Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 73

Author Topic: Netland RTD: Erectin' ADDITIONAL PYLONS  (Read 72676 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Netland RTD: Some stay dry and others feel the pain
« Reply #345 on: April 26, 2010, 03:08:32 am »

Or you could just ask for administrator privileges. Not that hard.

Precisely.  I can't take the easy road.  It would go against the core being of my character to simply be granted privileges to a system.  Such privileges must be earned through rite of rapid fire typing and Hollywood hacking skills.  And weird simulations which are merely a metaphor for hacking but some people take them seriously and think that you actually have to navigate a series of tubes painted black with a blue/green grid in order to gain access to the military's networks, which somehow allows you to control traffic lights...
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 26, 2010, 06:17:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dragnar: 3

You turn your cloak module on, and sure enough you turn invisible. Noone notices... You then decide to try the stasis module. You point it at ExKirby. He can't move. Heh.
You're not sure what the "adv. data int" does besides point a little beam that doesn't seem to do anything where your eyes are pointed.
The new "hidden entity detector" appears to be configurable, being able to find various types of things. You feed some output from the navigational computer into it, and sure enough it points you in the same direction the ship is (supposedly) moving. It seems to work sort of like a Geiger counter, making dinging noises when you get close to what you're trying to find.

Inteuniso: 5+1+1

You decide to do what you do best: Attatch crap to the ship!
Unfortunately, The Void offers a very limited range of things to attatch, so you instead focus on getting more speed from the hyperdrive.
After tinkering with it for a while, you manage to get a little bit more speed from it. It looks like there was a reason the hyperdrive didn't have an extra fan attatched to its turbine, because the Ultravan is now starting to come apart...

Qwerty: 3

Leaving Inteuniso to mess with the ship's drives, you look after the computer systems.
Just then, the ship begins shaking itself apart! You run over to Inteuniso and stick a piece of metal in the Hyperdrive turbine. It snaps the metal in half, but the extra fan comes off. Jamming the hyperdrive like that wasn't without consequences; it takes a while for it to get back up to full speed. ETA goes up by one turn (which means it will be another two turns before you get there).

Frelock: 3

I got root! Information floods onto your screen. After a bit of work figuring how to arrange it properly, you end up with complete medical, enviromental, and tactical information on the Ultravan's passengers. You can also communicate silently via text with any one of them.

Exkirby: 2

WHY CANT I MOOOOOVE

Tehstefan: 5

You toss stuff around because you're bored. The new implant is a lot more powerful, as well as allowing much finer control.

Sensei: 3

You stare at the grid of lights projected in front of the ship. The void right after you launch is a brown-black, like really strong coffee with only a small amount of cream in it. After a bit of travel (after the engines spool up), the color changes to a pure black. Complete, infinite darkness. Many said man was never supposed to enter the void, you can almost see where they're coming from. So empty...

Not completely empty. The scanner picks up the hull of another ship floating around, and you reactively switch the tractor beam on. Moving the scanner grid around, you see that the ship is much larger than the Jefferson, maybe two hundred meters long.

Statuses:

Frelock: Wristwatch, computer terminal, glasses, civilian clothes, pamphlet, a jewel-encrusted egg, a bag which contains a lunch and a clove of garlic, and a bottle of water. In the TI Military Center.

Proficient in modifying, and synthesizing with hacking tools. (+2 to modification and +1 to synthesis at short range)
Advanced in healing (+2, can use on two targets in one turn)
Is going to get a nice hacker cave soon.
Implants:
REMOTE VIEWING 3
SENSOR 3
HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
TACTICAL SCANNER 2
ADV. DATA INT. 2

Inteuniso: Tau armor, elfin sword. In the TI Military Center.
Dabbling swordsmanship.
Dabbling dancing.
Novice Hauler (+1 to carrying stuff around)
Novice Mechanic (+1 to working with vehicles)
Cheif Engineer of the Starship Jefferson (+1 to working with the Ultravan)
Implants:
AIM 5
REMOTE VIEWING 3
TI STD MIL. IMPLANT 5
TI TACTICAL+ 5

