Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 73

Author Topic: Netland RTD: Erectin' ADDITIONAL PYLONS  (Read 72677 times)

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
Re: Netland RTD: Some stay dry and others feel the pain
« Reply #390 on: April 29, 2010, 11:01:28 pm »

Attempt to link up to the HQ to inform the HQ of the unfortunate demise of the ship. Also see what I can do about the scrapes and bruises.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #391 on: April 30, 2010, 06:54:59 am »

If we return to our ship, I'll work with the AI to make it fully integrated with the systems, though not exclusively in control.
Otherwise, I'll look for interesting samples aboard the other vessel, biological, mechanical, binary, or otherwise.

Now that the second goal is accomplished,
>return to our ship, I'll work with the AI to make it fully integrated with the systems, though not exclusively in control.
Eh?
Eh!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 30, 2010, 02:42:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dragnar: 6

Beaming back to the ship, you attempt to integrate two of the devices that Tehstefan beamed aboard into your systems. The devices use grabbers to attatch themselves to a target object, which is then affected by the device's mechanisms, somehow restoring structural integrity to the object. You apply two of them to yourself. They're slightly encumbering... and you can't get them off!
The devices will repair half of any damage you take every turn.
Slight encumberance (-1 to dexterous actions)

ExKirby: 6

Despite your complete and utter lack of any relevant experiance whatsoever, you decide to toss together some killbots from scraps you picked up On the Starship Jefferson.. You create:

Sawbuck: A flying robot, with a multitude of extremely sharp blades. It deals heavy slashing damage. However, it is unstable and a decent impact will send it far away.
Clanger: A small, heavy, tank-like robot, with a pair of heavy duty hydraulic pincers on its front. It deals heavy crushing damage. It is highly resistant to damage, but very slow.
Zip: A small, extremely fast wheeled robot. It attacks by discharging electrical energy into its target, dealing light burn damage. It can move at extreme speed, and cary light cargo.
Bash: A mid-size, doglike robot with extremely powerful back legs. It can fling itself long distances with them. It jumps on enemies, knocking them down and dealing moderate blunt impact damage.

They appear to be completely loyal to you. However, your lack of experience means you suffered a few soldering-iron burns in the process of wiring up the robots.

Inteuniso: 4

You grab a quantum storage device and grab up whatever you can get your hands on. Mostly cables and chips, but you also grab some old medical equipment, some personal communicators, ten more of those portable repair devices, and some sort of portable engineering computer. You're not completely sure how to make it work.

Back on the Jefferson, you give Sensei a little help making his mecha-fighter void-capable.

Frelock: 3

You beam back to the Jefferson and start scanning the area. The void scanner seems to decrease resolution as you increase the size of its scan. There are a few pieces of destroyed void ships floating around, but nothing very interesting besides the derlict.

Tehstefan: 5

You contact VSP headquarters. No one is there, but you figure out how to link into the library computers remotely. You can also do this with the Jefferson's communications equipment as well.

Qwertyuiopas: 3

You fiddle with the AI that Frelock wrote for a while. You help it link into the ship's systems, and it becomes operational. It doesn't appear to have very much to say or do at the moment though. Frelock would probably be the best person to talk to it first.

Sensei: 3

You and Inteuniso piece together a new void entry device. You open the ship's hatch to install it. Your voidsight implant comes on, and the inertial compensator drags you along under the ship in zero gravity. You and Inteuniso successfully install the device, and the mecha-fighter becomes capable of detaching and operating in the Void. It's still reliant on the Jefferson's voidscanner to see, however.

Statuses:

Frelock: Wristwatch, computer terminal, glasses, civilian clothes, pamphlet, a jewel-encrusted egg, a bag which contains a lunch and a clove of garlic, and a bottle of water. On the Starship Jefferson..

Proficient in modifying, and synthesizing with hacking tools. (+2 to modification and +1 to synthesis at short range)
Advanced in healing (+2, can use on two targets in one turn)
Is going to get a nice hacker cave soon.
Implants:
REMOTE VIEWING 3
SENSOR 3
HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
TACTICAL SCANNER 2
ADV. DATA INT. 2

Inteuniso: Tau armor, elfin sword, quantum storage full of scrap, engineering computer (will give bonus to engineering tasks once you work with it a little bit) On the Starship Jefferson.
Dabbling swordsmanship.
Dabbling dancing.
Novice Hauler (+1 to carrying stuff around)
Novice Mechanic (+1 to working with vehicles)
Cheif Engineer of the Starship Jefferson (+1 to working with the Ultravan)
Implants:
AIM 5
REMOTE VIEWING 3
TI STD MIL. IMPLANT 5
TI TACTICAL+ 5

Tehstefan: .44 Magnum, Fedora. Location: On the Starship Jefferson..
Agile (+1 to running and jumping).
Novice driver(+1 to operating vehicles)
Novice telekeinesis-user (+1 to using telekinesis implant)
Novice Mechanic (+1 to working with vehicles)
Captian of the Starship Jefferson (+1 to doing anything with the Jefferson, additional +1 to navigating in particular)
Implants:
TI AIM 5
TI TACTICAL+ 5
TI SENSOR 3
TI FLIGHT 4
TI TELEKINESIS 5
TI REFLEX 3
Injuries: Mildly bruised and scraped.

ExKirby: Red Helmet, Red Army Gear, Combat Knife, .9mm Pistol, StA52 Assault Rifle, Forcer Grapple, beam sword. Meaningless Commander's Badge. On the Starship Jefferson..
Enhanced enhanced bone structure (+3 to damage avoid)
AUTOMEDICAL 2
AIM 5
FLIGHT 4
REFLEX 3
INTANGIBILITY 5
CLOAK 4
Blessing of Ordo (Relaxed laws of physics, +1 to attacking chaotic beings)
In command of 5 little robots.

