Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Entrance design  (Read 16755 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Entrance design
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2015, 06:19:50 pm »

I don't know about 0.40 with the new pulping, but back in 0.34 voidspawn thralls could often make it though three or four traps and come out bleeding and crippled but alive.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2015, 06:23:41 pm »

I don't know about 0.40 with the new pulping, but back in 0.34 voidspawn thralls could often make it though three or four traps and come out bleeding and crippled but alive.

I don't fight many zombies, that might still be true.  As far as goblins, the row of traps doesn't actually kill them because they don't dare enter.  It's more of a deterrent.  I don't know if zombies can be deterred. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 02:17:15 pm »

From outside to inside:

1) Outer courtyard with airlocks (one for trade depot, one for dodge-em trap, one for a sally port). Marksdwarves keep this courtyard under fire.

2) A lever-controlled shutter (a dry drawbridge) covering the doors into the tunnel, counter-sunk to stop Building Destroyers.

3) A set of doors, with a row of traps behind them.

4) A five-tile-wide entrance tunnel, flanked by two-tile-wide ditches to keep invaders back from the fortified crossbow rooms flanking the entrance tunnel. The tunnel makes a 90-degree turn partway in, with another wider ditch plus a stand-off corridor section to allow overlapping Ballistae to be set up in a fortified room that can fire down the length of the entrance tunnel, without the invaders getting close enough to spook the operators. Naturally, the five-tile-wide entrance tunnel can be trapped as desired.

5) Another set of shutters and doors as in 2) and 3) above.
Never pet a burning dog.

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 06:36:54 pm »

Trade entrance: normally open 5-wide bridge (closed for sieges) -> trade depot -> normally closed bridge (1-wide) -> door (lockable) -> inner fort.  Traders arrive, get to depot.  External bridge closed.  Internal door unlocked and bridge dropped, then trade as normal in safety, even if a siege turns up.  Trading complete, everyone in (using an alert if necessary), lock the door, raise the bridge, drop external bridge and let them take as long as they want to take to pack up and head off without it affecting _anything_.  This has only gone wrong when a second bunch of traders have turned up and they get deadlocked in the door.  In one fort I've got multiple trade entrances that lead to the one depot but this is a tedious setup.

Normal entrance (usually several so that stupid migrants don't have to walk right round to get in): normally open bridge -> twisty corridor lined with traps (ideally spike traps operated by lever on repeat so that we get those kobolds) -> something nice on a chain for them to path to -> more traps and twists -> normally raised bridge and locked door.  Siegers turn up, path to the bait and get mangled on the traps.  Those that don't get mangled give up and go home.  External bridge raised, internal bridge dropped, door unlocked, traps and loot get tidied up, bait replaced if necessary, everyone back inside (alert if necessary), door locked, inner bridge raised, external bridge dropped for next time.  If another siege or whatever turns up during cleanup, the whole lot is repeated via another entrance.

Migrants show up: alert on, normal entrance door unlocked and internal bridge dropped, spike lever stopped briefly, migrants in, airlock reset, although this is an opportunity for kobolds to get in, although the bait animal usually spots them.  Alert off.  If kobolds got in then the bait probably needs replacing; external bridge up, cleanup/replace, then reset.

Diplomats also enter via normal entrance with alert on and spikes disabled.

I normally play with fastdwarf on otherwise FPS death just gets me down.  And with a tileset, so ner.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 06:41:20 pm »

My entrance is always a 5x8 bridge, going across a 6 thick moat.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2015, 06:44:47 pm »

Oh, and a useful hint is to build a road from the traders' entrance bridge to the edge of the map.  Tree growth will then stop them turning up at the other side of the map and they'll only approach up the road.  The multiple entrance one was a .31.25 fort where there were no caravans.  Usually I have a wall 5 tiles from the edge right round the map, and if I get too bothered by flyers I'll ceiling that lot off as well (which takes *forever*.  And lots of digging, especially when I'm OCD enough to have the whole lot done in one kind of stone).

All bridges are over pits, as well.  With ramps towards the outside, so any invader who wants to hang around in a pit as a way to get out and go home when he finally gets bored waiting for nothing to happen.

Bearcoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Im not new to the forums i just forgot my Password
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2015, 09:27:17 pm »

i do a Aboveground apartment complex/dinning hall (so i can retire Adventurers there) with a 6 by 6 stairway witha hollow middle
"Click" 3....2....Oops Wrong Lever
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]