Tehstefan: .44 Magnum, Fedora. Location: In the TI Military Center.
Agile (+1 to running and jumping).
Novice driver(+1 to operating vehicles)
Novice telekeinesis-user (+1 to using telekinesis implant)
Captian of the Starship Jefferson (+1 to doing anything with the Jefferson, additional +1 to navigating in particular)
Implants:
TI AIM 5
TI TACTICAL+ 5
TI SENSOR 3
TI FLIGHT 4
TI TELEKINESIS 5
TI REFLEX 3

ExKirby: Red Helmet, Red Army Gear, Combat Knife, .9mm Pistol, StA52 Assault Rifle, Forcer Grapple, beam sword. Meaningless Commander's Badge. In the TI Military Center.
Enhanced enhanced bone structure (+3 to damage avoid)
AUTOMEDICAL 2
AIM 5
FLIGHT 4
REFLEX 3
INTANGIBILITY 5
CLOAK 4
Blessing of Ordo (Relaxed laws of physics, +1 to attacking chaotic beings)

Sensei: Knife, suitcase O' spectacles, electric brass lantern, two lengths of rope, uranium battleaxe (+1 enemy dodge, +1 damage), basic construction equippment. In the TI Military Center.

Implants:
SENSOR 3
FLIGHT 4
HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
REMOTE VIEWING 3
AIM 3
Novice builder: +1 to building stuff
Glowing(-1 to being sneaky, provides light. Not controllable... yet).

Qwertyuiopas: Computer-goggles, scriptgun(loaded with gravity modifier). In the TI Military Center.

Implants:
REMOTE VIEWING 3
HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
Chief Science Officer (+1 to using the Ultravan's sensors and computer systems, as well as generally scienceing)

Dragnar: Built-in laser pistol, mining tools(+1 enhancement). Driving an Ultravan with flight module installed. Location: In the TI Military Center.
Implants:
TI FLIGHT 4
TI HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
TI CLOAK 4
TI ADV. DATA INT. 2
TI ITEM MAGNET 3
TI STASIS 3
Novice flier: +1 to flight with flight implant

Starship Jefferson:
A TOAST Industries Ultravan with:
Flight package (+VTOL enhancement),4 "KICKASS" kinetic weapons, 2 "nano-EAGLEs" on turrets, one pulse rifle on a turret, two "Phasers", two "laser machine guns", one tractor beam, two "Ageis V3s", an "enegy deflector shield", a VSP-grade hyperdrive, a "TI Standard Rangercam+scanner" with a "VSP Rangercam Upgrade", a "TI Advanced Navigation/targeting system", an inertial compensator, an "all in one life-support system", a "super communicator module", a remote enviromental probe (with two nano-EAGLE turrets), a void entry device, an implant installation upgrade, a TOAST construction computer, a healing turret, a TOAST weapons dispenser, and a transporter.
Transforming mecha fighter attatched to bottom of ship.

Text:

Sensei calls everyone over to the screen, and they see a small portion of what appears to be another space ship.
Qwertyuiopas says there's no life readings aboard.

WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #347 on: April 26, 2010, 06:52:32 am »

I'll take a moment to link my computer-goggles to project a full-scale-3d overlay of what the ship sees/senses over where it would see/sense the object. The result should be interesting, since it should allow sight of things, even through the walls, and likely better detail than the regular screens. And it would be portable.
Eh?
Eh!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 26, 2010, 10:06:01 am »

I'll use my hidden entity detector to search for any movement aboard the other ship. Oh, and I free Exkirby...

I recommend hitting this thing with all the firepower we have. Better safe than sorry, and we can always loot the rubble.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #349 on: April 26, 2010, 10:14:01 am »

Retry once freed. I WILL HAVE MY DROID ARMY.

I know I said that about the building, but hey.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 26, 2010, 11:52:42 am »

I'll use my hidden entity detector to search for any movement aboard the other ship. Oh, and I free Exkirby...

