Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the point of balista bolts?  (Read 1017 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the point of balista bolts?
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:36:58 pm »

I've just recently started using siege engines, I managed to train a pair of Legendary operators (One of which also makes the parts) using the regular, catapult at a wall method. I then set up a pair of balistae pointed down my main coridoor. I then got a chance to test them out when a goblin siege showed up. I had plenty of headless bolts but I started an order of 30 iron arrowheads to do some more damage. The first wave got captured in my cage traps, by then the iron arrow heads were put together, and I started loading only one of the balistae with the iron ones to give me a reference. I started them shooting at the goblins and there was no dicernable difference. Each shot killed one or two goblins, but a dead goblin is still a dead goblin, overkill is my favorite kind of kill, but it seems useless. The only way I can think it would make a difference would be against megabeasts, but even then, an all wood bolt will severly injure the dragon or whatever, and then the bolt that comes down range a couple seconds after is going to take it out, even if the iron (Or even steel) bolt can kill it in one hit, I'd prefer to use the 2 wood as aposed to 1 wood and one iron, and then you're still using 2 wood if the bolt is steal.

Ok so this question post sorta turned into a rant, but are metal arrowheads useless?
I've played a guitar with my penis.

CheaterEater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's the point of balista bolts?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:24:24 am »

For the most part, yeah. They do allow you to plow through more enemies before the bolt breaks, but that's generally not an issue (with a wooden bolt, I've heard it's about six enemies, and I have no idea for tipped bolts).

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:31:47 am »

Would tipping a flying sharp tree trunk with steel make you and the 4 guys behind you even more dead?
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:56:49 am »

With the new version, a wooden ballista bolt will likely not kill a Bronze Collosus. Steel likely will.

No real point in the current version, though.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 02:11:50 am »

They look cool. They're dwarven. What more do you want ????
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:50:23 am »

At this point siege weapons are kind of problematic anyway, as the quality of their components allegedly affects their accuracy and you can't sell the pieces; even if you have him practice with ballista arrows, who has the hundred and fifty-odd logs it takes to get one siege engineer up to a level where he can produce something useful?
Not that I'm entirely convinced that any actual aiming is taking place, seeing as the "Fire at Will" command doesn't mean what I thought it meant when I first built a ballista.

One that pointed out across my wood stockpile. That didn't end well.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:43:30 am »

Your carpenter didn't happen to be named Will, did he?

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 10:56:22 am »

You gotta do something with all that extra iron.  Plus if you do adventure mode and grab a few of them, IIRC they will do extra damage it you throw them.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 11:42:05 am »

Make four bolts from adamantine, and then set up the range to be rimmed with channels and walls so that when they stop you can recover them.  Not really useful, but awesome.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 12:57:06 pm »

Too bad siege ammo can't be decorated.  Decorated with elf skulls and meanacing spikes of carp bone are win++.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »

Siege operators are easy to train, but siege engineers usually aren't. I make one dwarf spam ballista parts until he trains enough and make exceptional parts for all siege machines I plan to build.
As for wooden ballista arrows, from my observations an armored goblin hit by it dies less than 50% of the time, always gets crippled very badly but only sometimes it is insta-kill. And since I prefer to get enough wealth to attract sieges every season, I get as much iron as my smelters can melt, so I have enough to make some iron ballista arrow heads too, thats the dwarven way to do things.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.