Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How to stay entertained in DF  (Read 5548 times)

Begory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to stay entertained in DF
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:22:59 pm »

Firstly please don't take this as me saying Df is boring, in fact I think it might be one of the best games ever made.... ever! But for years now I've tried to get my self into the hacky slashy base building fun but I always seem to end up minimizing it to look up how to trade or acquire wealth and I just end up doing something else. As a side note I have not fully grasped the basics of dwarf fortress yet, as previously stated I do not understand trading and wealth. I've also tried attempting something new, like building a water fall (my first time  ??? little scared that my dwarfs will die). So the community how did you find your self able to play dwarf fortress for such a long time and have it hold your attention? Also if you could give me some hints on how to make it more enjoyable (I'm not ready for mega-projects and the like) please drop a comment. Lastly I would like to thank the spell check for all it's done fore me  ;D

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to stay entertained in DF
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:26:49 pm »

You say you have no grasp of physics?
Good.
Now make me a 20 z-level reverse pyramid with a lavafall on top. It should keep you entertained.

Begory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 02:41:30 pm »

Good.
Now make me a 20 z-level reverse pyramid with a lavafall on top. It should keep you entertained.

Yes I do understand that there is a lot to do in this game, but right now I don't know how to do that stuff and am just trying to learn how to play the basic game and not loose interest, Ie because most of the time it takes a really long time for me to get anything done in my fort. I also get very little immigrants.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 02:46:43 pm »

Good.

Yes I do understand that there is a lot to do in this game, but right now I don't know how to do that stuff and am just trying to learn how to play the basic game and not loose interest, Ie because most of the time it takes a really long time for me to get anything done in my fort. I also get very little immigrants.

Ah, you mean this kind of help. There's a tutorial in the wiki, if you're interested. Used it myself.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 03:15:50 pm »

DF's initial learning curve is more like a learning cliff, essentially the game shoves you off and expects you learn how to fly before you hit the ground.

Once you do grasp what is going on though, you'll wonder why things ever seemed so complicated.  It gets interesting when you start trying to do really crazy stuff with gears, pressure plates, etc.  That's an element I haven't really grasped yet (No dwarfputers for me, yet).
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 03:23:41 pm »

The most important ability to have when playing DF is, I think, the ability to cackle with sadistic glee when something goes wrong.

If you have that, you need not fear making mistakes like drowning a few dwarves the entire fortress when building a waterfall.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 03:28:00 pm »

Here's a step-by-step easy-mode DF. Use it to get the basics down, then slowly make it more "fun" for yourself.

1. Embark with no anvil, and tons upon tons of food and booze instead.
2. Dig some stone.
3. Build a Trade Depot.
4. Next to the Trade Depot, build a Finished Goods stockpile.
5. Build a carpenter's workshop, build some bins.
6. Build some craftdwarf workshops, set them on rock mugs on repeat. (q to select, a -> g -> y -> r).
7. You'll have enough mugs to buy entire caravans, forever.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 03:30:34 pm »

What he means is that you should make goal and work towards it. That will give you something to focus on.

For example:
Glass tower with offices.
Properly equipped marksmen with training facilty.
etc...

If you have problem with how long stuff takes being done, chances are you are in too big map that clogs your framerate (try small 2x2 map) or you messed up with something (make new thread with your save and ask people to inspect your fortress and offer pointers, it is really nice to get outsider opinion).

Tip: if you see dwarves with Attend Party in 'U'nit menu, you can disband party (and thus force dwarves to find something better to do) by removing room refinition ('q' on item from which you defined room, 'f'ree room) for minute.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »

Sandbox games mean you need to have enough imagination to make fun things.  I for one really like architecture and the reward factor of building giant thingies.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 04:12:44 pm »

I for one really like architecture and the reward factor of building giant thingies.

It's the only reason I ever play Sims, even though I suck at interior design and color schemes.

Begory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 04:35:17 pm »

DF's initial learning curve is more like a learning cliff, essentially the game shoves you off and expects you learn how to fly before you hit the ground.

This made me chuckle a little, it's so true. I also think that's why I'm not getting the full fun tastic experience that Df has to offer as I'm only at a point in which I can sustain the most basic fort. I'm assuming this is like ordering a plain pizza and wondering why it has no flavor. I've also taken some of the advice of making my own fun in Df by naming some of my dwarfs, makes it more interesting to know who that guy is if/when he gets killed. So what I guess I'm asking is, when you started playing dwarf fortress were you having as much fun with it as you are now?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 05:23:31 pm »

This made me chuckle a little, it's so true. I also think that's why I'm not getting the full fun tastic experience that Df has to offer as I'm only at a point in which I can sustain the most basic fort. I'm assuming this is like ordering a plain pizza and wondering why it has no flavor. I've also taken some of the advice of making my own fun in Df by naming some of my dwarfs, makes it more interesting to know who that guy is if/when he gets killed. So what I guess I'm asking is, when you started playing dwarf fortress were you having as much fun with it as you are now?

I've never thought about this before, but... no, actually. When I first discovered DF, I'd already researched the gameplay for a few weeks. I was really eager to play and enjoy the game, but knew that if I didn't prepare myself for it first, I'd have a rough time and probably give up on it easily. So those first few weeks of researching (and eventually making my first few tentative forts) were definitely not as fun, but as I familiarised myself with the keyboard commands, menu layouts, etc, and routine operations became gradually easier to do, I found myself with more time and attention to focus on the rest of the gameplay.

So my advice would be simply, stick at it. Once it feels a little more 'natural', a whole world of fun will open up. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Begory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 06:38:13 pm »

Well thank you your story has inspired me to not give up on Dwarf fortress. I'll properly watch all of Captain_ducks tutorial videos again, might help me see something I've missed.

I know this question doesn't belong here, but I was just wondering how do I know what my dwarf did to another guy in combat? I've heard stories of peoples dwarfs ripping of limbs and beating things to death with them. Where do I find this info? in announcements?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:41:36 pm by Begory »

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 06:49:06 pm »

Right now you have to keep a close eye on the battle. In the next version it will have a combat log to tell you what happens.

Begory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 06:57:44 pm »

Oh I see I just have to but the pieces together, like if a leg go flying away I could assume he lopped it off with something. thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3