That won't do anything. The hidden entity detector detects certain classes of objects, like processors or headcrabs (or func_illusionary, which is what it was originally designed to detect). It's also less powerful than the ship's sensors, which didn't see anything.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 26, 2010, 01:36:50 pm »

I code up a shipboard AI, to be under the control of the captain (with a few backdoors for me).

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 26, 2010, 01:42:52 pm »

And some storage space for me and my army?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 26, 2010, 04:43:26 pm »

That won't do anything. The hidden entity detector detects certain classes of objects, like processors or headcrabs (or func_illusionary, which is what it was originally designed to detect). It's also less powerful than the ship's sensors, which didn't see anything.
Ah, then instead I will use the weapons dispenser to replace my laser pistol with something packing a bit more of a punch, preferably still a laser of some sort though... and I free Exkirby.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2010, 04:51:00 pm »

And some storage space for me and my army?

You and what army?

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 26, 2010, 10:24:09 pm »

Much appreciated there, Frelock.

Now, We have a hostile ship, with no signs of life. I think we should try and board it, but it could be a deathtrap.

Go to the weapon dispenser, get the coolest pistol they have, and proceed to dual wield.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 26, 2010, 10:33:47 pm »

Now, We have a hostile ship, with no signs of life. I think we should try and board it, but it could be a deathtrap.

Where did I say it was hostile? It's a derlict, it isn't hostile or friendly.  It's dead.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 26, 2010, 10:45:42 pm »

Where did I say it was hostile? It's a derlict, it isn't hostile or friendly.  It's dead.
It's a deathtrap. It's always a deathtrap...

Paranoia(justified?!) aside, I say we board(yes, I'm changing my mind). Trap or not, it's practically a guarantee of free loot.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 27, 2010, 01:25:48 am »

Add GET ON THE SHIP WITH MY ARMY to my action.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 27, 2010, 05:49:09 am »

Add GET ON THE SHIP WITH MY ARMY to my action.

You are on the ship. Everyone is on the ship, and the ship is in The Void.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ExKirby: 1

You struggle around in Dragnar's stasis field before he gets bored and goes elsewhere. You bonk your head, and fall unconscious.

Qwertyuiopas: 3

You do so. Interestingly, everyone's implants seem to recognize what's about to happen, and the words
VSP VOIDSIGHT 1 (!!)
appear on everyone's implant screen.

Tehstefan: 3
You grab a phaser.

Frelock: 4

You write a simple artificial intelligence. After a few attempts to name it (Xerxes, Leela, and HAL don't feel like they'll bring luck), you settle on Slick. Sounds nice.
Slick churns around inside the ship's systems for a while, I guess he needs time to check all the installed hardware.

Dragnar: 6

You suggest to the captain that the crew beam over to the ship. He aggrees.
You grab two Nano-EAGLEs from the weapons dispenser. They look sort of like really small shotguns. Everyone installs a "Voidsight 1" and steps into the transporter. Inteuniso sets the coordinates and jumps in.

Inteuniso: 6

You set the coordinates on the transporter and beam over.

Sensei: 5

Statuses:

Frelock: Wristwatch, computer terminal, glasses, civilian clothes, pamphlet, a jewel-encrusted egg, a bag which contains a lunch and a clove of garlic, and a bottle of water. Location: Derlict.

