Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DF2010 is a TRAP!  (Read 4951 times)

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 is a TRAP!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 11:14:53 pm »

The prank will be the forums go down from bandwidth load and the bug reporting forums explode....

Seriously, the "about" makes for such a nasty temptation though, worst case I would say he does a fake release and then a real release the next day or two.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 11:45:15 pm »

If it's ready for release on the 31st of March or the 1st of April, Toady should delay it until the 2nd. The news of the release will be spammed all over internet forums and news aggregation sites like Reddit and Digg, given the long wait since the last release, some people will naturally treat it like an April Fools joke.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 12:50:29 am »

Hi!

Actually the release on April 1st would be a good choice as some people may be reluctant to believe in it, and thus not download it immediately.

Anyhow, I just started a last fortress in the old version, and guess what, 2 couples of lovers in the first spring already! If things keep on going as smoothly, I am sure that the next version will be out very soon, simply to put a premature end to my fortunate fortress :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

TiagoTiago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 12:57:58 am »

the intro for the first few hours should be switched to an ASCIIfied rickroll
---
Notification emails don't always reach me, please let me know if you think it has happened (like if i don't reply a thread i'm expected to reply for more than a week)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 01:22:00 am »

the intro for the first few hours should be switched to an ASCIIfied rickroll

DEAR GOD THIS.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 01:27:25 am »

Or just "accidentally" have all the dwarves be size 2 and all creatures size 12?

Or rename things like "booze" to "juice"? the distillery as "juicer"?

Switch the hard-coded roles of magma and water? (murky pools filled with lava! fire falling from the sky!)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 03:46:33 am »

i really doubt that, i think toady wouldn't play such a prank on his fanbase after more than a year of waiting for the new release, many of us would be seriously pissed
Personally, I would find it rather entertaining and predictable. I wouldn't mind too much.
Unless he really didn't have it finished. Then I would go to his home and do things to him. And his butthole.

We should be thankful to Toady no matter the status of the game.  He's been nothing but nice and hardworking and has every right in the world to delay the game's release.  :P

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 04:46:04 am »

I hope this prank isn't some rick roll toady can't pull something the internet claim OLD MEME a year ago when they prank that thanksgiving parade. shoot I guess it's going to be a koblod cave renamed dwarf fortress.
ASCII Roll? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDJgpKvpCZQ

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 05:03:09 am »

It would be much more funny if he uploads it then goes 2 hours later after constant spams on the forums he says "oops" wrong version this was 40d.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 05:06:37 am »

I KNOW of a great prank to play on april fools if the release is ready then, but it's not very likely to be finished by then. If it is, making and releasing a slight retool to the VERY FIRST DF VERSION RELEASED, so that it has the extra menu items and has a different version number would be very, very cruel, and very fun if the real release happened in a few hours.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 07:33:24 am »

The real prank is that he is going to delete all his programing and start the year and a half long process over again!  >:D

Or he gets busted for moonshine possession by the police and the new version won't be released until he gets out of jail 30 years from now (He probably has enough to get at least that long).

*Prepares to be eviscerated and exiled from the forum for saying such blasphemous things*
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:35:33 am by Umi »

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 08:01:26 am »

I think the only thing to do would be an "APRIL FOOL'S" splash page upon running the exe, with "press spacebar" in fine print underneath. Pressing spacebar takes you to the titlescreen of the new version. That's about the only way to go about it that would avert all raeg.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 08:23:12 am »

He doesn't have to do anything to prank us.  He just has to release the buggy version, as he said he would, on the 1st.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 09:01:04 am »

Take down the forum and pretend that it was due to the new release and people reporting bugs.
Only to release it later when the forum comes back on.
How many people actually read the homepage, anyway?

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 09:08:29 am »

Toady's prank is releasing it on April 1st. We're all in doubt, wondering what he is planning. We're like Elves, seeing every chopped tree as a threat now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4