Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Depot Drowning Drainage  (Read 2397 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Depot Drowning Drainage
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 06:21:28 pm »

This has been great. I think i know what I will do.
I'll have grates on this level behind either lever doors or some more floodgates. On the level below them, hatches. On the level below that, a large empty space that should allow the water to reach 1/7.

Would that work? Did one of you suggest that? I don't know!

GOSHGUYS: Yeah lots of that red 'new reply/s' thing.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 06:26:56 pm »

If you have doors, the hatches aren't required. Otherwise, sounds good. Make sure that your drainage area is about 15X15, or just 175 tiles of floor, for optimum drainage, though you could technically get away with 88 tiles.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 06:27:58 pm »

Yes, you can use a door linked to a lever on repeat, and it will crush water or magma extremely efficiently.

You need the door and mechanism to be magma safe if its in magma of course.

I use doors linked up like this as my emergency drain for my sewers, so I can empty them out and work in them if need be.

Also using hatches is just fine, so long as you also have grates.

Make it like this, side view:

Code: [Select]
X_.....X   hatch and trade depot
XgXXXXXX  grate to catch anything that gets washed down
XdXXXXXX  door linked to lever on repeat to destroy water/magma

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 06:32:51 pm »

Actually, I'll revise my evap chamber size calculations; 1/7 will stay in the depot, plus 1/7 in each of the door spaces, so that's 51 less tiles you need for the evap chamber. A 12X12 should suffice, or for smallest possible space, 8X8.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 06:33:47 pm »

and the evaporation at 2/7 water thing. That's false. It's 1/7 or bust, but if you have a mix of 1/7 and 2/7, the 1/7s will sometimes evaporate anyway.

Ah, okay. Water spread is an odd thing in-game.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 06:38:26 pm »

Just carve fortifications in the side of the map and drain it away, or you can use a door to squish the water. Takes up far less space, so your drainage system will be much more compact.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 06:41:35 pm »

I'm excited.

Alright so...

X_.....X   hatch and trade depot
XgXXXXXX  grate to catch anything that gets washed down
XdXXXXXX  door linked to lever on repeat to destroy water/magma

Dig an extra tile out on both sides and...I'm just going to designate up, down, and up/down stairs, so lever activated hatch, normal grate, and atom smashy door?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 06:49:48 pm »

Yes, you will need a stairway to access that, but you can have doors off to the side that is not normally accessible from the depot.

You could also just switch them around. Put the grate on top and then the hatch below.

So:

Grate
Hatch
Door

In order from top to bottom. This would prevent anything from being washed down through the grate to the Z level below.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 06:59:04 pm »

Is it ok if the room with the door is two tiles wide?
That is, staircase-next-to-door.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 07:05:16 pm »

Shouldn't matter.

You can just make the grates be as part of the floor for your depot drowning room. Hatches or bridges on the Z level below the grates, and then below that will be the doors to crush the water.

Or you could even do away with the hatches completely.

XXXXXXXXX
X.......X
X.DDDDD.X
X.DDDDD.X
X.DDDDD.X
X.DDDDD.X
X.DDDDD.X
XGGGGGGGX
XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XdddddddX
X.......X
XXXXXXXXX

First level is your depot room and [G]rates.

Second level is an empty space with some [d]oors linked to a lever to get rid of the water/magma.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 07:42:33 pm »

I've already dug the drain, placed the doors, and linked them. Now all I need to do is place the hatches and grates.

Thanks for the ideas.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 07:45:17 pm »

Dig a really, really big chamber underneath the depot.
Dig a deep hole from the depot room into it.
Put a retracting bridge over the hole.
Fill depot, drown traders, open bridge, remove traders/clothing from the resulting 1/7 water.

My system is currently that, but substituting the big hole for a bottomless pit. I don't lose anything down the pit because the drainage from the depot comes out directly over the meeting area built out over the pit, which is surrounded by fortifications and floored mostly with grates.
Drowning elves gives my dwarves happy thoughts.
I also have a bypass for the drowner, that just opens the brook straight into the bottomless pit through the same drainage. It puts a serious brake on the drowner pumps, but it's a constant waterfall through the meeting area. It's an emergency tantrum spiral prevention system, in the hope that the happy waterfall thoughts stop things going too far over the edge.

Why?
Because I bloody well can.

Of course, my prior system used magic drainage. The pumps drew water through grates, and were fed through a tunnel from the brook.
It turned out to be NOT so magic. The indoor well flooded every time the drowner was emptied, because it was downstream and the wells were on the same level as the brook's water. Pressure caused them to fountain.
It took me 10 years in the fort and a forum thread to figure out the connection.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:48:13 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 08:00:29 pm »

For draining my depot I use raising bridges on the z level below.  I do this so that I can have 1 lever operate everything.

I started writing up a description of the whole thing, but I decided instead to take some screenshots.

Here is the level above the depot, it is the bottom level of a pressurized cistern filled from a dammed brook, the large gate is so I can drain the cistern if needed.  in the middle is a 3x3 retracting bridge.

Here is the depot level, the grates are to catch all the stuff which gets washed around when the depot drains.  The entrance is closed by the 3x1 raising bridge.

And here is the lower level, the 7 1x1 raising bridges raise to block the grated openings in the depot chamber.  Again, all of these bridges are linked to the 1 lever outside the entrance to the depot.

The basic of the setup is that when the lever is pulled, the bridge in the entrance and the 7 below all raise, blocking their respective holes, and the 3x3 at the bottom of the cistern opens.  The depot fills in seconds.  Then you wait till evertything is deceased and pull the lever again the 3x3 retracting bridge re-appears blocking the cistern, and the raising bridges all lower allowing the water to flow into the level below and then off the map via the fortifications.  The depot is down to all 1/1 water in just a few more seconds.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 08:07:39 pm »

I've already dug the drain, placed the doors, and linked them. Now all I need to do is place the hatches and grates.

Thanks for the ideas.

In that 2 level design right above your post there's no need for hatches.

Only grates and doors.

You really only need 1 door and 2 grates.

1 grate for the drain, 1 door to crush the water, and 1 grate for above for the pump to keep anyone from swimming and escaping.

More grates and doors is of course needlessly complex and thus, more dwarven.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 08:18:16 pm »

^(Skorpion)
That is wonderfully ostentatious and  on the level of what I want to do some day. Anything that's majestic, pointless, and can be explained with "Because I CAN." wins in my book.

gtmattz: That is wonderful and I commend you for it. Seriously, that is cool.

Hyndis: It was already dug out at the time, so I just..Yeah. :) It works though, just tested it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3