Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: WHAT WILL YOU DO?!?!  (Read 3253 times)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
WHAT WILL YOU DO?!?!
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:51:12 pm »

...When the new version comes out?

I haven't logged in for half a year on the forums, and BAM the day I do, DWARFORT 2010 NEXT WEEK

So I got thinking what I would do, and that is make a giant caste-system in a pyramid scheme that goes like:
Armok Statue
Nobles(read: furnacefuel)
Champions, Legenday heroes
Soldiers, Smiths, Craftsmen, usefuls
Miners, carpenters, masons, militia, hunters
Farmers, food production, wood cutters, milkers
Soap-makers, other arrow catchers. Lye makers, too.

It's going to be like a 1984-esque style fort, with the poorest behind a wooden palisade, slightly exposed outside the mountain in a shoddy village. Expect often tantrum spirals here. The rich guarded by the legendary axe-dwarves and a giant engraved stone wall with war elephants.

But what will YOU do?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:54:24 pm by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT WILL YOU DO?!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 01:53:54 pm »

There shouldn't be weapons anywhere in a 1984 style fort, it's one of my major criticisms with the verse.

And welcome back to the fold.

I plan to decide what to do based on the site.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:56:21 pm »

I shall spontantiously combust because I made a promise not to touch the next version until my turn in the succession game is up.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 01:58:54 pm »

There shouldn't be weapons anywhere in a 1984 style fort, it's one of my major criticisms with the verse.

Well, this is DF. No weapons = No life.
Bah, I'm not even going to use traps except a moat/drawbridge and a few weapon traps at Noblegate.
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 02:06:33 pm »

I had a lot of absurd ideas involving unicorns, digging too deep, magma, and other such potential sources of fun, but I've finally decided the simplest plans are the best plans.
First I shall deal with all homework; not just for the day, but for a week or so.  Then I'll open up the bottle of 1800 Tequila I've been saving for a rainy day.  We'll see where things go from there.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 02:08:20 pm »

Bah, I'm not even going to use traps except a moat/drawbridge and a few weapon traps at Noblegate.

If you wanted to really jump into the 1984ness, have all your military dwarves isolated at the only gate to the fort, be sure to have all excess dwarves working on military goods, then dumping them into the military area, even if they aren't needed. As long as all production goes into war stuff, no one gets to rise and be middle class.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 02:33:24 pm »

If you wanted to really jump into the 1984ness, have all your military dwarves isolated at the only gate to the fort, be sure to have all excess dwarves working on military goods, then dumping them into the military area, even if they aren't needed. As long as all production goes into war stuff, no one gets to rise and be middle class.

So you're suggesting kind of a micro-management HELL? If so, I think this is doable without the new version. I'm talking about the use of burrows to enforce the laws of the proletarian, the party, and the inner party. I'll add 3 hospitals in the lower, middle and upper-class sections. Each one will have progressively better grade tools to simulate faux-capitalism.
Also next up is the use of burrows to kind of "confine" the baron to his house with a tower covered in windows so he can look over the peasants and guffaw at random intervals using complex laugh-algorithms.

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 02:46:31 pm »

I haven't logged in for half a year on the forums, and BAM the day I do, DWARFORT 2010 NEXT WEEK

I just logged in and saw your post.  Where is that announcement?  I've been scouring the forums trying to find it!

Don't shatter my dreams....

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »

The "official" announcement was here:

Quote from: Toady One
3/26/2010 ... The current situation is that I expect a (buggy!) Windows release in about a week ...
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 02:53:12 pm »

I just logged in and saw your post.  Where is that announcement?  I've been scouring the forums trying to find it!

Don't shatter my dreams....

You really should read the development log.

EDIT: Ninja'd
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 03:00:14 pm »

I don't really have any specific plans beyond exploring and figuring out all the new features.  I do want to try to dig deep enough to find magma.  It always irked me that all the fun places never had magma or were very rare.

Erotic Bootlace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 03:08:17 pm »

My plan is to experiment with the new poisons being introduced; consensus seems to be that there will be poison gas in the next version, so I'm eagerly looking forward to building a Dwarven gas chamber; hopefully it'll be possible to make said chamber non-fatal in case any of my Dwarves end up in there by mistake.

(Incidentally, after browsing the forums for 6 months I finally decided to sign up. First post!  ;D)
intPostCount = intPostCount + 1

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 03:15:09 pm »

My plan is to experiment with the new poisons being introduced; consensus seems to be that there will be poison gas in the next version, so I'm eagerly looking forward to building a Dwarven gas chamber; hopefully it'll be possible to make said chamber non-fatal in case any of my Dwarves end up in there by mistake.

(Incidentally, after browsing the forums for 6 months I finally decided to sign up. First post!  ;D)

Well there was the dragon with KO breath (Lolololol) so I think I'll make a megabeast with KO breath and just trap it into a pit where i will conscript soap-makers and let them be knocked all over the room until they die. Maybe in some update the dragon will eat the remains!

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 03:19:24 pm »

Hah!  Wow.  I really should read more than just the forums.  I only really get to on weekends, but wow... I'm really crazy-happy right now.  I've been looking forward to this release more than any 'big-name' game for a long time!

I can't wait to carve out some massive underground cave city, make massive armies of dwarves with the limited armor and weapons I can salvage, and chuck them into the black abyss to see what they can die against.   ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3