Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How to stay entertained in DF  (Read 5555 times)

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to stay entertained in DF
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 06:21:30 pm »

What would be really handy in-game would be like a semi-designate command, where you could highlight an area for designation but where it wouldn't actually result in anything.  That would be great for planning out rooms and corridors ahead of time.  At least, it would be helpful to someone like me  :-\
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 07:01:19 pm »

you can do that. Just don't connect the plans to an area the dwarfs can reach. I usually plan out housing beforehand so i don't accidentally build something else there. when the rooms are finally needed, I just connect it to the main hallway, and the dwarfs start digging it.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 08:12:48 pm »

DF's initial learning curve is more like a learning cliff, essentially the game shoves you off and expects you learn how to fly before you hit the ground.

Once you do grasp what is going on though, you'll wonder why things ever seemed so complicated.  It gets interesting when you start trying to do really crazy stuff with gears, pressure plates, etc.  That's an element I haven't really grasped yet (No dwarfputers for me, yet).
I like to tell my friends that the Dwarf Fortress learning curve is a lot like a 12-feet brick wall smeared with butter.
Derp.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 09:10:32 pm »

Actually DF shoves you off the cliff and expects you to splat in Fun ways. or to grow impressive mega

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 11:25:43 pm »

One of the trick i use to add a new level of interest in each of my ongoing and future doomed fortresses is to rename actually every of my dwarves with the name of someone i know, appreciate, dislike etc...

This is giving a bit more link between the dwarves and their frankly incompetent manager, me, a bit more than if they were named Urist McAverageDwarf.

Anyways, i think "personnalizing" the dwarves may get you caring a bit more about their insanity, and so entertaining your long fortress building time.

I always limit the amount of dwarves my fortress can contain though, as their numbers can get out of hand, breaking a bit the point of renaming them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]