Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warmth and cold and the magic steamer idea.  (Read 526 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Warmth and cold and the magic steamer idea.
« on: July 12, 2007, 08:39:00 pm »

I would like to see a system more based around temperature. The idea is that heat would behave like water, one point where it gets created and then flows trough the level. A warm room means warmer walls, warm walls can spread the warmth to rooms close by. To much warmth... you die... to cold... you freeze. This combined with the wonderfull idea of a roominvention called a Steamer. It Allowes you to like a channel to pump extreamly hot steam trough passagages between walls in the fortress and trough pipes in the floor. The Steamer would requier either lots of wood and buckets of water or magma and flowing water. Would be nice. But would probably lag as hell. Still i would like the idea to be able to make fires at the enterence of the cave to keep cold out.

Feel free to ignore. I know there have been some temperature issues latly. While i see this idea as possible i imagine there are more important tasks at hand.

Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warmth and cold and the magic steamer idea.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 07:43:00 am »

I don't see the point in suggesting something that you deem your very self impossible to begin with...
Reality is for people who lack imagination

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

I never deemed it impossible. But it would require more CPU power keeping track of the flow of steam , wouldn't work untill temperature issues are fixed and is probably not a idea that would be top of the list important, just nice to have. Would require more planing of the Fortress.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 11:17:00 pm »

Heat and cold and steam already kinda work like this.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 07:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheSpaceMan:
<STRONG>But would probably lag as hell.</STRONG>

And would you play a game that lags like hell? I wouldn't, so we'll never see such a feature. Aka impossible.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 08:54:00 pm »

To expand upon the earlier post, I think that sticking a fire at the mouth of a cave would actually work with the current forms of temperature transference. Of course currently temperature in caves is always at a cool room temperature but the way temperature in DF works, sticking a fire at the mouth of a cave would keep the cave warm in pretty much the exact same way that it does in real life. The fire would probably lag the game a bit but that's what turning temperature off is for (for those who don't have the CPU power or want to put up with this stuff). The steam stuff would work too the way temperature appears to be planned but I think that the magma alone would be enough to heat your dwarves, because I think the steam would cook them (it currently does a bit of damage because the magma heats it up alot). I think this stuff might be going in eventually with or without this suggestion.

[ July 16, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]