange an outlet ahead of time to get around the no-channelling rule.

Right, it's a good idea to save the last Z=level of a chasm/bottomless pit for it's natural properties, you'll need it someday, and getting the magma out again is very difficult, for example, where are you going to move it?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 07:47:53 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:11:41 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 10:51:53 pm »

The main reason I didn't want constructions is that they become unremovable once the obsidian is cast. However the fix was posted earlier that you can reconstruct a floor over the cast area and deconstruct it to yield back the stone used in the first construction.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 06:34:48 pm »

What's with all the need for casting? Just build a constructed floor. It's not like you're going to avoid the designating process by building bridges, unless I'm missing something crucial.
I can't speak for the OP, but for me it's aesthetics.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!
Pages: 1 [2]