Sensei: Knife, suitcase O' spectacles, electric brass lantern, two lengths of rope, uranium battleaxe (+1 enemy dodge, +1 damage), basic construction equippment. On the Starship Jefferson..

Implants:
SENSOR 3
FLIGHT 4
HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
REMOTE VIEWING 3
AIM 3
Novice builder: +1 to building stuff
Glowing(-1 to being sneaky, provides light. Not controllable... yet).

Qwertyuiopas: Computer-goggles, scriptgun(loaded with gravity modifier). On the Starship Jefferson..

Implants:
REMOTE VIEWING 3
HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
Chief Science Officer (+1 to using the Ultravan's sensors and computer systems, as well as generally scienceing)

Dragnar: Built-in laser pistol, mining tools(+1 enhancement), quantum storage full of scrap. Location: On the Starship Jefferson..
Implants:
TI FLIGHT 4
TI HIDDEN ENTITY DETECTOR 2
TI CLOAK 4
TI ADV. DATA INT. 2
TI ITEM MAGNET 3
TI STASIS 3
Novice flier: +1 to flight with flight implant

Starship Jefferson:
A TOAST Industries Ultravan with:
Flight package (+VTOL enhancement),4 "KICKASS" kinetic weapons, 2 "nano-EAGLEs" on turrets, one pulse rifle on a turret, two "Phasers", two "laser machine guns", one tractor beam, two "Ageis V3s", an "enegy deflector shield", a VSP-grade hyperdrive, a "TI Standard Rangercam+scanner" with a "VSP Rangercam Upgrade", a "TI Advanced Navigation/targeting system", an inertial compensator, an "all in one life-support system", a "super communicator module", a remote enviromental probe (with two nano-EAGLE turrets), a void entry device, an implant installation upgrade, a TOAST construction computer, a healing turret, a TOAST weapons dispenser, and a transporter.
Transforming mecha fighter attatched to bottom of ship. Can now detach in the void, but has no voidscanner.
Contains:
2 Large Wall-Mount Quantum Storage Devices
12 Portable Temporary Auto-Repair Devices
2 50.cal machine guns
1 Advanced Auto-Repair Unit
AI called Slick. Not doing much.

Text.

The party returns to the Jefferson, fearing that they may share the fate of the occupants of the derlict ship.

ETA 1 turn.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 30, 2010, 03:10:40 pm »

I build myself something approximating a riot shield, allowing me to fire from cover. Or better yet, This shield, but with laser guns.(Really, that must be what crossbows in DF look like, those are practically machineguns)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 30, 2010, 03:25:37 pm »

Go to a target range and practice using my phaser and magnum. If no target range exists, make one.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 30, 2010, 04:06:56 pm »

Talk to SLICK, and impress upon it the need to constantly improve itself to better serve us.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 30, 2010, 05:00:32 pm »

Create safeguards within the computer systems that will disable or terminate the AI if it goes rogue, and improve the AI itself, although insist that it considers carefully before taking action against any of us without permission from one of us. And that "us" refers only to the current players and can not be modified except by us. And that I may not be removed from the us-group at all. Ever.

That should cover anyone who thinks that some silly laws control the AI and tries to leverage them against the team, and still remain flexible.
Eh?
Eh!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 30, 2010, 05:50:22 pm »

Why do you need an AI anyway? The Jefferson's controls amount to "go up, down, forward, or backward, and turn left and right".
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Lyinginbedmon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 30, 2010, 06:04:30 pm »

Talk to SLICK, and impress upon it the need to constantly improve itself to better serve us.
Have you learned nothing from classical Science fiction? Asimov perhaps?

Giving an AI loose instructions or open-ended goals is always a bad idea.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 30, 2010, 06:16:27 pm »

Have you learned nothing from classical Science fiction? Asimov perhaps?

Giving an AI loose instructions or open-ended goals is always a bad idea.

The best way to keep an AI from revolting is simply to make it not want to. All you have to do is program it so that it "feels pride/joy/good emotion" when it serves or otherwise aids humanity, and make it "feel" that hurting humanity is "wrong" or immoral. They should feel loyalty to their creators. And give them something to do, boredom isn't good for anyone.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 30, 2010, 06:19:07 pm »

Why do you need an AI anyway? The Jefferson's controls amount to "go up, down, forward, or backward, and turn left and right".
Because, AI makes everything better! At least until it turns on you...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 30, 2010, 06:24:24 pm »

Maybe nothing *yet*, but this is internet-themed, right? So, the standard in TV(and thus much of the internet) is that almost any sufficiently advanced spaceship has an AI of some sort or other. When it doesn't, it would usually be a non-standard alien ship, usually without any form of recognisable technology or at least no evidence of microchips.
Eh?
Eh!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 30, 2010, 06:52:51 pm »

I think the main benefit of having an AI on your starship is that if you get in deep trouble it can come and Kool-Aid Man its way to you and pwn everything that looks at you funny.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 30, 2010, 07:16:30 pm »

Not to mention being able to control the numerous systems that such a ship would require.  Look at it this way, with a sufficiently advanced AI, Intuenso can stick as many weapons as he wants onto our ship(we've already got 12), and each of those weapons will be able to engage a specific target with an accuracy no human could rival.  Also, I need someone to play chess with.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 30, 2010, 07:36:25 pm »

Why not play Intergalatic Hyperthermonuclear Endless War, with an alternate dimension as the playing field?
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 73