Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underwater dwarves?  (Read 2539 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underwater dwarves?
« on: March 28, 2010, 08:41:17 pm »

I'm attempting to temporarily mod dwarves to be able to operate under the sea, so I can have an underwater fortress. However, I can't seem to make them accept jobs that are underwater. I've given them [SWIMS_INNATE] and [NOBREATHE], what else do I need to do to get them to ignore the water? [AMPHIBIOUS]?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Underwater dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:55:05 pm »

You can't.  Not accepting jobs that are underwater is hard-coded into the game.  There's nothing you can do to change that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 08:57:36 pm »

I thought as much.

I wonder what would happen if I modded in a mermaid civ?

I guess I'll just have to get a whole bunch of screw pumps (luckily, I foresaw my need for screwpumps, and use TSearch to give myself 50 steel ones at embark) and create a collumn of air, then have masons build walls around it. There's still the problem of expansion though... maybe use magma...
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 09:07:36 pm »

You can always freeze the water and then work from there. Restore temp once you're done.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:37:51 pm »

How do you freeze it in a non cold biome?
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 10:36:21 pm »

Isn't there a way to edit the init or something that causes water to freeze? I thought I came across something like that on the wiki or something before.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 01:03:48 am »

You can't.  Not accepting jobs that are underwater is hard-coded into the game.  There's nothing you can do to change that.
unless you make make a util that acts like "embark anywhere" but for water.
but no raw change would fix that.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 01:15:33 am »

I wonder what would happen if I modded in a mermaid civ?
|
v

To emphasize: Regardless of race or anything else, no playable character can work underwater. You can force playable creatures with swimming and [UNDERSWIM] into deep water, but they will do absolutely nothing but pathfind their way out, even if there's no path out.

-

Isn't there a way to edit the init or something that causes water to freeze? I thought I came across something like that on the wiki or something before.

If you turn off temperature while everything is frozen, you can stop the unfreezing effect. But no, temperature is hard-coded as well.

-

I believe embark anywhere works with water, or at least it does to my knowledge. Regardless, you'll be stuck with the "won't do anything underwater even without any other option" issue so it doesn't matter.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 06:29:01 am »

But then if I embarked on water and modded in a device to turn stone into magma...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:14:39 am »

I believe embark anywhere works with water, or at least it does to my knowledge. Regardless, you'll be stuck with the "won't do anything underwater even without any other option" issue so it doesn't matter.
I mean how Embark allows you to access areas that the game prevent you.
make a utility that allows you to work under water.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 01:07:09 pm »

But then if I embarked on water and modded in a device to turn stone into magma...

You can't do this. It's impossible to mod the game so you dig out a tile and have it drop a 7/7 block of magma instead of water and you would still have to get your dwarves to dig out these tiles (which they wouldn't) even if it hypothetically was possible. If you could somehow get around that, you would have a marginally shallower ocean, a cast obsidian floor, and a sea of magma beneath. The idea of embarking in water and then creating land seems counter-intuitive, anyhow; you can just embark on an island if you want that.

I mean how Embark allows you to access areas that the game prevent you.
make a utility that allows you to work under water.

No, I understood what you meant. Embark Anywhere (to my knowledge) actually does let you embark underwater; your dwarves simply don't do anything, and if you haven't given them [SWIMS_INNATE] and [UNDERSWIM] they simply drown. So you can embark underwater, it's just kind of redundant to. I don't understand your usage of 'Embark Anywhere but for water' either - The reason EA is used to embark on mountains is that there is air in the mountains. There is no air underwater.

As for 'make a utility that allows you to work underwater,' you simply haven't been reading what I've been writing. I'll elaborate and emphasize.

Dwarves, when underwater, will do one of two things: If there is an exit, they will swim to it (if they can). If there is not an exit, they will just stand there forever until there is. A tile filled with 4/7 or more water is considered inaccessible even if a dwarf or other creature is within it; you cannot select underwater stone to build with, you cannot stockpile underwater objects, you cannot have your dwarves undertake underwater jobs, no matter how close the dwarves are to the job location. Water pathing is hardcoded to be 'if dry land = nearby, get on land;' there is no 'else' clause, dwarves just cannot do anything underwater.

So again I point you to this quote:

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »

You can't do this. It's impossible to mod the game so you dig out a tile and have it drop a 7/7 block of magma instead of water and you would still have to get your dwarves to dig out these tiles (which they wouldn't) even if it hypothetically was possible. If you could somehow get around that, you would have a marginally shallower ocean, a cast obsidian floor, and a sea of magma beneath. The idea of embarking in water and then creating land seems counter-intuitive, anyhow; you can just embark on an island if you want that.

I meant a workshop that would turn stone and fuel into magma. I'd use TSearch to embark with fuel and stone, turn it into magma, and have my own little floating island.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 01:18:03 pm »

Ah, I see. It'd still be impossible - magma is a liquid and therefore can't be 'made' as an object via reactions. You also wouldn't be able to build said workshop because if you were in an all-water map, the dwarves wouldn't have anywhere to build it. If you're looking to obsidian cast, embarking on a oceanside volcano and doing it through pumps would probably work out better.

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 01:27:05 pm »

Actually the problem with starting underwater is not that those things are impossible, because I doubt that some of them are.  The problem is that when you embark in an underwater area, your dwarves are going to be stuck just under the seafloor, as is your wagon and all your stuff.

But that's just what I have heard.  On my end, whenever I tried to start one underwater with embark anywhere, the game always crashed.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 01:31:00 pm »

Actually the problem with starting underwater is not that those things are impossible, because I doubt that some of them are.

No. These things are impossible. Deep water is hardcoded into the game to make anything in it utterly useless until the water reaches 3/7 or below. The idea that forts in water are just a puzzle that hasn't been solved yet is just a propagated myth. I cannot stress this enough.
Pages: [1] 2