Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Medical procedures as "Uniforms"  (Read 1940 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Medical procedures as "Uniforms"
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:56:31 pm »

Greetings from the Lower Forum.

May i ask that it be possible (If not already) for a later version to be able to have a medical procedure be designated as part of a "Uniform".

The next version includes Uniforms, and i was hoping for it to be possible to have dwarfs have some form of procedure done, be it a peircing, amputation of a finger or some suchlike thing.

It'd be quite a nice flavourful addition, having dwarves with a finger missing as a sign of military service or something.

It sounds a little grotesque, but it's something to be considered.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Medical procedures as "Uniforms"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:59:54 pm »

I wouldn't go as far as amputating fingers and the like just for the uniformity of your soldiers. On the other hand, some people might want to have the arms and teeth of their fortress/royal guard/hammerers removed to minimize the nobles' influence.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:23:17 pm »

I don't see why.

There have been a few societies that practiced such things.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 05:26:16 pm »

A citation might be useful here.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:38:56 pm »

I wouldn't go as far as amputating fingers and the like just for the uniformity of your soldiers.

Like if one soldier in a squad loses a finger, you cut the finger off all of the other dwarves just so they match?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:02 pm »

Not precisely what the OP was talking about, but I believe there have been ritually castrated soldiers.  I though Janissaries were an example (though apparently that's incorrect as they had children).  But there are, at the very least, examples in fiction.

As for ritual mutilation, while I've never heard of cutting off fingers, I do think that scarification has a history (see, e.g., the Maori), though I'm not sure if it's connected to military service.

A modern analog would be military tattoos.

I think that if body modification ever goes in, then I could see something like this being connected to military service (getting a tattoo - or even a finger cut off - based on what squad you're in, for example).

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »

I don't think ritualistic mutilation counts as medical.

But such rituals, based in a civ's culture, should have presence.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 11:43:12 pm »

A citation might be useful here.

Well, Tattoos as a medical procedure should be fairly common without needing citation.

Things like chopping off fingers, however, I often read about happening in the Yakuza (Japanese Mafia), where, in order to pay penance for a failing/prove loyalty, they have to chop off their fingers.

I also remember watching one particularly gruesome episode of "Taboo" on Discovery Channel, where some isolated tribes who worship alligators as warrior ancestors wil ritualistically cut the flesh of a young male hundreds of times in order to force the growth of scars that resemble the skin of an alligator, so that the strength of the alligators will fill their warriors... It was not a pretty sight.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 02:39:35 am »

I also remember watching one particularly gruesome episode of "Taboo" on Discovery Channel, where some isolated tribes who worship alligators as warrior ancestors wil ritualistically cut the flesh of a young male hundreds of times in order to force the growth of scars that resemble the skin of an alligator, so that the strength of the alligators will fill their warriors... It was not a pretty sight.

Saw that. This thread takes me back to my medical anthro class....the things I saw there....ye gads. FGM (and no I will not provide a link) is relevant to this topic, but I don't think DF ever, ever needs to go there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 02:53:56 am »

Circumcision is a bizarre practice that is still performed in the United States, and is both a medical procedure and a sign of membership.

Quote from: David L. Gollaher http://www.cirp.org/library/history/gollaher/ (1890)
Quote from: J. Henry C. Simes, "Circumcision" (1890), p. 375
The mutilation of the genitals among the various savage tribes of the world presents a strange and unaccountable practice of human ideas, which one is not able to reconcile with any reasoning power. Why such customs should be in vogue none can tell at the present time; but we must suppose that at some period they had their significance, which in the course of ages has been lost, and the practice has been handed down from generation to generation.

There was also a Chinese emperor who had all his men shave their heads from the ears forward, and make the back into a long braid. It was an unwanted sign of obedience to the emperor, and those without suffered for it. Cutting hair is considered to be so simple a procedure that it does not fall into medical category, but there are some cultures that wear beards and hair from birth -- I wonder what they think of those that cut their hair?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:23:24 am by AngleWyrm »

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 04:17:18 am »

When prosthetic limbs are added I would like to be able to make squads of dwarves with adamantium left arms
Thank you based dwarf.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 04:21:25 am »

When prosthetic limbs are added I would like to be able to make squads of dwarves with adamantium left arms

planning on modding in a second god-metal?

Saw that. This thread takes me back to my medical anthro class....the things I saw there....ye gads. FGM (and no I will not provide a link) is relevant to this topic, but I don't think DF ever, ever needs to go there.

Me too, nenjin. And yeah, if DF ever went there, I would seriously stop playing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:23:27 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 05:13:58 am »

While tattoos and hairstyles are acceptable, ritual mutilation needs to stay out of the game. No one sane would do it and the ones that do wold cut off the hands of the fortress guard just to exploit it. You can't seriously expect the guard to accept having their bits chopped off when rest of your culture doesn't do any of it. Let's not abuse the unquestioning loyalty of our mock-up dwarves.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 05:57:54 am »

While tattoos and hairstyles are acceptable, ritual mutilation needs to stay out of the game. No one sane would do it and the ones that do wold cut off the hands of the fortress guard just to exploit it. You can't seriously expect the guard to accept having their bits chopped off when rest of your culture doesn't do any of it. Let's not abuse the unquestioning loyalty of our mock-up dwarves.

Actually even in modern societies ritual mutilation survives. For example Branding.

Tatoos are often part of mutilation especially when you see how some older societies actually tatooed (A Razor blade was involved)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:44 am »

In my civilization it'd be common practice to decapitate the Hammerer, as a sign of his noble status.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.
Pages: [1] 2 3