Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Entrance design  (Read 16752 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entrance design
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 04:48:49 am »

Ah yes, that's correct. I tend to use brooks and other natural features when selecting my entrance, since I rarely touch the above ground. Just doesn't feel dwarvenly to me, working out in the sun.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 04:05:23 pm »

Lately I've been playing a lot of flat land fortresses so I just dig straight down (4 corner stairs in a 3x3 square). Depot stays on the surface.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 04:09:21 pm »

I tend to carve out a big hole in the side of the mountain, wall it off, build a moat and make a bridge, then put the trade depot up there.

Then I make stairs that lead downward into the actual fort.

A pretty lame foyer, basically. Though it makes it a nice place to carve engravings into.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 04:29:59 pm »

I usually make a four/five tile wide entrance leading down a long narrow path towards a significantly wider opening with the depot in the middle and two sets of double doors leading deeper into my fortress, with a military garrison on the floor above it to take pot shots at any invaders that get that far through fortifications.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 04:51:59 pm »

2x2 stairway straight into the ground.  Once all the basic priorities are established(food, wood storage, barracks, etc..) I wall the entrance in and turn it into a small building then move on to making an outer wall for my farms and depot.  So the entrance sort of moves.  By the time I'm done the entrance looks like the entrance to a fortress.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8018-thecitadelofchaos
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8001-arrowglows

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 05:37:52 pm »

3X3 staircase straight down, followed by defensive aboveground constructions as the fancy takes me.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

healhound

• Bay Watcher
  • serious enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 12:57:59 pm »

If cutting into a mountain: fortifications above ground, ramped 3/5 cell wide path down to the city.
If on the plain: castle-like fort above, staircase straight down.

In both cases, entrance leads to a vast oblong main hall, which doesn't have any practical use except for being a sculpture garden lined with pillars.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 01:04:04 pm »

Wow, 5 years...

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 11:51:36 pm »

Wow, 5 years...

That is my thought, but at its the thought that counts.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 11:52:42 pm »

But, i make a ramp 3 tiles wide to my depot. The tunnel itself wraps around my barracks.

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 08:05:53 am »

I tend to start with the classic Dwarven Ikea package of the 3x3 tunnel with the cage traps and last-ditch Drawbridge (so similar to the first post 5 years ago), then I build a fort around that, then a fort around that... then, if there is still room and I feel particularly paranoid, a huge wall with towers, so basically another fort around that.

...The cage traps never see any use needless to say, unless I get attacked in the first year or so.

Incidentally, what would the Dwarven Ikea be called, and how did I arrive at this tangent?
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 12:05:03 pm »

I either build on river of channel out a brook and then put the depot on a platform above it with my hospital on the second floor an an archer's nest on the third.

There is a bridge beneath the depot guarded by soften-up traps that, once the bridges to the depot seal, is the only way into the fort. The barracks is behind that with two sets of double doors leading to the bridge.

Past the barracks is the keep with walled pastures for animals, above ground farms, and outbuilding clusters for the hemp/ramie/ropereed textile industry, butcher shops, farmer's workshops, mills, and fisheries.

At the rear of the keep is the castle tower, with up stairs going to the fancy rooms for Legendary dwarves of use and a pillbox staircase going down to the storage rooms, underground pastures (in the sand) and then down to the fort proper.

To get to most of my dwarves, an enemy must the archers, then the copper hammer traps, then the military, then my murderous war-rhino training facility, then bust down the castle doors and more copper hammers on every landing meant to let military dwarves catch up to them.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 12:07:56 pm »

Holy necrothread, Batman!

I am surly, because I saw a post by Bryan Derksen and thought he was playing DF again.  :sadpanda:

I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 05:06:17 pm »

Please check the date on threads before bringing them back for something that could just as easily be a new thread. We even have a big red "THIS POST HAS NOT BEEN POSTED IN 120 DAYS" popup before you can post in them. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 05:14:00 pm »

I normally make my entrances on a flat surface a few tiles away from any river (preferably not a brook). I then make a 2x2 Downward Stairway and begin digging underground from there. As time goes on, I build stone walls around my entrance and stone flooring within the walls, and I make sure to make a 3-tile wide moat surrounding my fortress with a drawbridge that becomes the only path from the entrance to the wilderness outside.
My post ends here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4