Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eli Dupree, Dwarven Physicist has created Keshanúgath, an Adamantine Sphinx!  (Read 4759 times)

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page

On the map is a statue of a sphinx in Adamantine. The artwork relates the the invention of an adamantine generator by Eli Dupree in 2010.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any of the visualizers, or even SL's map compressor, to work. (I'm on linux, by the way.) I could send my save to someone, if they could offer to post views/screenshots/the map to DFMA? Anyway, let's take a look at this item:

> t\rv

This is an Adamantine Sphinx. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality*. It is studded with Ruby, decorated with Dwarven Atom Smashers, and adorned with hanging gear assemblies of Bauxite. It menaces with spikes of Adamantine and a goatee of Charcoal.

Also, it's 25 tiles long, 8 z-levels tall, and can breathe magma!

In the left front claw of this item is an adamantine cage containing an important figure in the local Goblin civilization.

In the chest of this item is an artifact Adamantine sarcophagus, designated to be the final resting place of His Majesty Kadol Idenathel, ruler of The Sword of Meditation.

In the intestines of this item is a perpetual motion power generator that supplies all the power needed to run its systems**.

In each lung of this item is thirteen tiles full of lovely 7/7 lava.

In its brain is an animal-based control system that distributes a regimented ~175 units of lava, then automatically shuts off. It is controlled directly by the player, without any dwarven intervention***.

It is sitting on a circular pedestal of smooth Obsidian and crouching over the entrance to the fortress at Umomònul, "Darkmirror."****

In total, it is made of 886 Adamatine wafers worth of constructions, four ☼Adamantine floor hatches☼, twenty ☼Adamantine doors☼, four ☼Adamantine cages☼, twelve all-☼Adamantine☼ screw pumps, fourteen ☼menacing Adamatine spikes☼, two all-Ruby windows for the eyes, and fifty-seven ☼Bauxite mechanisms☼ made into six pressure plates, eight connections, and forty-three Gear Assmblies (I eschewed axles). There are also nine Adamantine drawbridges on the ground, to clear the magma so that it's possible for traders to approach. If I've got the numbers right, that comes out to a total of 1396 Adamantine used directly in the construction of the Sphinx, but around 2800 used if you count the waste from the non-masterwork items built. The ground-based atom smashers and the Adamantine road on the ground only add up to about 120.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:03:25 pm by EliDupree »

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile

Very nice! I can't wait for a map!
How long did it take to get all the adamantine, and how much did you have to use the infinite generator for? In fact, how long did it take to build?

My sphinx is nothing to this...  :'(
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page

How long did it take to get all the adamantine, and how much did you have to use the infinite generator for? In fact, how long did it take to build?
Well, I only mined and extracted a single tile of raw adamantine :)

As for the time, I'm afraid I don't recall. I think that my fort was founded around 213, and I finished the sphinx in 223. I think I built the first working version of the generator around 219, after maybe a year of research.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile

If you post the save to the DFFD http://dffd.wimbli.com/ I'll see about getting some pics and a map posted ;)

But I've found a flaw in the design  :o - you didn't make your mechanisms out of raw adamantine!  Of course, the generator can't make it directly, but you should have enough adamantine on the map to easily mine out enough raw adamantine to make a few dozen masterpiece mechanisms... :D

I think raw adamantine has a high enough melting point to be magma safe, though I haven't actually checked.

Anyway, I can't wait to see it in action!

*random slightly off topic question*

Can magma flows power waterwheels?
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can magma flows power waterwheels?
Sadly, no.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Technically they can. Show me a magma-safe wood and I'll prove it.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page

If you post the save to the DFFD http://dffd.wimbli.com/ I'll see about getting some pics and a map posted ;)
Alright - Here it is. The current save has an elven caravan just arriving, so feel free to have some fun with them. 8)

But I've found a flaw in the design  :o - you didn't make your mechanisms out of raw adamantine!  Of course, the generator can't make it directly, but you should have enough adamantine on the map to easily mine out enough raw adamantine to make a few dozen masterpiece mechanisms... :D
I thought about it. My personal taste, though, is that it's tacky to build things out of metal ores - and I liked having a *little* more color variety in the thing.

I think raw adamantine has a high enough melting point to be magma safe, though I haven't actually checked.
The wiki, agreeing with you, lists it as the only magma-safe stone other than bauxite.

You mean like those Adamantine Logs that I need in order to construct adamantine ballista and catapult parts?

[counter-nitpick]Technically, you can safely build a wooden water wheel over magma[/counter-nitpick]

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DLing now.  I should be able to have some pics real soon ^.^

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You shouldn't even need magma-safe wood because the waterwheel is considered to be on the z-level above the magma, so it's not actually touching the magma. This isn't 2D.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's the map:  http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-8307-darkmirror-sphinx_fortress

The visualizer images were a bit disappointing - too blocky to really make out much.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page

Yeah. It would be nice if it showed the wall/fortification distinction, too, and the spikes. And the walls should be shinier so that the charcoal stands out like it's supposed to.

The view still looks super dramatic though, sitting there, stately, on the obsidian platform in the middle of the flat desert badlands. You picked a good angle.

Does the visualizer show magma? Can we get a shot of it attacking?

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What are the vertical lines | that you used for the toes?

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page

They're Upright ☼menacing Adamatine spikes☼. Hence why it merits the "Menaces with spikes of Adamantine" description. ;)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

If I remember correctly, mules are immortal, so you could use one of those if you never want to replace the horse.

will this fortress go on to other glories?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page

I chose a horse because the wiki says that horses are also immortal.

This fortress? The sphinx kind of dominates the outdoors, and I've already used up a huge fraction of the underground space - it's only a 3x4 area and there are only about 14 underground z-levels. It will definitely have at least a significant amount more glory, since I haven't opened the HFS yet - I'm fully planning on figuring out how to not merely defeat the denizens, but put them to various practical uses. I'll also use the fort for more testing with various water and magma stuff since I have built a magma cistern with totally super convenient access. But not for a while - this past week has been a vacation week for me in RL, so I had time to play DF for 20 hours a day. Soon I'll be busy, and progress will be much slower and more intermittent.

DF 2010 might change things too.
Pages: [1] 2