Proficient in modifying, and synthesizing with hacking tools. (+2 to modification and +1 to synthesis at short range)
Advanced in healing (+2, can use on two targets in one turn)
Is going to get a nice hacker cave soon.
Implants:
REMOTE VIEWING 3
SENSOR 3
HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
TACTICAL SCANNER 2
ADV. DATA INT. 2

Inteuniso: Tau armor, elfin sword. Location: Derlict.
Dabbling swordsmanship.
Dabbling dancing.
Novice Hauler (+1 to carrying stuff around)
Cheif Engineer of the Starship Jefferson (+1 to working with the Ultravan)
Implants:
AIM 5
REMOTE VIEWING 3
TI STD MIL. IMPLANT 5
TI TACTICAL+ 5

Tehstefan: .44 Magnum, Fedora. Location: Derlict.
Agile (+1 to running and jumping).
Novice driver(+1 to operating vehicles)
Novice telekeinesis-user (+1 to using telekinesis implant)
Captian of the Starship Jefferson (+1 to doing anything with the Jefferson, additional +1 to navigating in particular)
Implants:
TI AIM 5
TI TACTICAL+ 5
TI SENSOR 3
TI FLIGHT 4
TI TELEKINESIS 5
TI REFLEX 3

ExKirby: Red Helmet, Red Army Gear, Combat Knife, .9mm Pistol, StA52 Assault Rifle, Forcer Grapple, beam sword. Meaningless Commander's Badge. Location: Starship Jefferson
Enhanced enhanced bone structure (+3 to damage avoid)
AUTOMEDICAL 2
AIM 5
FLIGHT 4
REFLEX 3
INTANGIBILITY 5
CLOAK 4
Blessing of Ordo (Relaxed laws of physics, +1 to attacking chaotic beings)
Unconcious

Sensei: Knife, suitcase O' spectacles, electric brass lantern, two lengths of rope, uranium battleaxe (+1 enemy dodge, +1 damage), basic construction equippment. Location: Derlict.

Implants:
SENSOR 3
FLIGHT 4
HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
REMOTE VIEWING 3
AIM 3
Novice builder: +1 to building stuff
Glowing(-1 to being sneaky, provides light. Not controllable... yet).

Qwertyuiopas: Computer-goggles, scriptgun(loaded with gravity modifier). Location: Derlict.

Implants:
REMOTE VIEWING 3
HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
Chief Science Officer (+1 to using the Ultravan's sensors and computer systems, as well as generally scienceing)

Dragnar: Built-in laser pistol, mining tools(+1 enhancement). Driving an Ultravan with flight module installed. Location: Derlict.
Implants:
TI FLIGHT 4
TI HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
TI CLOAK 4
TI ADV. DATA INT. 2
TI ITEM MAGNET 3
TI STASIS 3
Novice flier: +1 to flight with flight implant

Starship Jefferson:
A TOAST Industries Ultravan with:
Flight package (+VTOL enhancement),4 "KICKASS" kinetic weapons, 2 "nano-EAGLEs" on turrets, one pulse rifle on a turret, two "Phasers", two "laser machine guns", one tractor beam, two "Ageis V3s", an "enegy deflector shield", a VSP-grade hyperdrive, a "TI Standard Rangercam+scanner" with a "VSP Rangercam Upgrade", a "TI Advanced Navigation/targeting system", an inertial compensator, an "all in one life-support system", a "super communicator module", a remote enviromental probe (with two nano-EAGLE turrets), a void entry device, an implant installation upgrade, a TOAST construction computer, a healing turret, a TOAST weapons dispenser, and a transporter.
Transforming mecha fighter attatched to bottom of ship.
AI called Slick. Still getting its bearings inside the ship's computers.

Text:

Everyone (except ExKirby) gets into the transporter.
Tehstefan: Mr. Inteuniso, set the coordinates.
Inteuniso: Coordinates locked in!
Tehstefan: Energise!

After an image of a bunny with a drum shows up on the screen for a few seconds, everyone suddenly finds themselves on the derlict ship. Everything is black for a second, then the voidsight implants come on.

Inteuniso finds his way down to the engineering room. After taking a close look at the hyperdrive, he replaces a few snapped plastic tubes and the life support system rumbles back to life. He can't resist taking a few interesting looking devices and beaming them back to the Jefferson.

Sensei begins examining computer records, with Qwertyuiopas's assitance. He finds that the ship encountered a "strange organic being" in the void. It shook the ship hard enough to destroy some of the systems and kill the crew.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:20:40 am by Schilcote »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 73